Life after Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Now I'm not saying that we need to sack Hardwick after Friday, but its worth having a mature think about what we do once our current run is dead.

Typically teams are only in with a genuine shot at a flag for 2 seasons (unless you're a 3peat quality team which we arent). We have already had 2, and with the age of our better players next year looks to be our last genuine shot (although i have doubts). By the time 2020 rolls around, we will likely be dipping down again for another rebuild.

The question is, do we think Hardwick is the guy, or do we look to someone else. The first rebuild was long and on shaky ground until Hardwick got some better assistants, and so there's legitimate grounds to question whether he can do it again once those assistants leave. By the end of 2019 he will also be our 2nd longest serving coach, with only 1 year needed to take over the top spot as our longest serving coach. 10 years is a long time to coach a team, and it may be time for the club to look for a new voice.

I admit I don't know what I think the club should do, which is why I put the question out there. Even if it's not next year or the year after that that we start to fall, do we think hardwick is the man to oversee our inevitable nect rebuild?

Now I'm not saying that we need to sack Hardwick after Friday, but its worth having a mature think about what we do once our current run is dead.

Typically teams are only in with a genuine shot at a flag for 2 seasons (unless you're a 3peat quality team which we arent). We have already had 2, and with the age of our better players next year looks to be our last genuine shot (although i have doubts). By the time 2020 rolls around, we will likely be dipping down again for another rebuild.

The question is, do we think Hardwick is the guy, or do we look to someone else. The first rebuild was long and on shaky ground until Hardwick got some better assistants, and so there's legitimate grounds to question whether he can do it again once those assistants leave. By the end of 2019 he will also be our 2nd longest serving coach, with only 1 year needed to take over the top spot as our longest serving coach. 10 years is a long time to coach a team, and it may be time for the club to look for a new voice.

I admit I don't know what I think the club should do, which is why I put the question out there. Even if it's not next year or the year after that that we start to fall, do we think hardwick is the man to oversee our inevitable nect rebuild?

No matter what happens in the next couple of years, i'm glad of the run we had with hardwick. Yes, 2013, 2015, and 2018 were wasted opportunities in hindsight. But i'm confident the list has another flag left in it, and full credit to hardwick for getting us to this position.

But if not hardwick by 2020, then who else?

For my two cents, i'd say clarkson, newman or craig mcrae.

I disagree with the “only get 2 chances” logic.

-Geelong had 2007-11 and arguably 13, 14 and even 16. That’s 5-8 chances.
-Hawks had 2008 and 2011-2016.
-Sydney had 5 cracks from 2012-2016.
-Pies had 2-3 attempts 2010-12
-Port had 3-4 goes from 2001-04. Could even chuck in 2007.
-Lions had 4 chances. 5 if you include 99.
-Bombers had 90, 93, 96, 99, 00, 01
-North made 7 straight prelims

The age profile of the list is pretty good. Cotchin 28, Martin 27, Riewoldt 29, Rance 28, Edwards 29 are our biggest concerns in terms of age. No reason why we can’t have another 3 years around the mark before we need to start replacing one or two of them.

How longs wc been in the window , 2y is bs notional period

No matter what happens in the next couple of years, i'm glad of the run we had with hardwick. Yes, 2013, 2015, and 2018 were wasted opportunities in hindsight. But i'm confident the list has another flag left in it, and full credit to hardwick for getting us to this position.

But if not hardwick by 2020, then who else?

For my two cents, i'd say clarkson, newman or craig mcrae.

Grigg. Once he’s had experience elsewhere, timing should be right in about 3-4 years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The age profile of the list is pretty good. Cotchin 28, Martin 27, Riewoldt 29, Rance 28, Edwards 29 are our biggest concerns in terms of age. No reason why we can’t have another 3 years around the mark before we need to start replacing one or two of them.
That's ignoring all the teams that only had a few gos though. Stkilda Sydney and West coast around 05,06, freo and stkilda around 10,11, Collingwood 02 and 03, Adelaide 05, 06. The teams you mentioned are either all time great teams (cats hawks lions) or serial finals chokers port. Your essendon example makes little sense as the 93 team was completely different to the 99 one, essendon had at least 1 rebuild in that time.

That's ignoring all the teams that only had a few gos though. Stkilda Sydney and West coast around 05,06, freo and stkilda around 10,11, Collingwood 02 and 03, Adelaide 05, 06. The teams you mentioned are either all time great teams (cats hawks lions) or serial finals chokers port. Your essendon example makes little sense as the 93 team was completely different to the 99 one, essendon had at least 1 rebuild in that time.

I’m not ignoring them, it’s just that their existence doesn’t disprove my point. It is possible for teams to have more than a couple of chances. And you’re underselling a few of them.

FWIW St Kilda finished top 4 in 2004, 05, 08, 09, 10. They weren’t a realistic chance in 2008 but otherwise a contender for a number of years.

Sydney were a big show in 2003, 05 and 06.

Freo were top 4 for 3 years (13-15) and the Dogs were up for 3 (2008-10). These weren’t even premier teams and they had a few cracks at it. Eagles have won 16 games 3 out of the last 4 years, and made 2 GF’s.

Pies only made 2 GF’s, but made the prelim 5/6 years. One of which they only lost by 5 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rebuild is a dirty word imo, look at Carlton and St Kilda... We need to do what the other good teams have done in recent times and rebuild on the run continue to play for the now, but also bring in fresh blood and picking off talent. this is what Hawks have done and you can bet will continue to do.

If you ask the playing list, everyone thinks they are in the premiership window every year. Sure some get a rude shock but players and coaches pursue an open window at the beginning of every year

One under-rated aspect of Dimma is he is extremely well respected across the entire industry. Just Friday, alone, he showed real class personally congratulating Bucks, and Cox was extremely flattered for Dimma to say he was BOG.

With him at the club, we attract talented people both on and off the field. If he wants to re-build/re-load in the post cotchin/reiwoldt/rance era, I reckon we give him that chance

Agreed.

Our age profile is no worse than any other club.

Despite Friday we remain the best team and in my opinion the favourites for 2019.

Let's worry about 2021 etc when we have to

One under-rated aspect of Dimma is he is extremely well respected across the entire industry. Just Friday, alone, he showed real class personally congratulating Bucks, and Cox was extremely flattered for Dimma to say he was BOG.

With him at the club, we attract talented people both on and off the field. If he wants to re-build/re-load in the post cotchin/reiwoldt/rance era, I reckon we give him that chance
Im glad someone posted this.

Hardwick is a very humble man.

Good to see some actually reasoned responses inbetween all the 'i only read the thread title' bullshit

The third paragraph of the OP suggesting the rebuild only worked because a couple of assistants changed and when they leave we are finished.
Fatally flawed argument.

Hardwick is the crucial piece in this organisation. He is the glue that bonds the playing group to believe in each other, trust in the process and buy into their shared journey.

The future without him will need to be thought through very carefully. He brings much more than your stock standard footy coach.
Notice how Collingwood in particular are copying everything down to even the words we use? They can see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back