Lidge's Official Bring Back Basia Bonkowski Action Faction Thread (III)

I remember that show too.

...and other luminaries of the Australian music scene but the material they came up with is largely boring and dated with a generic "rock" sound. (Although to be fair, that may have been partly intentional.)

I think so, considering the other music they were making at the time.

That show was a big disappointment cos the music was so s**t and the lives so plastic. 2 years later Dogs in Space came out and told the real story of Ausmusic.

That's one of my favorite Triffids' songs too but that version is utter s**t.

Second comment on that youtube vid is some guy from Lismore commenting about it being 40 degC a few months ago

Within days of that it was 47.

But if you play that song the temp drops 3 degrees.

Its cool.:cool:

That's one of my favorite Triffids' songs too but that version is utter s**t.

Not necessarily a fave of mine, but like most Triffids songs, I'm more than okay with it.

The other Triffids track sent off to the Sweet And Sour abattoir....

Last edited:

Second comment on that youtube vid is some guy from Lismore commenting about it being 40 degC a few months ago

Within days of that it was 47.

But if you play that song the temp drops 3 degrees.

Its cool.:cool:

Yeah, I have always loved this song. It's just so Fremantle.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey, IR. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this.

I was originally going to write a lengthy, detailed post traversing the genealogy of rock 'n roll (with most roads eventually leading back to the early Blues legends like Robert Johnson and Son House), but somewhere along the line I decided that was a s**t idea and lost all interest.

Why? Because ultimately it all comes back to what you said about music being a matter of taste.

Well, that and the fact that tons of stuff has been written on the subject already, often by people who explore the subject in a far more proficient and articulate fashion than I ever could.

But here's a few thoughts anyway....

(1) The 60's through to, say, the mid 80's was truly a golden age for music. A time when many of the musical genres that are still popular today were widely explored and quite often perfected. No argument there.

(2) Saying that, there have been a number of musical genres/sub-genres that have sprung up since that time. A whole bunch of them in fact, from Grunge to Math-Rock to Dubstep. While it may indeed be harder to innovate circa now, innovation in music is by no means dead.

(3) I believe that the masses of music readily available to the average music fan these days makes it more difficult to really grab a hold of new music. In that sense, I reckon the lay of the land dilutes the impact many excellent bands would otherwise have.

(4) There are still a whole heap of quality artists operating at the top of their game (or close enough to it) within their chosen genres. To pick a couple of examples - Wilco continue to be an active cornerstone of the Alt.country genre and are far from a tapped out commodity. Fantastic singer-songwriters like Elvis Costello, Rufus Wainwright, the recently-departed Lenny Cohen, the criminally under-recognised Aimee Mann, and a man who made last year's 'Best Of' list in Nick Cave are still making consistently compelling music.

(5) A lot of the 'legendary' bands are adored and revered because of a sustained level of excellence in their musical output. But there are hundreds of examples of apprentices outshining the masters on individual occasions. For instance, largely forgettable UK band The La's are not seen as a cornerstone of the jangle-pop genre that they inhabited, but their song "There She Goes" most certainly is. The Shout Out Louds are no Cure, but they have definitely penned the odd tune that easily rivals Fat Bob and Co at their best. And the list goes on. I enjoy exploring new music (and undiscovered nuggets from the aforementioned 'golden age' that the digital age has now made more accessible) in the hope of unearthing more of these musical treasures. Love a good tune just as much as I love a band I can rely on.

(6) Speaking as someone who has the 'Drums & Wires' logo tattooed on their arm, you don't need to sell me on the genius of XTC.

And as for my sorry-ass annual attempts at 'Best Of' lists, you can rest easy. After the fairly disinterested response I received to this year's effort, I think it safe to say I've penned my last 'Best Of' list on Bigfooty.

Hey TOD, sorry for late reply, just saw this now!
You're right about taste of course. Every album put up on youtube has fans claiming it is the best album done by that group ...
And why people like something and not something else involves a million dimensions, and we change our minds too, according to our state of 'being' and life when we listen to or re-listen to something. Songs grow on you, once you know what's coming ...
As for our mutual admiration of XTC, I never really had the chanc to listen to them back when they were around, and have just 'discovered' them.
Let me put up two faves from a twenty or thirty really skilfull songs:

Some good ol' tunes here.

Here's another. My favorite from the meat puppets

Very cool album. Love the Meat Puppets.

They actually had a bit of a minor alterna-hit in the US with this song off it, although it didn't seem to register much of a blip down this way....

Big fan of this one....

Hey TOD, sorry for late reply, just saw this now!
You're right about taste of course. Every album put up on youtube has fans claiming it is the best album done by that group ...
And why people like something and not something else involves a million dimensions, and we change our minds too, according to our state of 'being' and life when we listen to or re-listen to something. Songs grow on you, once you know what's coming ...
As for our mutual admiration of XTC, I never really had the chanc to listen to them back when they were around, and have just 'discovered' them.
Let me put up two faves from a twenty or thirty really skilfull songs:

Mayor Of Simpleton would be in my top 3 fave songs of theirs. Easy.

XTC make me stupidly happy.

Another gem from the same album....

And back to yet another Oranges & Lemons classic....

I'd never listened to them before so cheers very much.
No problem!

Every album of theirs from Blast Tyrant onwards is gold.

Also I think you mentioned Al Jorgensen's Lost Gospels auto biography somewhere on this board - cracking read (I read it on my honeymoon in November).

I'll be seeing Ministry on grand final day down here in Melbourne. Should be a cracking show but not sure if it will rival their 1995 shows I saw.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Back