Universal Love IT WAS FUN NOT HAVING A LID IN 2019 - BUT GWS AND RICHMOND NAILED THE 2020 LID BACK ON

Is the Lid now “OFFICIALLY” off?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
The lid is off because I remember how bad we have been for so long but Saturday night's match encapsulates our season. We were terrible for parts of the game. We were terrible in components of the game i.e. kicking for goal and kicking it out on the full continually in the last quarter.

However what about our domination of the tough hard stuff (contested ball). I cannot remember winning that stat so well ever. Typified by Lyon in the last quarter when he spoiled the mark (Sicily ?) and dashed forward. He hit the pack hard. Hawthorn player 'get out of Lyon's way' was the call at the Derby.

What about Zorks four or five tackles in a row in the last quarter. The last, on Sicily, was a ripper. It was inconceivable to Sicily that he was being buried in a tackle by a bloke who seemed to be tackling everybody everywhere. He reminded me of a fox when it kills all the chickens in a coop. The chickens often stop running away. They know they are history. A rabbit in a spot light. Chain saw massacre. Sicily knew he was going to die.

But Zorks missed the goal and that's our story: good, competitive, but this year, not top four.

I plan to put up a thread after the bye as review of the season. Where we have improved etc. It will be interesting reading

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
My LID has been off right from the start.

I'm atypical bipolar (medically) but NOT WHEN IT COMES TO MY LID :D

I gave it the flick to support my mate 3KZ, so that even if he found his, we could keep the faith - THAT'S WHAT LIONS DO :D

Another mate, Soren Lorensen, came around on Saturday night to watch us win and bought a bag of old Fitzroy memorabilia with him, mostly stuff from the early 90's - fantastic to go through.

THE LIONS WILL NEVER DIE AND HAVE NO USE FOR LIDS :D

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was having a lids off moment and was thinking that if we win all the games we probably should from now on and manage to pull off an upset or 2 against GWS, Richmond and Geelong maybe we could make the top 4.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was having a lids off moment and was thinking that if we win all the games we probably should from now on and manage to pull off an upset or 2 against GWS, Richmond and Geelong maybe we could make the top 4.

I think the limit of my lids off moment is finishing 5th - which 14 wins might do. That's beating everyone we should and then pinching either Hawks in Tassie or Port in Adelaide.

Speaking of lids. Kane Cornes has completely lost his. Says (on afl.com) that if we play our cards right (i.e. win enough games to finish in the top four and get a couple of home finals) there is no reason we can't win IT. The premiership that is. Guy is on some some seriously good stuff. Theoretically he is right of course, but in reality we are at least a season away from competing with the big boys at the pointy end.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Speaking of lids. Kane Cornes has completely lost his. Says (on afl.com) that if we play our cards right (i.e. win enough games to finish in the top four and get a couple of home finals) there is no reason we can't win IT. The premiership that is. Guy is on some some seriously good stuff. Theoretically he is right of course, but in reality we are at least a season away from competing with the big boys at the pointy end.

Garry Lyon was on that one too this morning - assume it was just to drive a bit of content.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Are there precedents? Baby bombers 93? Hawks 08?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Became a September Member the other week. Lid was off prematurely but seems like a good move now.

As an aside, did they send you any good info on what you get for being a September member other than a chance to buy a grand final ticket? Have been looking at it for a week or two and can't find out a lot of detail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You bloody September Member bandwagoners really irritate me, I've been one ever since it was an option to purchase.;)
I too have no understanding of the value of money and have done the same since the beginning.

As an aside, did they send you any good info on what you get for being a September member other than a chance to buy a grand final ticket? Have been looking at it for a week or two and can't find out a lot of detail.

Two free tickets for a game other than a blockbuster as close to your seats as available. Cheapest way to buy friends/family a ticket. We've claimed one set already.

And I'm a band wagoner (or savvy investor)

I came into the season with the thought that making finals would be over-achievement (although I did expect to be in the mix for the last spot) ... we might still miss if we fall off a cliff (which thankfully is not looking likely) but even being in the conversation about top four coming into the bye is a wonderful achievement independent of our individual lid ratings.

7-4 starts over the last 10 years

cmd_2019-06-05_03-10-34.png

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we could get to a preliminary final if we finish 3rd or 4th but a semi final would be our ceiling if we finish 4-8 imo. Also, I feel like we don't play well enough at the MCG to win a GF against the top sides. We weren't even competitive against the Bombers at the G. Pretty sure it took years of playing in Melbourne before our three-peat side could finally handle it and play just as well there as they did at the Gabba. /Lid on

Back