Life after Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s tough to judge a VFL coach based on Premierships. Their main role is to develop young talent and prepare them for AFL football. Sometimes that can be at the expense of VFL glory.
True as in 2017 he was forced to play Maric rather than Soldo , but I’m still not certain he is an AFL coach candidate. It’s also strange with all the vacancies this year he wasn’t even mentioned by a club as a possibility. I still think he’s just a developmental coach and nothing more.

Players love Dimma and Dimma loves the players, the staff and the fans.

Reminds me of the Powerhouse Hafey years cept when we were hated and feared.
With modern footy and they way it is Dimma has a bit more of that softer touch and more hands on deck with the whole Club on the same page.

Glorious times ahead if we don't get too far ahead of ourselves and remember to keep doing the things that got us here.

And even the great Tommy Hafey went from back to back premierships 73/74, Prelim in 75 and gone at the end of 1976. No one is really safe from change.

Last edited:
And even the great Tommy Hafey went from back to back premierships 73/74, Prelim in 75 and gone at the end of 1976. No one is really safe from change.
Backstabbing and Graeme Richmond caused a lot of that cloak and dagger stuff. So much more stable with Peg and Benny at the helm.

Yes.
Can't really draw an analogy from different decades.
We were arrogant for a while after 73-74 with incompetent arbitrary management decisions at times.
In terms of current times, would retain Damien H to 2025 at least.
McRae is essential too.
We've let a couple of talented assistants depart and cannot afford to cut any further in the short term.
Certainly, Caracella would be regretting joining the Dons with their fractured nature.

Yes.
We were arrogant for a while after 73-74 with incompetent arbitrary management decisions at times.
McRae is essential too.
We've let a couple of talented assistants depart and cannot afford to cut any further in the short term.
Certainly, Caracella would be regretting joining the Dons with their fractured nature.

I reckon leppa is underrated , important deputy to dimma , knows his stuff oh and a bit around winning flags too, I hope he sticks around for a while yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True as in 2017 he was forced to play Maric rather than Soldo , but I’m still not certain he is an AFL coach candidate. It’s also strange with all the vacancies this year he wasn’t even mentioned by a club as a possibility. I still think he’s just a developmental coach and nothing more.
Not sure how serious the interest was, but I know the Crows board really wanted McRae for their job, but apparently he has young children in Melbourne and seperated from the mother so can't really leave the state. (Not sure on accuracy of all this. Just what was spoken about on their board)

Key people went over to essedon from rfc of late, I trust that those potential chess moves to get dimma is being looked at.

Dimma's looking at doing a Hafey and joining a hated enemy after winning us 4 premierships and then taking them to 4 losing grand finals.

Reckon we're looking at a significant change of senior players before a change in coach. Rance, Riewoldt, Houli, Shedda, Cotch, Astbury, Grimes, Dusty... All north of 28, which means they're all potentially one major injury away from the end.

I'm confident in our depth, but there's never a guarantee any given 22 players are going to click. Thankfully, we can enjoy the glorious uncertainty from a position of smug premiership-ness.

Dimma will step down before he’s sacked.

I sincerely hope so, but it's pretty rare.

Brad Scott would be the first in a while, and I'm not entirely convinced he actually stepped down. Reckon they might have agreed to say he stepped down, so he could have a swing at a few of those vacant coaching jobs.

Who was the last before then? Roos? Lol, maybe Roos at Melbourne and Roos at Sydney before that.

Backstabbing and Graeme Richmond caused a lot of that cloak and dagger stuff. So much more stable with Peg and Benny at the helm.

I agree we seem in a better place, perhaps. Peggy says she will stand down soon. Everything is stable until it's not.

Yes.
McRae is essential too.

Isn't hindsight a marvelous tool!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back