Lidge's Official Bring Back Basia Bonkowski Action Faction Thread (III)

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw these guys last night.

Probably one of their more accessible tracks but s**t they make a wicked racket. Very talented musos in the band.

They played with Terry (not really my thing), Tyrannamen (love em) and Parquet Courts (yeah, not too shabby).

Nice one. Haven't checked out Ausmuteants yet (other than that clip you posted), but was just reading a bit about them. They seem alright.

And I dig Tyrannamen. Pretty much a fan of any Alex Macfarlane-related band. (Especially Twerps and The Stevens.)

Also looks like Parquet Courts will sneak in to my '2016 Best Of' musings, which I shall post sometime next week. Very cool band.

Nice one. Haven't checked out Ausmuteants yet (other than that clip you posted), but was just reading a bit about them. They seem alright.

And I dig Tyrannamen. Pretty much a fan of any Alex Macfarlane-related band. (Especially Twerps and The Stevens.)

Also looks like Parquet Courts will sneak in to my '2016 Best Of' musings, which I shall post sometime next week. Very cool band.
Wasnt convinced with Parques Courts but their live show was very good. Coming around.

BTW looking forward to your musings.

Yeah, I'm onto it. I was actually half way through bunging a list together but got inadvertently waylaid by going off on holiday for a fortnight. I'll be back this weekend, so I'll get to finishing it up then and will post it sometime next week.

(Fun, non-music related holiday fact - I saved the life of someone who was drowning the other day. Which was nice.)

Anyhoo, I'll catch y'all in a couple.

Yeah, I'm onto it. I was actually half way through bunging a list together but got inadvertently waylaid by going off on holiday for a fortnight. I'll be back this weekend, so I'll get to finishing it up then and will post it sometime next week.

(Fun, non-music related holiday fact - I saved the life of someone who was drowning the other day. Which was nice.)

Reminds me of one of my fav songs

* it, I'll start (aka, some stuff I heard via All Songs Considered so I can pretend to be in touch with music)

2016, year of the Rock Chick.
Bleached, Welcome the Worms. A little bit The Donnas, a little bit Pixies maybe.

Mitski, Puberty 2. Your Best American Girl was the best song of the year for me.

Margaret Glaspy, Emotions and Math. Cracking debut.

Big Thief, Masterpiece

Ready Deano?

Reminds me of one of my fav songs

Fantastic song!

And on a semi-humorous side note, the aforementioned incident actually mirrored the band name. I initially thought that the rescue-ees were waving, not drowning. It was only when I heard the distinct cry of 'Help' across the water that I figured otherwise. (Apparently in their panicked state they'd got their wires crossed and thought that singing a Beatles tune would make them more buoyant.)

Ready Deano?

Finally, yes. Been a busy son of a gun since I got back, but I'm kinda sorta all caught up on my work now.

Some good picks there, too, Rob. Nice work. :thumbsu: (Will revisit this.)

So yeah, in the words of a famous fruiterer, coupla daze.

Days....weeks....better late than never.

After a mega busy post-holiday stretch, I finally got a few hours spare to complete my 'Top 20 Albums for 2016' list.

But before we get to that, as a bit of a curtain-raiser to the aforementioned list, I'll start off with a quick 'Top 10 Australian albums of 2016' list first.

Ratio-wise I didn't listen to a ton of Australian new releases last year, so I have no doubt missed a few good'uns, but did find that the following selections kind of stood out and picked themselves to a degree.

So yeah, here is 'TOD's (that's me) Top 10 Australian Albums of 2016'.....

10. OLYMPIA - Self Talk
I'm usually wary of excessive hype, but Olivia Hartley would appear to be a deserving recipient. Slick, stylish, well-constructed songs that have a knack for simultaneously looking both forward and backward. Exceptionally solid debut long-player that certainly bodes well for future releases.

9. PAUL DEMPSEY - Strange Loop
This sophomore effort not only easily outshines his debut solo album, but also pretty much anything from Something For Kate's last couple of long-players, too. Fantastic collection of songs with appealing variety and depth, and some of the best melodies that Dempsey has written in years.

8. VIOLENT SOHO - Waco
The great white hope of Australian guitar bands delivers another strong album. They're gradually developing a more melodic side to their sound, but there's still more than enough guitar shred on Waco to satisfy those who have enjoyed their work up to this point. One of those very rare examples of a post-grunge band that doesn't suck.

7. THE AVALANCHES - Wildflower
After a ridiculously long 16-year lay off between albums, they're back. And while this is no Since I Left You, it ain't toooooo far off. Perhaps a little less sample-heavy than their previous work, but nevertheless they remain supremely talented at what they do. Worth the wait? Not sure. But it is most definitely a superb effort.

6. HOCKEY DAD - Boronia
Very entertaining debut from promising noise-pop/'surf-pop' duo operating in roughly the same ballpark as Wavves, Surfer Blood, DIIV, Yuck, Jay Reatard, Bored Nothing, etc, etc. Won't change your life but will embed itself in your brain. And I'm digging this kind of stuff right now. And of course, bonus points for the album title.

5. KING GIZZARD & THE LIZARD WIZARD - Nonagon Infinity
The band that goes around at two albums a year only managed the one in 2016. And like everything else they have done up to this point, it was awesome. Long live the King.

4. PAUL KELLY - Seven Sonnets & A Song
At this point in his career, Paul Kelly could record himself sitting silently in a dark room and I'd probably still hail it as genius. As it is, he goes and does the opposite by continuing to find interesting new ways to challenge himself. This time around he's turning some of Shakespeare's sonnets into songs. And it almost goes without saying, the result is predictably exquisite.

3. THE DRONES - Feelin' Kinda Free
A band that simply continues to burn like no other. All the usual Drones trademarks are here, but there's also an ongoing expansion of sound (particularly with the use of more electronic elements) and Liddiard's lyrics are as brilliant as ever. I'm not sure they could make a bad album if they tried.

2. NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS - Skeleton Tree
A predictably sombre affair (following the death of his son), but no less musically rich for it. Gone are the driving rhythms and crashing crescendos with Nick wailing away like a Southern Baptist preacher on the pulpit, replaced by more hushed tones and a slower, stately tempo throughout. Given the subtext, the material takes on considerable emotional weight, but it only serves to move the listener rather than suffocate them. It's Nick at his most subtle, but his ability to hold you in his grasp remains as strong as ever.

....and drum roll....

1. CAMP COPE - S/T

Seemingly out of nowhere comes this certified gem of a debut album from all-girl Melbourne trio, Camp Cope. Referencing a whole bunch of fine female/female-fronted acts from indie-rock's days past (Tiger Trap, Juliana Hatfield, Cub, Throwing Muses, Lois, Go Sailor, Heavenly, Bettie Serveert, Tullycraft, Rainer Maria, Liz Phair before she went crap), the album is brimming with cool, catchy gems and an easy-going charm that immediately invites the listener in, while also encouraging - and rewarding - repeat listens. Sometimes less is more, and this unfussy and wholly brilliant album displays that in spades.

HM's:
EMMA RUSSACK - In A New State
BIG SCARY - Animal

Don't Believe The Hype:
TEETH & TONGUE - Give Up On Your Health (don't get all the praise - a very, VERY average album)
D.D. DUMBO - Utopia Defeated (finished near the top of many a year-end list, but completely failed to register with yours truly)

Top 20 to come. Will post it up sometime over the weekend.

Top effort TOD - very impressed with a couple I wasn't familiar with - Hockey Dad is right up my alley!

BTW Emma Russack has a pretty talented aunt...

Days....weeks....better late than never.

After a mega busy post-holiday stretch, I finally got a few hours spare to complete my 'Top 20 Albums for 2016' list.

But before we get to that, as a bit of a curtain-raiser to the aforementioned list, I'll start off with a quick 'Top 10 Australian albums of 2016' list first.

Ratio-wise I didn't listen to a ton of Australian new releases last year, so I have no doubt missed a few good'uns, but did find that the following selections kind of stood out and picked themselves to a degree.

So yeah, here is 'TOD's (that's me) Top 10 Australian Albums of 2016'.....

10. OLYMPIA - Self Talk
I'm usually wary of excessive hype, but Olivia Hartley would appear to be a deserving recipient. Slick, stylish, well-constructed songs that have a knack for simultaneously looking both forward and backward. Exceptionally solid debut long-player that certainly bodes well for future releases.

9. PAUL DEMPSEY - Strange Loop
This sophomore effort not only easily outshines his debut solo album, but also pretty much anything from Something For Kate's last couple of long-players, too. Fantastic collection of songs with appealing variety and depth, and some of the best melodies that Dempsey has written in years.

8. VIOLENT SOHO - Waco
The great white hope of Australian guitar bands delivers another strong album. They're gradually developing a more melodic side to their sound, but there's still more than enough guitar shred on Waco to satisfy those who have enjoyed their work up to this point. One of those very rare examples of a post-grunge band that doesn't suck.

After a ridiculously long 16-year lay off between albums, they're back. And while this is no Since I Left You, it ain't toooooo far off. Perhaps a little less sample-heavy than their previous work, but nevertheless they remain supremely talented at what they do. Worth the wait? Not sure. But it is most definitely a superb effort.

6. HOCKEY DAD - Boronia
Very entertaining debut from promising noise-pop/'surf-pop' duo operating in roughly the same ballpark as Wavves, Surfer Blood, DIIV, Yuck, Jay Reatard, Bored Nothing, etc, etc. Won't change your life but will embed itself in your brain. And I'm digging this kind of stuff right now. And of course, bonus points for the album title.

Is an awesome track. Makes me bop every time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

....and drum roll....

1. CAMP COPE - S/T

Seemingly out of nowhere comes this certified gem of a debut album from all-girl Melbourne trio, Camp Cope. Referencing a whole bunch of fine female/female-fronted acts from indie-rock's days past (Tiger Trap, Juliana Hatfield, Cub, Throwing Muses, Lois, Go Sailor, Heavenly, Bettie Serveert, Tullycraft, Rainer Maria, Liz Phair before she went crap), the album is brimming with cool, catchy gems and an easy-going charm that immediately invites the listener in, while also encouraging - and rewarding - repeat listens. Sometimes less is more, and this unfussy and wholly brilliant album displays that in spades.
Had a 45 minute drive to a 6am triathlon this morning, so this (and Tash Sultana) got a run. Very good. Hockey Dad next.

Thanks TOD.

BTW Emma Russack has a pretty talented aunt...

She does indeed.

Love The Hummingbirds long time.

Okay, onto TOD's Top 20 for 2016.

But first some....

Honorable Mentions:

TEENAGE FANCLUB - Here
PARQUET COURTS - Human Performance
FRANKIE COSMOS - Next Thing
WILCO - Schmilco
FUTURE OF THE LEFT - The Peace & Truth Of Future Of The Left
LAMBCHOP - Flotus
ANGEL OLSEN - My Woman
ERIC BACHMANN & JON RAUHOUSE - Self-Titled
TELEMAN - Brilliant Sanity
THE CORAL - Distance Inbetween
MITSKI - Puberty 2
ROGUE WAVE - Delusions Of Grand Fur

Now onto the list....

20. STEVE MASON - Meet The Humans
Gem of an album from Beta Band frontman, Steve Mason. Sound-wise it's kinda The Beta Band meets mid-period Beatles - with the former's penchant for organic-sounding, old school electronica dovetailing into the melodic rush of the latter. Very cool album indeed.

19. DAVID BOWIE - Blackstar
Circumstances obviously play a big part here, and I think it fair to say this album probably wouldn't have made the list if not for his passing. But as a final missive, the material takes on a far greater significance. Hence it's inclusion. Musically, it's the typical hodge-podge of 'old glam Bowie', 'ambient soundscape Bowie' and the more electronic-leaning 'Tin Machine Bowie', but the songwriting is more consistent than it has been in quite some time. A more than worthy final musical statement from the great man.

18. THE GOTOBEDS - Blood/Sugar/Secs/Traffic
Excellent sophomore release from scrappy, lo-fi, noise-pop band out of Pittsburgh. It raises a racket and it ain't always super pretty, but for those moments where it coalesces into something tuneful and exciting - like on the track below - this album comfortably gets the nod.

17. THE KILLS - Ash & Ice
Made under trying circumstances - guitarist Jamie Hince busted up his hand and basically had to re-learn the guitar with a whole new technique - and that has made for a slightly less edgy and raucous album than what this duo usually produces. There's still the regular smatterings of the band's trademark garage-y guitar work, but the pop moments are more polished and user-friendly than ever before, and the whole tone of the album is a little more subdued. Saying all that, they don't exactly suffer for it. They are still a fantastic band that have been operating at the top of their game for quite some time now, and this is another impressive addition to their catalogue.

16. THE MONKEES - Good Times
Yes, you read that right. Bunch of talented folks (XTC's Andy Partridge, Paul Weller, Death Cab's Ben Gibbard, Weezer's Rivers Cuomo, Adam Schlesinger from Fountains Of Wayne) write songs for The Monkees, chuck in a few quality covers, and - boomshanka - you have a totally unexpected pop treat from a bunch of very old people. Awesome!

15. BOB MOULD - Patch The Sky
Another album made under crap circumstances - the death of Bob's mum following the recent passing of his dad - giving me the expectation that this would be a pretty dire affair. The soaring moments of Husker Du and the feelgood vibe of Sugar aside, Bob has always been a man who knows how to pen some pretty dark and depressing stuff. But he doesn't give into that temptation here, making for an album that is - at least musically - more upbeat than you'd expect. He ain't get any younger but his songwriting smarts remain pleasantly intact. Legend.

14. FRUIT BATS - Absolute Loser
Yet another superb album from a band that should get a lot more recognition than they do. Taking the best parts of Sparklehorse, The Shins, Earlimart, and Rogue Wave, they keep steadily churning out a bunch of classy, effortless (in a good way), indie-pop-meets-Americana gems. Add this to the lengthy list.

13. THE SO SO GLOS - Kamikaze
Fourth album from tuneful, Clash-channeling NY punkers, and it's easily their best effort to date. And that's after already releasing three previous long-players of a very high standard. Fine band, fine album.

12. DESCENDENTS - Hypercaffium Spazzinate
Legendary Californian punk band still going strong after all these years. Granted, it's been a long wait since 2004's 'Cool To Be You', but it appears it was worth it. The band sound tighter and better than ever. Their seminal 80's albums will always be the preferred choice of the purists, but on the strength of this ripping long-player, the Descendents Mk.II is a mighty formidable unit. Hoping they don't make us wait another 12 years for the next one.

11. TACOCAT - Lost Time
Catchy album from (mostly) female pop-punk/buzz-pop band out of Seattle. Bittersweet tunes with enough underlying guitar heft to keep things from ever getting too sickly. Think Velocity Girl, The Fastbacks, Tsunami, Darling Buds, The Primitives, and the Blake Babies. And with regards to charm and quality hooks, this album is comfortably the aforementioned bands' equal.

10. WIRE - Nocturnal Koreans
Talking of bands still going strong....the longevity of these guys is insane. (For the uninitiated, Wire's legendary debut album, 'Pink Flag', was released way back in 1977.) And to still be producing music of this quality all these years later, is even insaner. They just keep keeping on, and of the ever-growing number of merit-worthy post-2000 releases from Wire, I reckon this just might be the best of the bunch.

9. BLEACHED - Welcome The Worms

Not a million miles away from the Tacocat album mentioned earlier, but with more of a harder, garage-pop edge. Hooky without being pop-y, tough without being screechy, these lasses from LA have got the sweet-sour mix just right. And while the debut was a winner, this is better. RobZ liked it. I liked it. Winning.

8. YUCK - Stranger Things

After releasing a near-perfect, shoegaze-meets-noise-pop debut, these guys took a bit of a misstep with their second album which slapped on the pop sheen and stripped away the guitar layers. Fortunately, 'Stranger Things' sees them right the ship again. And then some. Cracker of an album from a talented band that appears to have worked out how to play to their considerable strengths.

7. DINOSAUR JR - Give A Glimpse Of What Yer Not
More old timers! J and Lou have finally put aside their differences and the latter is now firmly back in the fold. Resulting in the trio rediscovering a verve and cohesion that they haven't had in a long time. Likewise, this album also sees J pen his best batch of songs in ages, too. It's great to have them back...still around...whatever.

6. THE THERMALS - We Disappear

Yet another brilliant album from a band whose output has hardly dipped at all since their killer debut. This is album number seven, and while it's a matter of degrees when you're dealing with such a consistent(-ly good) band, this could be their best effort yet. Given that they're a band who hasn't undergone much of change in sound since their inception, it comes down to the quality of the songs. And this is a particularly stellar batch.

5. LEONARD COHEN - You Want It Darker
Another album with a major amount of circumstantial emotional weight. But unlike the Bowie album, this would have made the list anyway. Although the subtext does mean that it's been shuffled up the list a few rungs. Regardless, Lenny is a genius. And when we look back on his work and ponder the highlights of his catalogue, (in time) this will be one of them.

4. BEACH SLANG - A Loud Bash of Teenage Feelings
Mega-fetching combination of The Replacements loose, catchy bar-rock, Rancid's Clash-informed punk-pop, Texas Is The Reason's more nuanced, light/shade guitar workouts, and a hint of the surging, fluid energy of Leatherface. This album rocks, and rocks well.

And the final 3....

3. CAR SEAT HEADREST - Teens Of Denial
Fabulous album. The budget has grown, and the lo-fi sound is now pushing mid-fi, but the appealing, no-frills, bedroom-y vibe remains mostly intact. And this is Will Toledo's sharpest songwriting effort to date. Reminds me a lot of the brilliant Kleenex Girl Wonder (whose album 'Ponyoak' you should kill someone to get). But I digress....really fantastic long player.

Second place....

2. DIIV - Is The Is Are
Exceptional slice of 80's inspired guitar-pop, that brings to mind The Church, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Cure, and the sublime but sadly-underappreciated For Against. Track after affecting track of blissful guitar-chime to get lost in. An accomplished album that uses its obvious influences to create something fresh and fabulous.

And the winner (of precisely nothing) is....

1. AMERICAN WRESTLERS - Goodbye Terrible Youth
Fronted by a Scot now residing in the States, I don't know much about these guys other than they are another (one-man) bedroom-style project that has evolved into a full-fledged band. But what I do know is that they have crafted an absolutely brilliant album that recalls the best Scottish pop bands of days past, from Orange Juice to The Pastels and Teenage Fanclub through to The Delgados. Ringing/chiming guitars abound, wrapped around songs that ooze melodic charms. I love it when I'm blindsided by perfection (or something close to it). Awesome, awesome album.

Awesome Deano. Plenty to get my theeth into there.
Honorable Mentions:

TEENAGE FANCLUB - Here
PARQUET COURTS - Human Performance
FRANKIE COSMOS - Next Thing
WILCO - Schmilco
FUTURE OF THE LEFT - The Peace & Truth Of Future Of The Left
LAMBCHOP - Flotus
ANGEL OLSEN - My Woman
ERIC BACHMANN & JON RAUHOUSE - Self-Titled
TELEMAN - Brilliant Sanity
THE CORAL - Distance Inbetween
MITSKI - Puberty 2
ROGUE WAVE - Delusions Of Grand Fur
Not even a HM for Black Mountain - IV?

I guess the obvious reason to leave it out is that if you want Led Zep you know where to find them. I had a really good time with this record. This live cut of Mothers of the Sun brings some nice dirty guitars that are missing from the studio cut:

You also left off Naps - The Most Beautiful Place on Earth. Only an EP but thought it would be up your alley.

11. TACOCAT - Lost Time
Catchy album from (mostly) female pop-punk/buzz-pop band out of Seattle. Bittersweet tunes with enough underlying guitar heft to keep things from ever getting too sickly. Think Velocity Girl, The Fastbacks, Tsunami, Darling Buds, The Primitives, and the Blake Babies. And with regards to charm and quality hooks, this album is comfortably the aforementioned bands' equal.
Yeah, really like this. Don't know how I forgot it in the Year of the Rock Chick.

3. CAR SEAT HEADREST - Teens Of Denial
Fabulous album. The budget has grown, and the lo-fi sound is now pushing mid-fi, but the appealing, no-frills, bedroom-y vibe remains mostly intact. And this is Will Toledo's sharpest songwriting effort to date. Reminds me a lot of the brilliant Kleenex Girl Wonder (whose album 'Ponyoak' you should kill someone to get). But I digress....really fantastic long player.
Every time I put this on I couldn't help but think they'd just made a new Strokes album. But yeah, really grew on me. I'll allow it.

Also some stuff from elsewhere in the world:
Imarhan - Imarhan
North African Tuareg-based funk, modernised and very groovy.

Africaine 808 - Basar
German duo with a French name and African influences. Like Imarhan, ideal stuff for headphone time at work.

5 embeds per post so I'll limit myself to 3 Italian albums.

Bugo - Nessuna Scala Da Salire
Bugo is getting a bit old for an enfant terrible these days but is always fun. Not a million miles away from Beck at times, he's always mixed dance beats with world-weary and ironic lyrics, and this album really roots the sound in an '80s vibe without sounding dated. I think I probably preferred 2011's Nuovi Rimedi Per La Miopia but this is a good addition to the catalogue.

Dente - Canzoni Per Metà
Laid-back, thoughtful indie pop. 20 tracks, half of which are under 2 minutes. A bit like Ryan Adams maybe?

Vinicio Capossela - Canzoni Della Cupa
Capossela's a wayward genius, a a bit like a hyper-literate Tom Waits (in fact, frequently works with the likes of Marc Ribot and Greg Cohen, as well as Calexico and others). I've seen some of his fans implore him to "step away from the bookcase and just play the damn music". This album is his Chinese Democracy, sitting half made for years and finally polished up for release. It mixes southern Italian folk with mariachi, Waits-y junkyard percussion and mythological themes for a challenging and engrossing piece of work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back