Society/Culture Life after Covid-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair work ombudsman and associated bodies throughout the land are all well and good, but don't expect to report your employer and then think you're going to be sticking around enjoying your current job but with better conditions. It doesn't work that way.

Which leads to the next beef: they won't give you a raise, but are quite happy to bring in contractors at a higher hourly rate, or hire someone new for more than you're getting.

Maybe that's out the window these days with casualisation and unemployment, but it shat me when I was working.

this may be a recent change - the 5 day number was allegedly what was the minimum under qld law at the time

Was 8 since 2020, unless you were a casual or contractor.

Fair work ombudsman and associated bodies throughout the land are all well and good, but don't expect to report your employer and then think you're going to be sticking around enjoying your current job but with better conditions. It doesn't work that way.

Yeah it can be bad. But they are making it easier to shove it up a shonky employer.

• If a member of the community has any knowledge or concerns about an employer paying their workers cash in hand, they can report it to the ATO online at ato.gov.au/ReportAConcern or by phone on 1800 060 062. Reports can be made anonymously. One in five of the reports we received in 2017–18 were about the black economy.

Some people think its good when you get paid cash. But unless its really favourable to you, you get no compensation or insurance if injured at work, you get no leave at all.
My wife worked for a Cafe , a new owner immediately imposed a pay cut, ( breaking 2 aspects of the law, its illegal to immediately change your employee's work conditions when you take over a business, and it was below the award ).
Then he started paying them in cash. Less take home pay than previously.

She quit , but i was shitty at her because she wouldn't let me dob in the prick.

Yeah it can be bad. But they are making it easier to shove it up a shonky employer.

• If a member of the community has any knowledge or concerns about an employer paying their workers cash in hand, they can report it to the ATO online at ato.gov.au/ReportAConcern or by phone on 1800 060 062. Reports can be made anonymously. One in five of the reports we received in 2017–18 were about the black economy.

Some people think its good when you get paid cash. But unless its really favourable to you, you get no compensation or insurance if injured at work, you get no leave at all.
My wife worked for a Cafe , a new owner immediately imposed a pay cut, ( breaking 2 aspects of the law, its illegal to immediately change your employee's work conditions when you take over a business, and it was below the award ).

She quit , but i was shitty at her because she wouldn't let me dob in the prick.

well i was with them 8 years ago, so we were being ****ed.

as Over The Post said, nothing we could have done about it anyway

One might work cash in hand for a second job where they are already paying high taxes. 40% is a lot of money to be throwing away.

One might work cash in hand for a second job where they are already paying high taxes. 40% is a lot of money to be throwing away.

Sure if you are already earning $87 000, (37% ) and you find someone to pay you enough cash to make it worth your while ( meaning that their own company can't claim it as an expense ), good luck. Its not worth you working anywhere near minimum if you are already earning $87 000.
( in fact if you are earning that much and you have time for a second job, you have found a very nice job ).

Sure if you are already earning $87 000, (37% ) and you find someone to pay you enough cash to make it worth your while ( meaning that their own company can't claim it as an expense ), good luck. Its not worth you working anywhere near minimum if you are already earning $87 000.
( in fact if you are earning that much and you have time for a second job, you have found a very nice job ).
IT works when you have a 3 day working week. The reason I wouldn't take on another job is that the tax would be a killer.

at $24 an hour, you would be earning just over $14 an hour after tax. an 8 hour day is worth $112. The effort doesn't seem to match the reward

Nothing will change after covid.

Companies will cut wages under the guise off covid. The poor will be poorer. The rich richer.

Lol at the plebs who think anything will change.

IT works when you have a 3 day working week. The reason I wouldn't take on another job is that the tax would be a killer.

at $24 an hour, you would be earning just over $14 an hour after tax. an 8 hour day is worth $112. The effort doesn't seem to match the reward

I guess that's how its meant to work.
Apparently some people are unemployed and would like the tax free threshold that goes with that job.

Outside small retail, most businesses are unlikely to be paying cash. Unless they can account for it, its counted as profit and is taxed as part of their business. They'd rather you pay tax than them. They can only do it if their business is able to receive cash off the books.
Even small retailers must be getting less cash trade. I haven't taken cash from an ATM in over a year now that its normal to use credit card for small purchases.

I guess that's how its meant to work.
Apparently some people are unemployed and would like the tax free threshold that goes with that job.

Outside small retail, most businesses are unlikely to be paying cash. Unless they can account for it, its counted as profit and is taxed as part of their business. They'd rather you pay tax than them. They can only do it if their business is able to receive cash off the books.
Even small retailers must be getting less cash trade. I haven't taken cash from an ATM in over a year now that its normal to use credit card for small purchases.

I was wondering how much Covid has accelerated the move to a cashless society. Hardly see it around anymore.

That, and almost all places dropping the $10 or $15 minimum purchase for using eftpos. I still pay cash for small stuff when I remember to, which is about once a month. I don't even carry change in my wallet for milk or bread any more.

They worked out it takes longer for that old lady to fumble in her purse for the cash, then have to give out the change, than a quick swipe of the card.

We have a coke machine at work, and i never have change for it any more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They worked out it takes longer for that old lady to fumble in her purse for the cash, then have to give out the change, than a quick swipe of the card.

We have a coke machine at work, and i never have change for it any more.
A lot of the vending machines pay by card now only offer one item per transaction and charge .3 per transaction. This is why I try to have some cash on hand.

A lot of the vending machines pay by card now only offer one item per transaction and charge .3 per transaction. This is why I try to have some cash on hand.

We have one of the cheap mechanical ones, holding only 3 varieties and filled up by the student owns it and only charging $1.00 a can. :D
I don't care how they work but i like $1.00 better than $4.00

The only verification workplaces need is a medical certificate based on the expert opinion of a health professional. Beyond that, it's none of their business what illness you have.

The requirement for a medical certificate is something I'd challenge. It's a waste of time and resources for some minor illnesses.
I think it would be an easy win to codify the medical certificate requirements across the board, and put the onus on the business requiring it to provide remote access to the medical professional and pay for it.

See how important it is then when they have to wear the cost.

I think it would be an easy win to codify the medical certificate requirements across the board, and put the onus on the business requiring it to provide remote access to the medical professional and pay for it.

See how important it is then when they have to wear the cost.

I guess it depends how much of a disincentive it is to people who might otherwise pull a sicky.
I know some people are blatantly uncaring, and will just front up to the doctor and get one for their "non illness". But how many people who would otherwise do it will be put off.

Some people take the approach that " i have ten days sickleave , and its my right to take them " it is, but only if sick.

The cost to an employer of getting a sick note, wouldn't amount to much compared to the cost of a days pay lost.

I guess it depends how much of a disincentive it is to people who might otherwise pull a sicky.
I know some people are blatantly uncaring, and will just front up to the doctor and get one for their "non illness". But how many people who would otherwise do it will be put off.

Some people take the approach that " i have ten days sickleave , and its my right to take them " it is, but only if sick.

The cost to an employer of getting a sick note, wouldn't amount to much compared to the cost of a days pay lost.
It's the cold war between employers who think they are getting stuffed for paying an entitlement and employees who are made to feel bad for claiming an entitlement

It's the cold war between employers who think they are getting stuffed for paying an entitlement and employees who are made to feel bad for claiming an entitlement
To say nothing of the spread of colds and flu which could be avoided if the sufferer stayed home for a couple of days.

To say nothing of the spread of colds and flu which could be avoided if the sufferer stayed home for a couple of days.
But think of the inconvenience that would cause in the immediate term finding someone else to manage that days work.

Forget about losing three times as many the next week with it, that's another person's problem

It gets discussed where i work.
In general if someone is ill no-one cares.
Its when you have the same person often sick the tuesday after a long weekend they get a bit shitty.

Its only an entitlement if you are sick.

But its piss easy to work when you've got a cold. Nobody should need a day off for a cold. So no biggie if that spreads. Flu might knock you around a bit, so probably better to stay at home in that case.

But its piss easy to work when you've got a cold. Nobody should need a day off for a cold. So no biggie if that spreads. Flu might knock you around a bit, so probably better to stay at home in that case.
I for one hate having a cold, but no biggie

Go into the Chemist , tell them you want the good stuff from under the counter, flash your ID, and get on with things.

Phenylephrine is a scam.
-----------https://www.drugs.com/monograph/phenylephrine.html

Because of state and federal actions restricting OTC sale and purchase of preparations containing pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine (no longer commercially available in the US),109 110 111 112 some manufacturers have reformulated various OTC preparations by substituting phenylephrine for pseudoephedrine that was previously contained in these preparations.113 116

Has been used for self-medication for temporary relief of nasal congestion associated with sinusitis;114 117 however, efficacy data are lacking and/or controversial.117 118 119 In October 2005, FDA issued a final rule to remove this indication from labeling of OTC nasal decongestants (effective in 2007)
----------------

I said as much to the chemist who tried to sell it to me, she said "its a matter of opinion " i replied "its a matter of medical research".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back