Lids has his say on the Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

My opinion didn't change, i still hold him in high regard as a player, but I remember when he signed his last contract with us there was all the speculation in the lead up that he only wanted to stay if he felt we would be a successful team (or something along those lines).
Now that's fair enough, particularly in today's free agency world, but I think there are three things that a player rates that speak to the type of person they are.
Themselves, their team mates and the club.
I think that the order that Lids generally had things.
Then I think you have the likes of Newman and perhaps Richo that have them the opposite way around.
(The other one on the list could be fans, but you would expect fans to be last on the list).

Everyone is different, as long as they aren't disrespectful there shouldn't be any problems.

Hmmmm, Newman. If Newman put the club first he would have retired at the end of 2013.
Very average in 2014 and going up and down on the one spot in 2015, yet the club was single-minded and delusional in wanting to give him a finals win, while ignoring the development of younger talent.
I rate Newman highly, but those last two years should never happened.

I was so excited when Lids first came to the club. He was so quick, such a great mark and such an amazing kick. Unfortunately, what made him such a confident and self assured first year player was also what made him so arrogant in later years. Everything came so easy to him. His Dad almost made it as an AFL player and was determined to mold his son into one. He worked hard on Lids to make it but after a while he was already playing senior footy and beating everyone he played on. In Kyabram, they loved him and were excited that he was so good. He knew very early on that he was the best and his Dad tried to instill within him the want to be the best.

By the time he was drafted he was already considered a star by the community. Everything came easy to him. It was all about Brett.

Once he was drafted and proved his potential on the field, the opposition targeted him. After all, Richmond was an ordinary team and Lids was already one of our best in his first year. This had two effects on Lids - 1) It continued to magnify his arrogance & 2) He was targeted by the opposition. When he was nullified and tagged out of the game, coaches just moved him into other positions. The message was - we'll just avoid the problem because we haven't the time to allow you to work through it.

In the end Lids was all about Lids. He never had to fight to be the best. He never had to learn to shake a tag or keep his place in the side. He didn't want to put himself out for anyone and never wanted to do anything but the bare minimum. In the end Cotch and Richo used to openly joke about Lids hatred for supporters. He could not stand going to functions, meeting supporters, signing autographs and helping others. Its the same reason why he would never be a good Captain. He struggled to see past his own game, his own performance.

I still have a soft spot for Lids. He was a great player for our club during some bleak times. I always ignored his obvious arrogance and defended his inability to play in on field roles that we really needed him to. Now that he left the club to chase the money and a chance to win a flag, I don't expect him to still be raving about Richmond. What I do expect though is for him to still be appreciative of the club that supported him through the majority of his career and, most importantly, to the hundreds of thousands of supporters that stuck by him through those dark days.

In the end I hope Lids goes well at GWS but I just hope he eventually starts to think about others.

I was so excited when Lids first came to the club. He was so quick, such a great mark and such an amazing kick. Unfortunately, what made him such a confident and self assured first year player was also what made him so arrogant in later years. Everything came so easy to him. His Dad almost made it as an AFL player and was determined to mold his son into one. He worked hard on Lids to make it but after a while he was already playing senior footy and beating everyone he played on. In Kyabram, they loved him and were excited that he was so good. He knew very early on that he was the best and his Dad tried to instill within him the want to be the best.

By the time he was drafted he was already considered a star by the community. Everything came easy to him. It was all about Brett.

Once he was drafted and proved his potential on the field, the opposition targeted him. After all, Richmond was an ordinary team and Lids was already one of our best in his first year. This had two effects on Lids - 1) It continued to magnify his arrogance & 2) He was targeted by the opposition. When he was nullified and tagged out of the game, coaches just moved him into other positions. The message was - we'll just avoid the problem because we haven't the time to allow you to work through it.

In the end Lids was all about Lids. He never had to fight to be the best. He never had to learn to shake a tag or keep his place in the side. He didn't want to put himself out for anyone and never wanted to do anything but the bare minimum. In the end Cotch and Richo used to openly joke about Lids hatred for supporters. He could not stand going to functions, meeting supporters, signing autographs and helping others. Its the same reason why he would never be a good Captain. He struggled to see past his own game, his own performance.

I still have a soft spot for Lids. He was a great player for our club during some bleak times. I always ignored his obvious arrogance and defended his inability to play in on field roles that we really needed him to. Now that he left the club to chase the money and a chance to win a flag, I don't expect him to still be raving about Richmond. What I do expect though is for him to still be appreciative of the club that supported him through the majority of his career and, most importantly, to the hundreds of thousands of supporters that stuck by him through those dark days.

In the end I hope Lids goes well at GWS but I just hope he eventually starts to think about others.

100% spot on, could not agree anymore there mate.

Hmmmm, Newman. If Newman put the club first he would have retired at the end of 2013.
Very average in 2014 and going up and down on the one spot in 2015, yet the club was single-minded and delusional in wanting to give him a finals win, while ignoring the development of younger talent.
I rate Newman highly, but those last two years should never happened.
Fair point.
Probably a decision that should be taken out of the players hand to some extent.
Never easy when a player feels they still can contribute at the required level and they hold respect of the other players and club.

That's not even what he's saying either.
He's just basically saying he wants them to do well (but doesn't care anymore because he's a Giants player).
What else is he going to say? If he came out and said "I really hope the tigers do well, I love them!"The Giants would be entitled to tell him to pull his head in.

You can still care about someone even when you move on.
Pretty common with significant relationships.

You can still care about someone even when you move on.
Pretty common with significant relationships.
His team is in the mix against us.
Time for caring is after his career.

Tiges fans just frustrated,obviously a media interview designed to rile up the Tiger Army.

We know Lids is a Tiger through and through.

Media playing their grand final yet again.

afl is gonna give him a match bonus if he plays well against us in the prelim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Staggers me, mate, that people simply can't see this and his accept his comments for what they are.
Do you see Matty White giving a running commentary and dishing out plaudits to Richmond; or Caddy singing Geelong's praises.
Move on peeps!!!!

Last edited:

FAir post

Just dont know how you draw those conclusions without knowing him. Some of the observations about him being tagged etc yes, but his selfishness? A selfish player wouldnt have backed up as many times as he did and played the following week. The number of continuous games he played and how quickly he got to 150 doesnt say to me he was selfish, especially playing in some of the worst teams of the modern era

My observations were he poured his heart and soul into the joint, the club did him few favours with how poorly it was run. After last year I can't blame him for wanting to go given how toxic the joint had become. I say live and let live, he wanted to go - no probs given where he and the club was at. I just dont get the bad blood with him.

Just dont know how you draw those conclusions without knowing him. Some of the observations about him being tagged etc yes, but his selfishness? A selfish player wouldnt have backed up as many times as he did and played the following week. The number of continuous games he played and how quickly he got to 150 doesnt say to me he was selfish, especially playing in some of the worst teams of the modern era

My observations were he poured his heart and soul into the joint, the club did him few favours with how poorly it was run. After last year I can't blame him for wanting to go given how toxic the joint had become. I say live and let live, he wanted to go - no probs given where he and the club was at. I just dont get the bad blood with him.

Over his career at functions, supporter days and events, I was one of the supporters that noted his absolute disdain for the people that idolized him. His arrogance always rubbed me the wrong way particularly when I saw how he reacted to kids. It was a running joke with the other players I spoke to as well. He was well known around the club as a sarcastic, smart arse who had no time for the younger players and was very divisive in the group. He had his 'click' and had no time for others. It was also why he was never considered for Captaincy. Lids was all about Lids.

Don't get me wrong, he was a star player for us when the shelves were almost bare. When you talk about developing a good culture at a club though, losing him wasn't a bad thing especially given his history of injury now too.

Last edited:
Was VERY much part of a boys club along with Chappy. Caused some friction with the younger players and, if rumours are true, was bullying Reece McKenzie about his depression so much that club admin had to step in.

Deledio has always been about himself and had the biggest ego at the club. Terrific player but an absolute flog.

Funny I've had my suspicions for a while about Brett, is your source reliable? If so Grock I'm kinda not really surprised....still a great individual player...

Point taken RD.
But there's a difference between professionalism and disinterest.
I haven't seen the interview, but I can understand why some would interpret the tone of the OP quote as being IDGAF.
Not quite the 'she was a good girl, but I've got me a hot new date' sort of line exactly.

Point taken RD.
But there's a difference between professionalism and disinterest.
I haven't seen the interview, but I can understand why some would interpret the tone of the OP quote as being IDGAF.
Not quite the 'she was a good girl, but I've got me a hot new date' sort of line exactly.
I haven't heard it either. But I guess it's in the interpretation.
I must admit I read it as him saying "I really hope the tigers do well". and then Checking himself as a player for the opposition with"not that I care!"

Over his career at functions, supporter days and events, I was one of the supporters that noted his absolute disdain for the people that idolized him. His arrogance always rubbed me the wrong way particularly when I saw how he reacted to kids. It was a running joke with the other players I spoke to as well. He was well known around the club as a sarcastic, smart arse who had no time for the younger players and was very divisive in the group. He had his 'click' and had no time for others. It was also why he was never considered for Captaincy. Lids was all about Lids.

Don't get me wrong, he was a star player for us when the shelves were almost bare. When you talk about developing a good culture at a club though, losing him wasn't a bad thing especially given his history of injury now too.

It's funny because I've heard the opposite from posters on this board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back