Universal Love IT WAS FUN NOT HAVING A LID IN 2019 - BUT GWS AND RICHMOND NAILED THE 2020 LID BACK ON

Is the Lid now “OFFICIALLY” off?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 7.46.23 pm.png

Is there a definition of lid off or on? In my mind I imagine lid off being a place where you expect your team not only to win every week but to trash the opposition and anything less than said smashing is a horribly disappointing display by the team ... is that kind of how everyone else is using it?

level 1 - expect to lose but hoping for a win
level 2 - hoping for win but if not not to lose by too much
level 3 - expecting to be competitive but hoping to win
level 4 - expecting to win and uncompetitive no longer acceptable
level 5 - expecting to dominate, accepting of a win, uncompetitive not acceptable <- this is as high as I would expect to ever get ... even our three peat teams were never minor premiers
level 6 - assuming domination, tolerant of occasional mere wins, uncompetitive inconceivable

At this point I am level 4 - I do expect us to win and no longer find not showing up acceptable ... which is a place where losses hurt more than in level three ... disappointment is a function of expectations unmet.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Is there a definition of lid off or on? In my mind I imagine lid off being a place where you expect your team not only to win every week but to trash the opposition and anything less than said smashing is a horribly disappointing display by the team ... is that kind of how everyone else is using it?

level 5 - expecting to dominate, accepting of a win, uncompetitive not acceptable <- this is as high as I would expect to ever get ... even our three peat teams were never minor premiers
level 6 - assuming domination, tolerant of occasional mere wins, uncompetitive inconceivable

At this point I am level 4 - I do expect us to win and no longer find not showing up acceptable ... which is a place where losses hurt more than in level three ... disappointment is a function of expectations unmet.

Well - as of NOW, I'm level 4. Whilst I agree with your definitions, the intensity is the key for me. Thus, my progression is less linear and more geometric - like the Richter scale :)

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well - as of NOW, I'm level 4. Whilst I agree with your definitions, the intensity is the key for me. Thus, my progression is less linear and more geometric - like the Richter scale :)

I'd say I'm half way between level 3 & 4. So far all I have seen is progression, and I'm very happy. In years past we have been beaten by teams around us on the ladder, this year we have beaten them. Ok, I'll admit the last two weeks have been putrid, but they have been at the hands of teams that lets just face it are a class above, and are as likely as any to be top 4.

I see a lot of people are in the bargaining stage of grief. Good to see.

I've at denial.

We're not going badly at all.

Here's how the season plays out.

Screenshot_20190420-202115_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sausages

Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
I see a lot of people are in the bargaining stage of grief. Good to see.

Nobody can make me put my LID back on iBeng - I reserve the right to be foolishly positive until such time as the tsunami of contrary evidence drowns me :D

Jul 26, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Middlesbrough, The Roys
I'd say I'm half way between level 3 & 4. So far all I have seen is progression, and I'm very happy. In years past we have been beaten by teams around us on the ladder, this year we have beaten them. Ok, I'll admit the last two weeks have been putrid, but they have been at the hands of teams that lets just face it are a class above, and are as likely as any to be top 4.
Same. I'm not quite at 4 yet.

I've at denial.

We're not going badly at all.

Here's how the season plays out.

View attachment 658698

Weirdly enough clicking on the forecast button on the Squggle atm seems to be giving us a finish of 11th ... nice to see GWS take out the bombers for us 'though :) (oh the Pies coming 11th is nice for out pick as well (although that other nasty Squiggle currently has them with the flag...)

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Was at 4 but snaked back to between 2/3. Knowing that we have no quick halfbacks outside of Bailey (worthy of a game) will do this.

Sausages

Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Weirdly enough clicking on the forecast button on the Squggle atm seems to be giving us a finish of 11th ... nice to see GWS take out the bombers for us 'though :) (oh the Pies coming 11th is nice for out pick as well (although that other nasty Squiggle currently has them with the flag...)

I'd take 11th place - I'd HOPE to do better (LID OFF ACCEPTS NOTHING SHORT OF TOP 4 :p), but if we end up 11th, I'd classify the season as a success overall and be pretty happy.

Jul 26, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Middlesbrough, The Roys
I'd take 11th place - I'd HOPE to do better (LID OFF ACCEPTS NOTHING SHORT OF TOP 4 :p), but if we end up 11th, I'd classify the season as a success overall and be pretty happy.
Definitely. 10 wins would be a successful season.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
It's a 3.5 for me. Level 3 against the top few teams, Level 4 against the rest.

Sausages

Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
I was going to make a separate thread on this, but thought...."nahh, this is for the LID OFF CREW" :D

Since the start of Round 9 last year (we played the Hawks in Tassie):

We've won 8, lost 11.
1681 points for
1724 points against (Percentage of 97.5)

Now, yes you could go back to the start of last year and add another 8 losses onto that. But, where do you stop? 2017? 2015?

Most coaches that I have read (Matthews, MM, Sheedy in particular) think ~4 weeks is a good idea of team and player form. Last 4 games we are 2-2, 340 For, 412 Against, 82.5%....so the percentage is a bit low. But, that correlates reasonably well with the last 19 games statistically aside from the percentage. We didn't suffer too many hammerings last year, so overall you'd say it's likely that the last 2 weeks are expected in the scheme of things.

First 5 rounds last year we were 0-5 with a percentage of 68.6%.

Not trying to convince you blokes to loosen your LID - just adding to the narrative then when we start to get on a roll (which we will, starting next week), the LID OFF thread will be alive and well once again. For good reason - the LIONS are waking up, bitches :D

I think Viceregal’s Numeric Lid Rating Scale is going to take this thread to Eleven.

We have lost our last two games to bloody good sides, so people shouldn’t be too downhearted. Fagan just needs to get team selection right and a few players need to pull their fingers out and all those lids that had returned from deep space to Earth’s orbit will head back into space and more will blast off. I think we will be 10-2 after the Carlton game.

Good to see the Captain of the LID OFF CREW is leading the way - JUST LIKE IN A ******* GOOD FOOTY TEAM :D

Right behind ya 3KZ :)
We are back baby! Over to you Fagan!

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The jar isnt even on the table. We all (coaches, players, fans) need to revert to the 'mid re-build mind-set' because that's where are.

Back