Universal Love IT WAS FUN NOT HAVING A LID IN 2019 - BUT GWS AND RICHMOND NAILED THE 2020 LID BACK ON

Is the Lid now “OFFICIALLY” off?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...gest-home-game-since-fev-20190418-p51fef.html

Plenty to play for tonight. Crapped out pants last weekend in front of a biggish crowd at the MCG. Need to justify all the lids in deep space tonight.

Must win!
Crapped our pants again. Can anyone really believe that we went into this game with an UNCHANGED LINE UP and AN UNCHANGED GAME PLAN? Fagan might be a good bloke but you have to wonder about his abilities as a coach. What did he think was going to happen tonight? Where was the improvement going to come from. I seriously think we need to start thinking about our next coach.

Last edited:
KXUgPmys0Tafuse1CckZxPzemyU=.gif

Take the lid off and you get smacked in the face.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Yeah, hard to argue with being LIDLESS after the last 2 games :(

BUT......

We are 3-2, with a patch of winnable games coming up. I think it's time for a few new faces in the starting 22 - freshen it up a little.

Fagan has got his work cut out for him over the next month to stop the last fortnight becoming the next 4 weeks.

Sausages

Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
I tell ya what though - I'd hate to be in the Lions Media department after tonight's s**t show....trying to put any sort of positive spin on the last 2 games is nearly impossible.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Crapped our pants again. Can anyone really believe that we went into this game with an UNCHANGED LINE UP and AN UNCHANGED GAME PLAN? Fagan might be a good bloke but you have to wonder about his abilities as a coach. What did he think was going to happen tonight? Where was the improvement going to come from. I seriously think we need to start thinking about our next coach.
Have to laugh at those who criticised those who openly said how ridiculous it was that we didn't make any changes and continued to reward mediocre performers and that we would lose by more than 39.5 points.

Don't think it could ever have been more obvious that we were going to spanked tonight...looking forward to the BS one liners that will get trotted out by the club and those apologists to justify this rubbish tonight.

Hopefully the AFL learns to not reward the club with any big games like this because it is evident the club and players just aren't up to it. Happened in 2016 against Collingwood and again tonight.

Just utterly embarrassing.:rolleyes:

Jul 26, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Middlesbrough, The Roys
I tell ya what though - I'd hate to be in the Lions Media department after tonight's s**t show....trying to put any sort of positive spin on the last 2 games is nearly impossible.
Just got home and struggling to find any positives tonight. Well beaten in every area. Poor performance reminiscent of 3 years ago. Having said that, give credit to the pies. Every time there was a 50/50 ball or it broke loose, they had 3 players to gather and get moving. We got seriously stung by the umps on quite a few occasions but it really didn't matter to the result.

Lid well and truly on.

Sausages

Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Have to laugh at those who criticised those who openly said how ridiculous it was that we didn't make any changes and continued to reward mediocre performers and that we would lose by more than 39.5 points.

Don't think it could ever have been more obvious that we were going to spanked tonight...looking forward to the BS one liners that will get trotted out by the club and those apologists to justify this rubbish tonight.

Hopefully the AFL learns to not reward the club with any big games like this because it is evident the club and players just aren't up to it. Happened in 2016 against Collingwood and again tonight.

I don't think anyone is going to apologise for it mate - but trotting about predicting doom is, to my mind, pretty uninspiring. There's nothing wrong with giving blokes a chance to improve in the seniors, which is what has occurred. Some guys have now had 2 very poor games in a row, but there's still few players behind them knocking the doors down, hence the seniors have been afforded some leeway. The last fortnight hasn't been great, true - but it's not a total failure if it can be used as a learning exercise.

You're entitled to feel as you do, the same as I am entitled to put my faith in the coaches and decisions they make. I make no claims to be an insightful footy assessor, nor do I take any joy in being right or wrong - I take joy when the team wins, not because I predicted it, but because they won. Likewise, I hurt when they lose and take no great joy in that.

There's a lot of work to do at the Lions. But nothing about people feeling positive is to be rejected, irrespective of whether you feel that enthusiasm is misplaced or misguided. Despite what you might think right now, I still feel we have made progress when the sum of 5 games is assessed. We were very unlikely to go from 17th to a flag - but, a 3-2 scoreline doesn't mean everything is ****ed either - you'll see what you want to see.

What the AFL decides to do with this fixture is out of our control now - it would have been nice to make a better case, but that opportunity has past us. I'm not bothered by that, at all - I'm sure the club executive is, but they are paid to. My only concern is in trying to see a bigger picture, even when it doesn't look so bright. To do anything less, cheapens me in my own eyes - which is important to me. Posts like yours suggest that you take some satisfaction in saying "I told you so" - which isn't the best look imo. /shrug

Last edited:

Sausages

Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Just got home and struggling to find any positives tonight. Well beaten in every area. Poor performance reminiscent of 3 years ago. Having said that, give credit to the pies. Every time there was a 50/50 ball or it broke loose, they had 3 players to gather and get moving. We got seriously stung by the umps on quite a few occasions but it really didn't matter to the result.

Lid well and truly on.

Yep - they outplayed us convincingly. It sucks, but that's how it is.

My LID is on too.

(actually it's off just a teensy weensy little bit, but not enough to say it too loudly :D)

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

Easy to stick the boot in afterwards isn't it.

Sausages

Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Not when you said it well before a ball had even been bounced.

Then what are seeking? Recognition? People to applaud your foresight? Nobody in the LID OFF crew shouted you down, or took you to task for giving your point of view, so why joyously dance in here and gleefully point out that you made the call earlier in the week?

I just don't understand your motivations - you felt we'd lose, yay for you. Not sure what you expect people to respond with.

Not when you said it well before a ball had even been bounced.

Congratulations you're a prophet.

(Still didn't actually post your team though)

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Then what are seeking? Recognition? People to applaud your foresight? Nobody in the LID OFF crew shouted you down, or took you to task for giving your point of view, so why joyously dance in here and gleefully point out that you made the call earlier in the week?

I just don't understand your motivations - you felt we'd lose, yay for you. Not sure what you expect people to respond with.
I liked your post. If I could like it twice I would. But responding to it & then liking that is the best I can do.

Which proves what exactly?

That it's hard to take your whinging seriously when you are never actually specific about what you want changed.

Note you seem to be the only one celebrating tonight. Would you like a "Dylan12 was right" thread because I'm happy to oblige if it will make you feel better after losses. You've been death riding the team since 2014 at least.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
That it's hard to take your whinging seriously when you are never actually specific about what you want changed.

Note you seem to be the only one celebrating tonight. Would you like a "Dylan12 was right" thread because I'm happy to oblige if it will make you feel better after losses. You've been death riding the team since 2014 at least.
I raised many times that changes should be made and those that were horrendous against Essendon and even weeks before replaced. Why do I need to select a "team" as such?

Knock yourself out if you need to start any sort thread, but I'd go one better and recommend you use your ignore button, particularly given you're so aggrieved regarding my positing and stick me on it.

Its ok for you to actively criticise me when I suggested earlier in the week that we'd get pumped tonight or question the rational on how on earth you could name an unchanged line up after the debacle of last week and then when we do get pumped when it was pretty evident that we would, you have another go again because I get on here and say afterwards that was expected.

If you consider that anyone that thought we'd get a hiding tonight is death riding the club, then so be it, but lets not pretend that many of the players got ahead of themselves or weren't drinking their own bath water, the watch Jarrod Berry's clip from last week where he admitted as much.

I raised many times that changes should be made and those that were horrendous against Essendon and even weeks before replaced. Why do I need to select a "team" as such?

Knock yourself out if you need to start any sort thread, but I'd go one better and recommend you use your ignore button, particularly given you're so aggrieved regarding my positing and stick me on it.

Its ok for you to actively criticise me when I suggested earlier in the week that we'd get pumped tonight or question the rational on how on earth you could name an unchanged line up after the debacle of last week and then when we do get pumped when it was pretty evident that we would, you have another go again because I get on here and say afterwards that was expected.

If you consider that anyone that thought we'd get a hiding tonight is death riding the club, then so be it, but lets not pretend that many of the players got ahead of themselves or weren't drinking their own bath water, the watch Jarrod Berry's clip from last week where he admitted as much.

Hello Dylan

What changes would you suggest for next week?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

Hey D12, have you watched f**'s presser yet? He mentioned that he was disappointed with the game tonight, I think there will be changes for the Pineapple Stoush and not just those from injury. It's only natural that the coach is going to stick with players more than some on here would like, after all we were 3-0 going into these 2 very down games.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Hey D12, have you watched f**'s presser yet? He mentioned that he was disappointed with the game tonight, I think there will be changes for the Pineapple Stoush and not just those from injury. It's only natural that the coach is going to stick with players more than some on here would like, after all we were 3-0 going into these 2 very down games.
I haven’t yet. I will, but I’m sure the usual one liners will be a key feature which is probably fair for the most part.

Back