Toast Libba Re-signs

Remove this Banner Ad

webbo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If he blitzes 2019 it will have been a terrible decision not a masterstroke. If he comes back the player he can be he'll have offers coming from everyone and we'd have to offer him significantly more than what he would have received in a two year deal from now and he still might choose to leave.

The only way that this is a good decision is if he has a shitty year or gets hurt again.

Not a fan of how Power operates.
If he has an easily attainable 2nd year trigger and he blitzes it, then that wouldn't happen?
I really cannot see Libba going to another club, no matter what offers come his way. I don't see it happening.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Your scenario heaps all the hypothetical downside on Power if Libba plays well next year whilst failing to acknowledge the role that a hard stance and one year contract may play in prompting a strong year.

With so much dissatisfaction at the previous BAU approach to dishing out contracts, I’m surprised Power would receive criticism for a harder-edged approach.

That assessment also fails to acknowledge the message the approach Power has taken to contracts (including previous re-signings, negotiations and delistings) sends to the playing group: this is a meritocracy and you’ll be rewarded for form and potential, not what you did a few years ago.

If Libba dominates next year, I’m happy to take a dominant season from him and (IF the contract doesn’t have a second year trigger) reward him with an extra couple hundred thousand that he deserves rather than take the ‘let the players do things on their own terms until we have to turf them out’ approach of past years.

I suspect short-term contracts will be the way with Libba from here on out.
I'd rather not ascribe motivations I'm not sure exist. This may be a hard stance, it equally may be a lack of faith in Tom and his injuries. Either can be equally destructive or constructive as could a show in faith that a multi year contract would communicate.

Your point about criticism would have been wonderful had I ever criticized the previous approach. Just because a vocal group have condemned it doesn't mean we all did. Personally I haven't and was quite comfortable with giving good players the contract they deserved. Something Power seems adverse to. I don't believe this is a meritocracy you describe.

Last edited:

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
If he blitzes 2019 it will have been a terrible decision not a masterstroke. If he comes back the player he can be he'll have offers coming from everyone and we'd have to offer him significantly more than what he would have received in a two year deal from now and he still might choose to leave.

The only way that this is a good decision is if he has a shitty year or gets hurt again.

There's another possible outcome which you're conviently overlooking; the one-year contract could end up being the extra motivation required for him to get the absolute best out of himself next year.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

FMD, talk about bringing the vibe down on an upbeat good news thread.

Not one of Libbas last 3 years deserves a lucrative long term contract. Add to that his injury issues and off field habits ( he looks 50, he’s cooked ) and one year with optional second is bang on the money.

I’d be worried if Power was handing out contracts the way you’d like him to. I really would.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
FMD, talk about bringing the vibe down on an upbeat good news thread.

Not one of Libbas last 3 years deserves a lucrative long term contract. Add to that his injury issues and off field habits ( he looks 50, he’s cooked ) and one year with optional second is bang on the money.

I’d be worried if Power was handing out contracts the way you’d like him to. I really would.
Who's asking for a lucrative multi year contract?
If you're going to argue with me at least try to vaguely understand my opinion.

Why is the default on this forum to take a post that reads "hey guys I think I farted" and respond "I can't believe you said you took a massive diarrhea dump on the pope's head with the splash back hitting the Dalai Lama!"?

Last edited:

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Sorry IM, poster above my post said it was basically a two year deal, was kinda referring to that being a master stroke if he goes well next year.

Not sure on Power yet myself. Made some calls I agree with and others I disagree with. Going to need a bigger body of work to see how big a fan of him I am.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry IM, poster above my post said it was basically a two year deal, was kinda referring to that being a master stroke if he goes well next year.

Not sure on Power yet myself. Made some calls I agree with and others I disagree with. Going to need a bigger body of work to see how big a fan of him I am.
Power would earn some goodwill if he can get The Bont locked away early.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Power would earn some goodwill if he can get The Bont locked away early.
I've heard the Bont's manager is trying to get the club to retrospectively pay him what he's worth ie. the contract he's on now is unders and the manager is saying the club owes him money because of this... make of that what you will

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

that type of play can come across as cynical and shifty - trying to lock a player in for 'unders', basically. I think this way is transparent and straight up - play s**t and get s**t. play well and get what you deserve next year. Ive got no problem with paying good players good money. Paying s**t players good money on the other hand

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've heard the Bont's manager is trying to get the club to retrospectively pay him what he's worth ie. the contract he's on now is unders and the manager is saying the club owes him money because of this... make of that what you will

Bont, we want you to write a number on this piece of paper. We wont look at it. we will just say thanks

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS

Awkward scenario this. It is as though the manager saying I stuffed up when I did his last contract can we recoup some of that money as he went better than what we thought.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
that type of play can come across as cynical and shifty - trying to lock a player in for 'unders', basically. I think this way is transparent and straight up - play s**t and get s**t. play well and get what you deserve next year. Ive got no problem with paying good players good money. Paying s**t players good money on the other hand
I get what you're saying. And I don't entirely disagree.
But equally it can come across as putting faith in the player. It's up to the list management to sell it.

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I suppose if the Bont's manager was really concerned about not getting Marcus his true value in his contract last time around he can always give up some of his commission to make up the loss.

Odds of that happening - 1, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1 (I only stopped typing then because my finger got tired)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back