Draft Profile Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Who in the current top 10 drops out for him?
Chayce Jones perhaps although a few clubs rated him highly. Hard to see Stocker begin rated more highly and Blakey or Caldwell who both slipped outside the top ten as well.

Either way it seems like a win/win trade though.
No doubt it will probably be a win-win, just my opinion that Stocker wasn't worthy of a top 10 pick.

Overpaid? We could get an upgrade on our 2019 first and get him for free? Have to wait and see what happens next season.
A top 4 pick for 10-12 and 19 would be overpaying.

But SOS believes Stocker is well inside the top ten so we will wait and see on that. Looks more of a safe second tier mid though. Solid pick.

I agree with you
It also depends on the strength of next year's draft. Use your think brain.

And the known fact that the draft is a roll of the dice anyway.

And we can always trade back up the draft order... with... something.

On the official AFL numbers it looks like a good trade. In reality its wait and see.

I don't think anyone thought live pick trading would be as interesting as it has turned out to be.

I don't think anyone thought live pick trading would be as interesting as it has turned out to be.
Yep - especially with the Swans begin clever, gaming a pick in the 20s and still snaring Blakey.

A top 4 pick for 10-12 and 19 would be overpaying.

But SOS believes Stocker is well inside the top ten so we will wait and see on that. Looks more of a safe second tier mid though. Solid pick.
And Pick #8 Carlton for Pick #10 Adelaide and Pick #19 (Stocker) will be underpaying... will have to see how the season goes next year.

At the end of the day, we've hit the draft hard for three years now. Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Cuningham, Kennedy, Petrevski-Seton, Setterfield, Dow, O'Brien, Walsh and Stocker (and that's just the fist round picks, not to mention Fisher, Williamson etc).

I've always espoused the benefit of youth density - getting as many good young kids into a club at the same age and at the same time so that they all epak at relatively the same time. Youth density was the driving force behind the success of Geelong and Hawthorn who both hit consecutive drafts very hard.

It comes to a point in time where we needed to sacrafice potential better draft selections a year ahead, to solidify the group of kids we have at the moment and increase that density, rather than spread it out.

That was ultimately the issue we had with "The Chosen Ones" - Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzeuer (well that and the fact we we couldn't hit a late pick to save ourselves) despite the elite talent, we never added the density of youth around them to be successful. While later we would add good young players like Yarran (pre breakdown) we never had a large group of players peak at the same time, when Murphy and Gibbs were hitting their straps, Judd was on the way down and Yarran had just been drafted. Also the fact all the othe rplayers we drafted were useless contributed to this but the point remains, our elite talent was spread across a 10 year period from Judd - Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer - Yarran.

Even if we end up giving up losing out on the draft pick swap next season with adelaide (which may not occur, or may be negligible btw) the added densiity will assist in our development.

We have a 7 year period from now were Cripps, Docherty, Plowman, Marchbank, Curnow, McKay, McGovern, Weitering, SPS, Dow, LoB, Walsh, Stocker, Fisher, Williamson, Kennedy, Setterfield, Newman, Silvagni etc will all be peaking around the same time. We are in a good place.

Well said. Although I must admit to being disappointed that Carlton seems to have a long term plan. The old style of knee jerk quick fixes was so much more fun as a tigerhead. :p:devil:

Well said. Although I must admit to being disappointed that Carlton seems to have a long term plan. The old style of knee jerk quick fixes was so much more fun as a tigerhead. :p:devil:

First time we have really gone down this route. A rebuild from the ground up.

And Pick #8 Carlton for Pick #10 Adelaide and Pick #19 (Stocker) will be underpaying... will have to see how the season goes next year.
Hmmm... 11th this year won 12 games.

Not sure you will get there seeing you have such a young squad but like your optimism.
You’d be hoping to have an uplift of 2 games from 2018 that’s for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many things need to be considered when assessing this trade

I had Stocker ranked as a late first, but you can make a case for inside the top 12. More importantly, I don't rate the underage talent this year (next year's draftees) as strong as this year's top 12, at the same stage. Next year, so far, is panning out to be a more even spread of talent, similar to 2016. If Stocker was in next year's draft, he would be in the conversation as a top 6 pick

If we finish around 14th-15th and the Crows 5th-6th, then it is a win/win for both sides. Any other variance, could sway the deal, considerably

Many things need to be considered when assessing this trade

I had Stocker ranked as a late first, but you can make a case for inside the top 12. More importantly, I don't rate the underage talent this year (next year's draftees) as strong as this year's top 12, at the same stage. Next year, so far, is panning out to be a more even spread of talent, similar to 2016. If Stocker was in next year's draft, he would be in the conversation as a top 6 pick

If we finish around 14th-15th and the Crows 5th-6th, then it is a win/win for both sides. Any other variance, could sway the deal, considerably
Just because you say something doesn't make it remotely close to being true. One paced inside midfielders tend to slide, especially when they don't have the endurance or defensive capabilities of other prospects. You got Stocker at his true value, which isn't a top 10 pick. Plenty of duds have won the Morrish medal.

Just because you say something doesn't make it remotely close to being true. One paced inside midfielders tend to slide, especially when they don't have the endurance or defensive capabilities of other prospects. You got Stocker at his true value, which isn't a top 10 pick. Plenty of duds have won the Morrish medal.

Not sure how much junior footy you watch, but I can tell you that Stocker would easily be in top 6 conversations if he was in next year's draft.

I really couldn't give a stuff about Brownlows, AA, Morrish medals or any other award, as you only have to look at the amount of 1st rounders that are part of flag winning sides, let alone players taken later in the draft.

If you think he is one paced, it tells me you have no idea as to his playing style, but if you still want to describe him that way, one paced, enjoy the following

Mitchell, Cunnington, O'Meara, Cripps, Parker, M Crouch, etc, etc

You have proof to this, if so ,show me.

You can’t really look at it in terms of pure metrics. We clearly wanted another good mid in this draft, and we also get 12 months of development and game time into him.

Balances out our list nicely

:thumbsu:

Agree. Problem is it’s mostly Carlton supporters that want to frame Stocker as a top 10 pick. Like it matters. Plenty of top players get picked up at 19 or more. Being a pick 19 doesn’t make him any less. He could end up being better than Walsh.

Good luck Liam don’t let any of this bullshit get to you.

Hmmm... 11th this year won 12 games.

Not sure you will get there seeing you have such a young squad but like your optimism.
You’d be hoping to have an uplift of 2 games from 2018 that’s for sure.

We have a young squad but surely they will not all be playing every week like last season,

B: Plowman Jones Weitering
HB: Docherty Marchbank Simpson
C: Walsh Cripps Fisher
HF: Thomas Curnow Murphy
F: Fasolo McKay McGovern
R: Kreuzer Setterfield Kennedy
I: Ed Curnow , Dow, SPS, Newman
E: De Koning Stocker Lang

Thats a pretty good mix just need the right game plan and they need to stay fit and healthy. There is alot of upside here and expecting a spike - a big spike.

We have a young squad but surely they will not all be playing every week like last season,

B: Plowman Jones Weitering
HB: Docherty Marchbank Simpson
C: Walsh Cripps Fisher
HF: Thomas Curnow Murphy
F: Fasolo McKay McGovern
R: Kreuzer Setterfield Kennedy
I: Ed Curnow , Dow, SPS, Newman
E: De Koning Stocker Lang

Thats a pretty good mix just need the right game plan and they need to stay fit and healthy. There is alot of upside here and expecting a spike - a big spike.

Yep, Bolton’s 66 game rebuild has run its race. If you didn’t at least triple your wins from 2018 they should be looking at him. But that would still hand Adelaide pick four in the 2019 draft.

It’s looking much better.as you said your youth and inexperience will be exposed next year. As will having Jones still playing full back in your starting 18 and the quicker you can get Kennedy out of your first tier of mids the better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back