Society/Culture Life after Covid-19

Nobody really knows what's going on in another persons life, including doctors and managers. I have no issue with people taking a day off work fishing if its good for their mental health. Happy and healthy workers are productive workers.

The sick leave system is open to abuse, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Of course you would.
Cost to you - Zero.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
No one would ever take advantage, would they... Human beings being noble and honest...
It may be that 75% of sickies are bullshit. That's the price you pay, and I think it's worth it. What's the alternative?

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Drink a cup of cement?
That's not practical if you agree that physical and mental health are important. Employers that don't give a s**t about the welfare of their employees often struggle with high turnover rates, then wonder why.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How do you differentiate between mental health and people taking a sickie because they don't give a sh*t?

Use software to identify patterns. We have massive absenteeism at my workplace and they never do anything about it. I know for a fact that people wait until they accrue a sick day and then take it off. I know of people who use sick leave as an entitlement to supplement annual leave. We've got guys that continually take off Sunday nights, and Friday afternoons. I can't complain though. I've earned over $15K from these guys over the last 3 years.

In 5 years, I've never taken sick leave over the period of one day.

Never. The world has moved on, in ways that we do not want, and if you think governments are going to relinquish powers and control and rule-by-fear you have another think coming.

I really hate to say it, but we will long for the freedom and unfettered travel of 2019 well after covid has been and gone.

I think so too. I wouldn't be surprized if governments mandated qr code check ins permanently in the name of safety. Personally I'd prefer to see a proximity app over check ins in terms of efficiency in contact tracing.

I worry that simply having the flu/cold may prevent you being able to travel in the future.

Use software to identify patterns. We have massive absenteeism at my workplace and they never do anything about it. I know for a fact that people wait until they accrue a sick day and then take it off. I know of people who use sick leave as an entitlement to supplement annual leave. We've got guys that continually take off Sunday nights, and Friday afternoons. I can't complain though. I've earned over $15K from these guys over the last 3 years.

In 5 years, I've never taken sick leave over the period of one day.

I think so too. I wouldn't be surprized if governments mandated qr code check ins permanently in the name of safety. Personally I'd prefer to see a proximity app over check ins in terms of efficiency in contact tracing.

I worry that simply having the flu/cold may prevent you being able to travel in the future.
My biggest worry for the future is being suddenly told to isolate for 14 days because I’ve unwittingly been in the same Woolworths as someone who has tested positive but is perfectly well. All as a result of QR codes.

How do you differentiate between mental health and people taking a sickie because they don't give a sh*t?

Companies know. Everything from how often they ask for leave, the leadtime on advising, the frequency of the requests, and how much they still are available whilst sick is a strong indicator

It may be that 75% of sickies are bullshit. That's the price you pay, and I think it's worth it. What's the alternative?

Worth it to you, because you aren't paying.
The alternative is Australia become the world's welfare state , with nearly all goods and services coming from overseas, where they don't have "personal well being days".

Worth it to you, because you aren't paying.
The alternative is Australia become the world's welfare state , with nearly all goods and services coming from overseas, where they don't have "personal well being days".
Wouldn't a business just switch someone from paid sickleave to unpaid days off or annual leave if they use more than their allowed sick days?

There are plenty of examples of people who work for four to five weeks, earn a sick day, and then take it near immediately - but that would sting them on the other end if they actually do get sick.

Regarding covid-19, I think the longer life takes to get back to normal the more questions people will demand answers to about the origin and decisions made early to restrict the global spread. So it's in the interests of everyone to wrap it up as soon as possible - India is a bubbling nationalist in waiting and motivating their people towards an existing unfriendly neighbor after particular inconvenient information comes to light will be too politically useful for Modi to resist.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
From The Age editorial.

Dr Nick Coatsworth, former federal deputy chief medical officer, recently asserted this when he spoke about the “false idol of eradication” and that “we need to come to terms with the idea that we cannot, nor do we need to, ride this one out in an eliminationist bunker”.​
This was echoed by Victorian Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton when he told healthcare workers in a private seminar that the country would reach a critical juncture where it must abandon its fortress Australia approach to COVID-19 and “make a call on letting it run” once vaccinations have been widely offered.​
Mr Morrison has other ideas. He said at the weekend that the country could not use vaccinations alone as a reason to reopen borders: “Australians, I don’t think, would welcome the incursion of the virus into the country.” Asked if he would only open the borders when the entire world was vaccinated, the Prime Minister declared it a “moving situation” because “we can’t control what is happening in the rest of the world”.​
That is true, Mr Morrison, but surely you can control how Australia prepares for a world in which we learn to live with COVID-19 – as we do with other viruses.​
That means generating far greater urgency for people, when they can, to get vaccinated. That means supporting a wider range of quarantine options beyond the expensive and ill-equipped hotels that are the backbone of today’s program. That means ensuring Australia has access to enough COVID-19 vaccine, and booster doses if required.​
Continuing to put up the shutters against the world may win you favour, but it is not the best outcome for our economy or our society, and it denies the reality of what lies ahead of us.​

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
From The Age editorial.

Dr Nick Coatsworth, former federal deputy chief medical officer, recently asserted this when he spoke about the “false idol of eradication” and that “we need to come to terms with the idea that we cannot, nor do we need to, ride this one out in an eliminationist bunker”.​
This was echoed by Victorian Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton when he told healthcare workers in a private seminar that the country would reach a critical juncture where it must abandon its fortress Australia approach to COVID-19 and “make a call on letting it run” once vaccinations have been widely offered.​
Mr Morrison has other ideas. He said at the weekend that the country could not use vaccinations alone as a reason to reopen borders: “Australians, I don’t think, would welcome the incursion of the virus into the country.” Asked if he would only open the borders when the entire world was vaccinated, the Prime Minister declared it a “moving situation” because “we can’t control what is happening in the rest of the world”.​
That is true, Mr Morrison, but surely you can control how Australia prepares for a world in which we learn to live with COVID-19 – as we do with other viruses.​
That means generating far greater urgency for people, when they can, to get vaccinated. That means supporting a wider range of quarantine options beyond the expensive and ill-equipped hotels that are the backbone of today’s program. That means ensuring Australia has access to enough COVID-19 vaccine, and booster doses if required.​
Continuing to put up the shutters against the world may win you favour, but it is not the best outcome for our economy or our society, and it denies the reality of what lies ahead of us.​

I thought a year ago Morrison was all about opening the borders and living with Covid?

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Didn't see this coming but there is going to be a mass exodus of jobs coming. I'm already seeing it at my company. People leaving like crazy.

Number of reasons. One being that companies have treated their workers like s**t.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Didn't see this coming but there is going to be a mass exodus of jobs coming. I'm already seeing it at my company. People leaving like crazy.

Number of reasons. One being that companies have treated their workers like sh*t.

and the state govt misread this so badly they are offering generous retrenchment packages

Number of reasons. One being that companies have treated their workers like sh*t.

"The Great Resignation"

https://www.smartcompany.com.au/coronavirus/great-resignation-australia/

A survey of 1800 workers conducted by consulting firm PwC Australia found 38% want to find a new job in the next 12 months.

What’s more, six in 10 people who have left a business in the past year are also looking to leave their current employer in the next 12 months.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Back