Draft Profile Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Brodie and Agresta yes.

SOS would have his say but he's not the main talent identifier anymore.

good to know they are drafting SOS kids without nepotism

Once again you have no idea what you're talking about. Carlton still has a first round pick next year from Adelaide. It's not stocker vs a top 4 pick next year at all. It's stocker and Adelaide's first vs our first next year

I know the Blues are ranked 17th for the flag which would mean a top two pick going to Adelaide. Its at least 50% Stocker vs the top kid in the draft pool.

. We will trade that pick regardless for a big name anyway measuring this will be very difficulty.

yet to be seen

As I stated earlier, it's a win for everyone.

This is what you want to believe yet giving away a Jack Lukosius, Sam Walsh type talent is pretty risky

good to know they are drafting SOS kids without nepotism

I know the Blues are ranked 17th for the flag which would mean a top two pick going to Adelaide. Its at least 50% Stocker vs the top kid in the draft pool.

yet to be seen

This is what you want to believe yet giving away a Jack Lukosius, Sam Walsh type talent is pretty risky

You really have no idea what the draft is like next year, do you?

Heh, how insecure.

Perhaps stick to what is known.
SOS rated Stocker as a top 6 player in this draft. Many think this is just bullshit to appease the great unwashed and it’s obvious some of them have clung on to this in this thread.

But then again, he did rate Jon O Rourke as a top two talent, so perhaps he’s playing us all for fools.

Show me a recruiter that has a perfect record, with 1st round picks

You really have no idea what the draft is like next year, do you?

the South Australian underagers this year, are supposed to have played pretty well.

Bottom 2 you think?

Did you also forget we have another 1st rounder?

Its not just what I think, Blues are @ 17th in flag betting. Its a risky to trade a first rounder with a weak list and a recent history of 18th, 14th, 16th, 18th.

Last edited:
I know the South Australian underagers this year, are supposed to have played pretty well. Could you illuminate me further? I am not a expert on next years crop, i do know most years top2 draft picks are highly regarded

There is no Lukosius, Rankine, Walsh types at the pointy end next year, so far

Its not just what I think, Blues are @ 17th in flag betting. Its a risky to trade a first rounder with a weak list and a recent history of 18th, 14th, 16th, 18th. Typing "its a good trade for everyone" consistently doesn't change this

Betting? Surely you are not basing your forecast around the current markets.

Have a look at the betting for the start of this year, tell me how the following looked
  • Saints 3rd last after starting to build over the previous couple of years
  • Pies finished 12th, 12th, 13th, what were the odds that they would make a GF
  • North finishing outside the bottom 5
  • Essendon, comfortably making the 8
  • Crows missing the 8th
  • WC missing the 8, or top 4 and who would have had them winning a flag
Champion data rated WC with the 11th best list, for 2019. Would you bet on them not making the 8 next year?

Show me a recruiter that has a perfect record, with 1st round picks

Don't care to justify Silvagni here, but GWS were in a unique position with their drafting, in that they could afford to take chances other teams wouldn't have dared.

Its not just what I think, Blues are @ 17th in flag betting. Its a risky to trade a first rounder with a weak list and a recent history of 18th, 14th, 16th, 18th.

It seems you're not listening to what others are telling you.
Given the rating of Stocker by the CFC, the trade was perfectly logical for many reasons and if Carlton do miss on a good talent with what is now Adelaides pick, so be it, as we'll have put a year of development into a player and type the CFC wanted.
The issue isn't as much about what the picks may be next year but for what Stocker shows this year, albeit a lot of it may be in the reserves.

Don't care to justify Silvagni here, but GWS were in a unique position with their drafting, in that they could afford to take chances other teams wouldn't have dared.

Not only could they afford to take chances, they had to. Building a list from scratch, you couldn’t just fill a list with the same type of player simply because they’re the most highly rated. GWS needed to build a list with quality and depth inside and out, forward and back, tall and small. It’s hard to do this without occasionally taking a chance on a player type you need. It’s a whole different scenario to the recruiter with his one first rounder looking to add to an established list.

Given the rating of Stocker by the CFC, the trade was perfectly logical for many reasons and if Carlton do miss on a good talent with what is now Adelaides pick, so be it, as we'll have put a year of development into a player and type the CFC wanted.
The issue isn't as much about what the picks may be next year but for what Stocker shows this year, albeit a lot of it may be in the reserves.
In fact we were incentivised to take risks. We could never keep them all and the high end being as good as possible was the sensible course.

Criticism of SOS at GWS is common but he really was in a unique position. There's nothing to compare it with. You also have to remember the entire club administration, including list management and recruiting staff were new and finding their feet.

Everyone was so worried we'd fail concessions just kept being being thrown at us. They were hastily pulled back after after 2016 but that was a result of the opportunity being managed well.

What would have happened if he had not been there ?

I dont think he adds much and would have been better off getting games into De Koning , For carlton it wasnt about winning games the last 4-5 games but development
Got to look after De Koning so they probably would have played Cashboult who was playing out at Northern.

Betting? Surely you are not basing your forecast around the current markets.

Have a look at the betting for the start of this year, tell me how the following looked

Bookies odds, are a rough guide to the competition. Not crystal balling the exact standings in 12 months time. The markets are not perfect but being multi billion dollar industry they hold more weight than some biased fans talking about their own teams on the internet.

There is no Lukosius, Rankine, Walsh types at the pointy end next year, so far

whats the top5 looking like next draft? sofar

Bookies odds, are a rough guide to the competition. Not crystal balling the exact standings in 12 months time. The markets are not perfect but being multi billion dollar industry they hold more weight than some biased fans talking about their own teams on the internet.

You would be a brave person to place a wager this far out, unless of course people have inside knowledge on injuries and other information, that could sway a team's finishing position

whats the top5 looking like next draft? sofar

In the middle of finalising a top 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did listen I do not agree with your conclusion. If I were a fan of a rebuilding club (and i had been for a long ass time), I would be concerned at trading away, what is predicted by experts/markets to essentially top2 pick.

Obviously Carlton have gone the other way. We still see how it plays out long term.

Kind of looks like LDU. Hopefully for Carlton fans he doesn’t play like him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back