Lids has his say on the Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

I was so excited when Lids first came to the club. He was so quick, such a great mark and such an amazing kick. Unfortunately, what made him such a confident and self assured first year player was also what made him so arrogant in later years. Everything came so easy to him. His Dad almost made it as an AFL player and was determined to mold his son into one. He worked hard on Lids to make it but after a while he was already playing senior footy and beating everyone he played on. In Kyabram, they loved him and were excited that he was so good. He knew very early on that he was the best and his Dad tried to instill within him the want to be the best.

By the time he was drafted he was already considered a star by the community. Everything came easy to him. It was all about Brett.

Once he was drafted and proved his potential on the field, the opposition targeted him. After all, Richmond was an ordinary team and Lids was already one of our best in his first year. This had two effects on Lids - 1) It continued to magnify his arrogance & 2) He was targeted by the opposition. When he was nullified and tagged out of the game, coaches just moved him into other positions. The message was - we'll just avoid the problem because we haven't the time to allow you to work through it.

In the end Lids was all about Lids. He never had to fight to be the best. He never had to learn to shake a tag or keep his place in the side. He didn't want to put himself out for anyone and never wanted to do anything but the bare minimum. In the end Cotch and Richo used to openly joke about Lids hatred for supporters. He could not stand going to functions, meeting supporters, signing autographs and helping others. Its the same reason why he would never be a good Captain. He struggled to see past his own game, his own performance.

I still have a soft spot for Lids. He was a great player for our club during some bleak times. I always ignored his obvious arrogance and defended his inability to play in on field roles that we really needed him to. Now that he left the club to chase the money and a chance to win a flag, I don't expect him to still be raving about Richmond. What I do expect though is for him to still be appreciative of the club that supported him through the majority of his career and, most importantly, to the hundreds of thousands of supporters that stuck by him through those dark days.

In the end I hope Lids goes well at GWS but I just hope he eventually starts to think about others.

Over his career at functions, supporter days and events, I was one of the supporters that noted his absolute disdain for the people that idolized him. His arrogance always rubbed me the wrong way particularly when I saw how he reacted to kids. It was a running joke with the other players I spoke to as well. He was well known around the club as a sarcastic, smart arse who had no time for the younger players and was very divisive in the group. He had his 'click' and had no time for others. It was also why he was never considered for Captaincy. Lids was all about Lids.

Don't get me wrong, he was a star player for us when the shelves were almost bare. When you talk about developing a good culture at a club though, losing him wasn't a bad thing especially given his history of injury now too.

Can't believe I actuallyread all that dribble. To be fair some parts are likely true like his populatiry in Kyabram, but for the most part you're literally making stuff up lmao

At least a half crippled Lids got us back a first rounder after 250 games. I'm not sure how many players have achieved this fete, but it's a testament on how much his ability his valued.
All this bs of him being up himself and radadada is all irrelevant to us and his record is all that counts.
He did sign my 9yo son's jumper at Coburg around 13 years ago.
My experience of him was he became part of the Chris Newman head wobbling Society and would rarely attend VFL games to cheer the boys on and when he did so both him and Chris would walk around with their hands touching their arses (in their back pockets of course). Newman used to be his guardian angel and once he left Lids became isolated and stood out like a sore thumb.
Moved him on at the right time before he depreciated to nothing.

At least a half crippled Lids got us back a first rounder after 250 games. I'm not sure how many players have achieved this fete, but it's a testament on how much his ability his valued.
All this bs of him being up himself and radadada is all irrelevant to us and his record is all that counts.
He did sign my 9yo son's jumper at Coburg around 13 years ago.
My experience of him was he became part of the Chris Newman head wobbling Society and would rarely attend VFL games to cheer the boys on and when he did so both him and Chris would walk around with their hands touching their arses (in their back pockets of course). Newman used to be his guardian angel and once he left Lids became isolated and stood out like a sore thumb.
Moved him on at the right time before he depreciated to nothing.

This 'click' thing everyone harps on about is rubbish, unless it's a very big click which include the majority of the squad and young players, but that would go against what so many people are saying. Tempted to make a list of senior players I know for a fact he was good with since 2012 or whatever.

The only non-VFL player I've seen making more frequent than rare appearances is Cotchin and that was only after he became captain.

This 'click' thing everyone harps on about is rubbish, unless it's a very big click which include the majority of the squad and young players, but that would go against what so many people are saying. Tempted to make a list of senior players I know for a fact he was good with since 2012 or whatever.

The only non-VFL player I've seen making more frequent than rare appearances is Cotchin and that was only after he became captain.
It was an observation which people noted and it existed otherwise why would different groups be saying it? I observed it at Coburg when the Both of them could be bothered to low themselves to turn up. They did have hanger ons, but they were the leaders.

It was an observation which people noted and it existed otherwise why would different groups be saying it? I observed it at Coburg when the Both of them could be bothered to low themselves to turn up. They did have hanger ons, but they were the leaders.

Because people can be wrong.

I understand that people will assume I'm biased and turn a blind eye to Lids' weaknesses or wrongdoings, but that simply isn't the case. The reason I back him so much is because so much (not all) of the criticism is outdated, unfair or it's just a flat out lie.

One of the problems I've had with all this over the years is despite whether the criticism was deserved or not, there were players doing the same or worse, yet they never copped it. My favourite example being Dustin Martin, who was also a member of Lids' and Newy's so called click.

Because people can be wrong.

I understand that people will assume I'm biased and turn a blind eye to Lids' weaknesses or wrongdoings, but that simply isn't the case. The reason I back him so much is because so much (not all) of the criticism is outdated, unfair or it's just a flat out lie.

One of the problems I've had with all this over the years is despite whether the criticism was deserved or not, there were players doing the same or worse, yet they never copped it. My favourite example being Dustin Martin, who was also a member of Lids' and Newy's so called click.
Yes he was a follower with Sheds and Grigg. TV and Kingy were also in it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back