Lidge's Official Bring Back Basia Bonkowski Action Faction Thread (III)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus, Melbourne is a good place for music.

Did you ever see the documentary series on "Great Music Cities of the World" BT? Melbourne is featured in one of the episodes, with cities like Manchester, Austin, Berlin and New York among the others. I loved the series but especially loved the Melbourne episode. It was by MAX Music.

Did you ever see the documentary series on "Great Music Cities of the World" BT? Melbourne is featured in one of the episodes, with cities like Manchester, Austin, Berlin and New York among the others. I loved the series but especially loved the Melbourne episode. It was by MAX Music.
Something in The Water is a great doco about all the brilliant music that's come out of Perth. Worth a look.

No, haven't seen it mate but will see if i can track it down. I was reading and interview with Gareth Liddiard the other week and he is not one for hyperbole at all. He reckons Melbourne is in the top few cities in the world for music. You can go out any night of the week and catch some great music. I don't do it as much as i would like these days but at least I can catch up on whats happening on RRR and PBS.

Jesus, Melbourne is a good place for music.

That guy singing reminds me a bit of Rob Younger. Sounds great too.

I've seen the WA doco kangatime mentioned but not the series Toes mentioned. I do remember when Kim Salmon (and friends) had a Monday night residence at the GB in Richmond, which was my local at the time. (One of the most influential musos ever to come out of WA.) It was unreal - some amazing musos and maybe 10 people in the room listening to them jam. The Melbourne music scene was always incredible.

That guy singing reminds me a bit of Rob Younger. Sounds great too.

I've seen the WA doco kangatime mentioned but not the series Toes mentioned. I do remember when Kim Salmon (and friends) had a Monday night residence at the GB in Richmond, which was my local at the time. (One of the most influential musos ever to come out of WA.) It was unreal - some amazing musos and maybe 10 people in the room listening to them jam. The Melbourne music scene was always incredible.
Ah the GB. I used to frequent that joint too, although a bit after live music was the norm there. There was the occasional Sunday arvo gig and maybe one night during the week but that was it. Loved that joint.

**** the GB. Got jumped by those knob skinheads who used to drink in the front bar there. Weak pricks followed me in the downstairs toilet and king hit me out of the blue. 7 or 8 punches later - including a couple more from behind - and they still hadn't put me down. Then another few punters walked in and they stopped. Weak bastards.

Saw quite a few decent gigs there though.

If you factor in population and cultural significance (i.e. you'd expect New York and London to have healthy music scenes), Austin and Melbourne are the two best music cities in the world. Hands down.

Moving on....the Elephant 6 Collective doesn't get enough love around here. Need a yin to my 'been listening to a bunch of Leonard Cohen' yang.

Great song to kick off any day.

Some other random Elephant 6 goodness....

Neutral Milk Hotel....

Apples In Stereo....

Elf Power...

Getting my eye in for this year's 'best of' list.

IIRC, this was right up there last year. Still playing the crap out of it.

And for no reason other than I was listening to it yesterday, Kurt's sadly-departed Matador labelmate, Jay Reatard.

Thread title pays homage to the great Ms. Bonkowski, and Rock Around The World was indeed a legendary show. Played a big part in honing and influencing my tastes during that time.

But Rock Arena was better. And its host, Suzanne Dowling, was the coolest nerd (nerdiest cool person?) ever.

I mention that because I remember the latter show introduced me to this excellent band out of Brisbane who, through the passage of time and chemical stimulants, had slipped through the cracks of my memory until I randomly happened across them on youtube the other day. Was stoked. The musical equivalent of finding a 10 buck note in the pocket of that jacket that's been hanging in your closet unworn for a long time.

Closest comparison would be The Stems. Not only in them appearing to use the same barber, but also in their knack for being able to pen fabulous, jangle-y, 60's-inspired power-pop. The Ups And Downs and the Mad Turks would be good reference points, also.

Fantastic "forgotten band" from the 80's.

Was there an Austin one? I know there was NYC, LA, Detroit and Nashville but i'd love an Austin one. Austin is my favourite city in the world

Was there an Austin one? I know there was NYC, LA, Detroit and Nashville but i'd love an Austin one. Austin is my favourite city in the world

I think so, from memory. I'm sure you'd be able to find out using the interwebs.

Just checked myself GN80 and you're right, it was Nashville I was thinking of, and the Austin reference is because I had it mixed up with another great music doco series which did include Austin, the HBO series done on the Foo Fighters' "Sonic Highways".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thread title pays homage to the great Ms. Bonkowski, and Rock Around The World was indeed a legendary show. Played a big part in honing and influencing my tastes during that time.

But Rock Arena was better. And its host, Suzanne Dowling, was the coolest nerd (nerdiest cool person?) ever.

I mention that because I remember the latter show introduced me to this excellent band out of Brisbane who, through the passage of time and chemical stimulants, had slipped through the cracks of my memory until I randomly happened across them on youtube the other day. Was stoked. The musical equivalent of finding a 10 buck note in the pocket of that jacket that's been hanging in your closet unworn for a long time.

Closest comparison would be The Stems. Not only in them appearing to use the same barber, but also in their knack for being able to pen fabulous, jangle-y, 60's-inspired power-pop. The Ups And Downs and the Mad Turks would be good reference points, also.

4000 Likes

I'll bite.

'Some of Austin's finest' for $1000 please, Alex....

Okkervil River

And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead

Spoon

Explosions In The Sky

Apologies to Scratch Acid, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, Shearwater, Voxtrot, etc, etc....

Austin is awesome!

So much amazing music out of there - Roky Erickson, Willie Nelson, The Sword, Black Angels, ZZ Top just to name a few

Edit not forgetting those mentioned above (I've seen more on the list mentioned than I haven't)

Bringing back great memories of both rock arena and the spliffs.

I remember hearing both Jane's Addiction and Soundgarden on Rock Arena and spending hours running around import record shops in Sydney tracking down their debut albums. Head and shoulders above any other Australian music show before or since.

Bringing back great memories of both rock arena and the spliffs.

I remember hearing both Jane's Addiction and Soundgarden on Rock Arena and spending hours running around import record shops in Sydney tracking down their debut albums. Head and shoulders above any other Australian music show before or since.

Apart from programming consistently great music, it had a couple of little points of difference that made it particularly cool. Playing two clips in a row by the same band gave you a chance to get a better handle on bands you weren't familiar with, and the live in-studio mini-gigs they had were just fantastic.

Had a whole heap of great bands on. A few I can recall off the top of my head....

Go-B's

Hunners*

(*back when they were decent)

Huxton Creepers

Actually a couple more coming to mind now - The Hollowmen, Harem Scarem, The Reels, Do Re Mi, The Zimmermen....

Austin is awesome!

So much amazing music out of there - Roky Erickson, Willie Nelson, The Sword, Black Angels, ZZ Top just to name a few

Edit not forgetting those mentioned above (I've seen more on the list mentioned than I haven't)

Actually went there for my honeymoon

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gearing up for my year end 'best of' list, I've compiled a few decent Chrissie songs.

Starting with the Christmas song by which all decent Christmas songs (rightly) should be judged.....

Phoenix does Christmas (with a little help from Bill Murray)....

I'll largely try to steer clear of covers/Christmas standards, but this is excellent enough to warrant inclusion....

And Low's much-loved Christmas ditty....

Long Blondes do Christmas (or don't do Christmas as the case may be).....

MEW do Christmas....

Dum Dum Girls do Christmas.....

And again....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back