Draft Profile Liam Stocker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rich01

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I feel sorry for the attention Stocker will receive and the additional pressure. His first season hasn't started yet and already there is a 39 page thread on bigfooty speculating about whether he was a mistake because he is still building his tank.
Was it his tank that was an issue or his unwillingness to run defensively.

I haven’t seen any issues with his tank in TAC cup or draft camp testing.

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
CCFC
Shane Edwards a 2nd rounder, Caddy a first rounder.
Exactly right. Most clubs can hit the odd rookie selection and make them a role player. Credit to Lambert for becoming more than just a bit part player but the majority will come from your first and second round. Anyone suggesting otherwise is wrong.

There is a myth surrounding Richmond’s drafting. Martin, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance, Caddy, Prestia, Vlaustin, Ellis, Higgins, Rioli, even Grigg, all first rounders. Plenty of second rounders too.

I’m glad the Blues are hitting this part of the draft hard. Maybe in 6-8 years we’ll reap the rewards. Hopefully earlier.

AFL Club
Carlton
Huh? I’m simply asking a question. No need to be so defensive.
It’s no issue either way but I didn’t see any issues with his tank in the TAC or in testing.
Every article I've read about him has highlighted his lack of endurance. Richmond confronted him on it during the Pre draft interviews. His obviously has some great attributes but just needs to work on a few aspects of him game. Pretty simple

Toadvine

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Every article I've read about him has highlighted his lack of endurance. Richmond confronted him on it during the Pre draft interviews. His obviously has some great attributes but just needs to work on a few aspects of him game. Pretty simple
Richmond didn't actually confront him on his endurance. Acording to stocker they confronted him on his "defensive transition".

https://outline.com/8kvYVD

Different things.

Last edited:

Toadvine

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Did you read the whole article? It was all about his endurance as the issue, even in relation to defensive transition.
I did. Ralph said it was fitness. Stocker says he did a mini pre season to improve his endurance but he says that Richmond "struck him at his weakness... Defensive transition"

There is a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monkey King

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
I did. Ralph said it was fitness. Stocker says he did a mini pre season to improve his endurance but he says that Richmond "struck him at his weakness... Defensive transition"

There is a difference.
Further on, still commenting about Richmond’s assessment, Stocker said “... my endurance has long been something people have criticised me on”. Pretty clear this was an issue that was raised, cemented by the fact that his remedy for what arose in the Richmond interview was to work with Brayshaw to improve his endurance.

Marcel Proust

All Australian
AFL Club
Richmond
Was it his tank that was an issue or his unwillingness to run defensively.

I haven’t seen any issues with his tank in TAC cup or draft camp testing.
Knightmare - the ESPN AFL draft media guru, actually praises his endurance as a positive attribute

17. Liam Stocker (VIC)
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 183cm, 83kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 10-30
Similar to: David Armitage
Rationale: Taking out the Morrish Medal for the TAC Cup's best player, Stocker has played a consistent brand of football for Sandringham and has been one of the stoppage stars of the TAC Cup. Drops as others rise.
October Ranking: 13
Strengths:
Stoppage work
Contested ball-winning
Reacts quickest to 50/50 balls
Tackling
Distribution by hand in heavy traffic
Strength to shrug tackles
Endurance
Work rate

Agility
Acceleration over the first 10m
Clean skills
Kicking to targets inside 50m
Weaknesses:
No clear second position
Outside accumulation
Contested marking

espn.com.au/afl/story/afl-draft-chris-doerre-knightmare-power-rankings-caldwell-collier-dawkins-top-10

Monkey King

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Knightmare - the ESPN AFL draft media guru, actually praises his endurance as a positive attribute
Looks like he missed something most others picked up on, including Stocker himself.

It’s a good example of how draft watchers observations should not be taken as gospel.

Marcel Proust

All Australian
AFL Club
Richmond
Looks like he missed something most others picked up on, including Stocker himself.

It’s a good example of how draft watchers observations should not be taken as gospel.
I personally wouldn't too much Stocks in Stockers words on himself. He isn't realistically going to say im pretty lazy the other way and dont track back when my opponent has the ball to the media or whoever talking to in that piece.

Id guess 90+% of draftees "need to need to get better with endurance. not too many of them being afl standard from day 1. pretty stock standard answer from Liam

bmaurizio

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Liam will become a a high quality AFL midfielder, let’s give the youngster a little time to get adjusted to AFL level not all youngsters are as well prepared as Sam Walsh.

Top Bottom