Lidge's Official Bring Back Basia Bonkowski Action Faction Thread (III)

Remove this Banner Ad

Candy Apple Grey - I reckon its a great record for road tripping too KiwiRoo.

you are not wrong !
That could be a thread on its own " Great road trip sound tracks"

I have hazy memories of the South island as a student driving in a sh&t heap listening to everything from Neil Young to Black Sabbath and some good NZ bands like the Strait Jacket fits and The Clean .
Pub crawling...smoking illicit substances...breaking down. Good times !

you are not wrong !
That could be a thread on its own " Great road trip sound tracks"

I have hazy memories of the South island as a student driving in a sh&t heap listening to everything from Neil Young to Black Sabbath and some good NZ bands like the Strait Jacket fits and The Clean .
Pub crawling...smoking illicit substances...breaking down. Good times !

Yeah, what a thread that would be. There's a Spencer P Jones record from the 90s that's great, Rumour of Death i think. And speaking of Spencer the Beasts of Bourbon have some great driving songs, as do the Cruel Sea - thats all a bit incestuous tho... There is a Canadian Band called I Mother Earth and their first couple of records are unreal for long drives, i can hear them up to three times in a row on the right drive and suddenly there's 3 or 400 km cruised cruisily by. Since blackshadow introduced me to Clutch I can't wait to do a long drive with them blaring out of the speakers. Chuck berry is also a great one for road trips.

Looking forward to a blast of Cosmic Psychos on Melbourne Cup Day.

One of the quintessential great Australian rock bands - revered by the likes of Kurt Cobain, Pearl Jam and hugely influential on the Seattle grunge scene but alway underground here. No bullshit, heavy, eternal outsiders and eternally awesome.

I first saw the Psychos on a Tuesday afternoon at the Hopetoun Hotel in Sydney circa 1984 at a "rock against work" - from memory that afternoon set a record for beer sales in a day at the Hoey. 30+ years on, another Tuesday afternoon and I'm sure will be great and much beer consumption...

Grab a slab and turn it up! Here's a few classic tracks.

Knighty is the only orginal member left but they've still got it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R.I.P. George Young

And just like that, a legendary brother passes.

R.I.P Malcolm, the greatest rhythm guitarist that ever crushed an open D.

And just like that, a legendary brother passes.

R.I.P Malcolm, the greatest rhythm guitarist that ever crushed an open D.

Undoubtedly one of THE great rock and roll riff writers.

I am reminded of the famous Angus Young quote when some scribe claimed him amongst the best guitarists in the world, he responded, "Best guitarist in the world? Hell, I'm not even the best guitarist in my band!"

Last edited:
Undoubtedly one of THE great rock and roll riff writers.

I am reminded of the famous Angus Young when some scribe claimed him amongst the best guitarists in the world, he responded, "Best guitarist in the world? Hell, I'm not even the best guitarist in my band!"

I watched an interview with Malcolm where he was talking about the difference between AC/DC and other metal/rock bands. He categorically stated that whilst those genres had elements of what AC/DC had as far as power, etc what they didn't have was the groove. That's what the difference is between straight up Rock and Rock 'N Roll and something which only them and The Rolling Stones were still doing. It's the roll.

Anybody who thought they were a straight forward Rock band was completely missing the point,......the swagger and the swing.

I watched an interview with Malcolm where he was talking about the difference between AC/DC and other metal/rock bands. He categorically stated that whilst those genres had elements of what AC/DC had as far as power, etc what they didn't have was the groove. That's what the difference is between straight up Rock and Rock 'N Roll and something which only them and The Rolling Stones were still doing. It's the roll.

Anybody who thought they were a straight forward Rock band was completely missing the point,......the swagger and the swing.

Yep, swing and they could also boogie.

Take "Riff Raff" as an example of swing.

If you took out the guitars and replaced it with horns, you could swear you were listening to the Glen Miller Big Band.

Yep, swing and they could also boogie.

Take "Riff Raff" as an example of swing.

If you took out the guitars and replaced it with horns, you could swear you were listening to the Glen Miller Big Band.

The best album for mine.

Raw, powerful, loose as s**t but at the same time tight as *.

Bluesy, ballsy and some of the best lyrics you will ever hear full of wit and charm, all delivered with a wink and a smile.

An all time classic.

The best album for mine.

Raw, powerful, loose as s**t but at the same time tight as ****.

Bluesy, ballsy and some of the best lyrics you will ever hear full of wit and charm, all delivered with a wink and a smile.

An all time classic.

Keith Richards and I agree with you.

The best album for mine.

Raw, powerful, loose as s**t but at the same time tight as ****.

An all time classic.
The final three Bon albums are hard to separate - Let There Be Rock, Powerage and Highway to Hell all absolutely first class.

Personally I'd put Highway to Hell slightly in front but they're all rippers.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back