Draft Profile Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

At this (admittedly early) stage, the top 3 next year look like immediate impact midfielders.
I no most supporters on a whole believe carlton will be bottom 3. But in saying that... there is a different feeling about carlton and as a supporter witnessing whats been going on the last few years i sense a change. And i think most blues supporters are very optimistic about next year and beyond because of the list sos and co have put together the last few years.... with the second half of the draft and rookie daft to come.. cartlon might go into next year as the big unnkown. And blind sight teams because of it and score some handy wins.

I no most supporters on a whole believe carlton will be bottom 3. But in saying that... there is a different feeling about carlton and as a supporter witnessing whats been going on the last few years i sense a change. And i think most blues supporters are very optimistic about next year and beyond because of the list sos and co have put together the last few years.... with the second half of the draft and rookie daft to come.. cartlon might go into next year as the big unnkown. And blind sight teams because of it and score some handy wins.
west coast were expected to drop far too.

It will be very interesting to see the comparison between RCD and Stocker in 2-3 years time. Richmond were extremely keen on Stocker from what I understand, and this just adds to what is already a ripper rivalry.

yep interesting. I guess my gut is stocker is the great get, but I guess we have nothing to lose with RCD and never had the choice anyways

Seriously though, gutsy and possibly smart move by the Blues.
If Stocker is the ideal midfield type for your current group, why not get him now instead of going into the draft next year.
Swapping first round picks with the Crows to get a player who by all accounts is a quality player who should probably be rated as a top 10 draft pick may be a gamble worth taking.
Best of luck.:thumbsu:

SOS has revealed that we rated Liam Stocker “well inside the top 10”.
Was kind of shocked when I first heard this trade, but I’m actually liking the trade now.
We already have a substantial amount of high end draft talent.

Pick 13 Cripps 23yo
Pick 3 Dow 19yo
Pick 1 Walsh 18yo
Pick 1 Weitering 20yo
Pick 5 Setterfield 20yo
Pick 6 SPS 20 yo.
Pick 4 Pickett 22yo
Pick 6 Marchbank 21yo
Pick 3 Plowman 24yo
Pick 10 McKay 20yo
Pick 12 Curnow 21yo
Pick 12 Docherty 25yo
Pick 10 LoB 19yo
Pick 13 Kennedy 21yo
Pick 19 Stocker 18yo
Pick 21 Cunningham 21yo
Pick 25 Fisher 20yo

What the list needs now is one or two mature A grade midfielders, our first rounder next year should be used as trade currency, so where that picks lands is less important to us.
Given that SOS rated Stocker as a top ten pick, if the crows pick lands inside 10, then its basically two top 10 picks for one top five pick, which is pretty close to a win win.
Also really liked that the club has backed themselves in, it may back fire but we already have plenty of young talent coming through so it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Last edited:
He’s too stocky.
119286.jpg

It will be very interesting to see the comparison between RCD and Stocker in 2-3 years time. Richmond were extremely keen on Stocker from what I understand, and this just adds to what is already a ripper rivalry.
There is not much rivalry right now though, everyone feels a bit sorry for a club in a hole the size Carlton is in.
It's a long, long road back for the Blues, and I reckon Stocker will be well into his prime before they are serious contenders again. Baby steps..hopefully this year the Blues can start scoring a hundred points without be annihilated the other way. 2020 aim to finish outside the bottom 2, and so on.

Was kind of shocked when I first heard this trade, but I’m actually liking the trade now.

Pick 13 Cripps 23yo
Pick 3 Dow 19yo
Pick 1 Walsh 18yo
Pick 1 Weitering 20yo
Pick 5 Setterfield 20yo
Pick 6 SPS 20 yo.
Pick 4 Pickett 22yo
Pick 6 Marchbank 21yo
Pick 3 Plowman 24yo
Pick 10 McKay 20yo
Pick 12 Curnow 21yo
Pick 12 Docherty 25yo
Pick 10 LoB 19yo
Pick 13 Kennedy 21yo
Pick 19 Stocker 18yo
Pick 21 Cunningham 21yo
Pick 25 Fisher 20yo

What the list needs now is one or two mature A grade midfielders, our first rounder next year should be used as trade currency, so where that picks lands is less important to us.
Given that SOS rated Stocker as a top ten pick, if the crows pick lands inside 10, then its basically two top 10 picks for one top five pick, which is pretty close to a win win.
Also really liked that the club has backed themselves in, it may back fire but we already have plenty of young talent coming through so it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Pretty much agree with that. You need some mature mids to help your kids for a couple of years until they develop. The kids will be inconsistent until they are around 24yo. Some serious talent there. Time for it to be developed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is not much rivalry right now though, everyone feels a bit sorry for a club in a hole the size Carlton is in.
It's a long, long road back for the Blues, and I reckon Stocker will be well into his prime before they are serious contenders again. Baby steps..hopefully this year the Blues can start scoring a hundred points without be annihilated the other way. 2020 aim to finish outside the bottom 2, and so on.
The process wont be this slow. 2020 you will see carlton in the top 8. But somehow with your logic i dont see u looking past next week

Pick 13 Cripps 23yo
Pick 3 Dow 19yo
Pick 1 Walsh 18yo
Pick 1 Weitering 20yo
Pick 5 Setterfield 20yo
Pick 6 SPS 20 yo.
Pick 4 Pickett 22yo
Pick 6 Marchbank 21yo
Pick 3 Plowman 24yo
Pick 10 McKay 20yo
Pick 12 Curnow 21yo
Pick 12 Docherty 25yo
Pick 10 LoB 19yo
Pick 13 Kennedy 21yo
Pick 19 Stocker 18yo
Pick 21 Cunningham 21yo
Pick 25 Fisher 20yo

As a Crows fan i reckon it's a win/win. Blues valued him a lot higher than P19, and with the Crows depth atm we're not really in need of 4 new players coming in. We'll likely select Valente at 23 if Hill goes to WC with 23, and that will be considered a successful draft for us.

We sorely missed B Crouch last year (he played 17 games in 2017), and apparently he's fit and rearing to go this season, so fingers crossed we can make the 8 this year. If we do, and Blues finish in the bottom 5, it will still be a good P swap for us, in the least it means we don't have to f#!k around with P swaps to get further down the list next year!

Stocker looks a decent player and is a Blues fan if i'm not wrong? All the best to him.

I always find this interesting. Is it some sort of instant get out free card because he rated him there?

The fact is, more than 6 or 7 other recruiters rated him well outside of the top 10.

I like picks 19, 20 and 21 in this draft.
Stocker looks the safest pick and projects as a safe second tier mid in the AFL.

Smith could be the next Clayton Oliver or the next Matheson. I like him at this range.

RCD could be the best of the lot, but also the most likely to be a bust of the three.

Carlton overpaid but got their man, who they rated higher than most other clubs. Richmond and the Lions quietly waited for their player to fall through to them. Kudos to all clubs.

I dont think SOS will find too many that agree on Stocker being worth a top 10 pick.

I mean sure you wouldn’t have found too many thinking Cripps was a top 10 pick either. In the rub, consensus doesn’t mean dick, either SOS has got this one right, or he’s got it wrong. We’re not going to know the answer to that for a few years to come at least.

I like picks 19, 20 and 21 in this draft.
Stocker looks the safest pick and projects as a safe second tier mid in the AFL.

Smith could be the next Clayton Oliver or the next Matheson. I like him at this range.

RCD could be the best of the lot, but also the most likely to be a bust of the three.

Carlton overpaid but got their man, who they rated higher than most other clubs. Richmond and the Lions quietly waited for their player to fall through to them. Kudos to all clubs.
Overpaid? We could get an upgrade on our 2019 first and get him for free? Have to wait and see what happens next season.

I mean sure you wouldn’t have found too many thinking Cripps was a top 10 pick either. In the rub, consensus doesn’t mean dick, either SOS has got this one right, or he’s got it wrong. We’re not going to know the answer to that for a few years to come at least.

SOS has put it on the line. Perhaps smart, perhaps stupid. But it's rare that a club will actually what looks like a poor trade on face value because they rate things differently. I reckon there's quite a few trades that don't happen because clubs are worried how the supporters would take it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-22/the-blues-and-crows-trade-how-the-numbers-stack-up

Of course, the obvious risk is that Carlton endures another season to forget in 2019. A bottom-place finish would obviously leave them without the coveted pick No.1.

But based on the AFL's Draft Value Index (DVI), the Blues will accrue more value from the deal should it finish 14th or above next year – regardless of the Crows' fortunes.

Even if Adelaide wins the flag – which is arguably a bigger 'if' than Carlton finishing 14th on the ladder – the Blues will have gained more DVI points than they will lose from the trade.

SOS has put it on the line. Perhaps smart, perhaps stupid. But it's rare that a club will actually what looks like a poor trade on face value because they rate things differently. I reckon there's quite a few trades that don't happen because clubs are worried how the supporters would take it.
At the end of the day, we've hit the draft hard for three years now. Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Cuningham, Kennedy, Petrevski-Seton, Setterfield, Dow, O'Brien, Walsh and Stocker (and that's just the fist round picks, not to mention Fisher, Williamson etc).

I've always espoused the benefit of youth density - getting as many good young kids into a club at the same age and at the same time so that they all epak at relatively the same time. Youth density was the driving force behind the success of Geelong and Hawthorn who both hit consecutive drafts very hard.

It comes to a point in time where we needed to sacrafice potential better draft selections a year ahead, to solidify the group of kids we have at the moment and increase that density, rather than spread it out.

That was ultimately the issue we had with "The Chosen Ones" - Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzeuer (well that and the fact we we couldn't hit a late pick to save ourselves) despite the elite talent, we never added the density of youth around them to be successful. While later we would add good young players like Yarran (pre breakdown) we never had a large group of players peak at the same time, when Murphy and Gibbs were hitting their straps, Judd was on the way down and Yarran had just been drafted. Also the fact all the othe rplayers we drafted were useless contributed to this but the point remains, our elite talent was spread across a 10 year period from Judd - Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer - Yarran.

Even if we end up giving up losing out on the draft pick swap next season with adelaide (which may not occur, or may be negligible btw) the added densiity will assist in our development.

We have a 7 year period from now were Cripps, Docherty, Plowman, Marchbank, Curnow, McKay, McGovern, Weitering, SPS, Dow, LoB, Walsh, Stocker, Fisher, Williamson, Kennedy, Setterfield, Newman, Silvagni etc will all be peaking around the same time. We are in a good place.

I dont think SOS will find too many that agree on Stocker being worth a top 10 pick.
Who in the current top 10 drops out for him?
Chayce Jones perhaps although a few clubs rated him highly. Hard to see Stocker begin rated more highly and Blakey or Caldwell who both slipped outside the top ten as well.

Either way it seems like a win/win trade though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back