Universal Love Life Memberships - Take some time to check this out

Remove this Banner Ad

That's awesome! Love this.
Congrats to rbartlett, Roland (who I'm sure I used to be in the cheer squad with many moons ago) and anyone else involved in this great tribute.
Love this club

Also, thank you rbartlett for the time and effort you put into this. These things can't be possible without it.

And Steve whoever that is.

Yes, step forward Steve and accept our thanks!

Hey guys.

Not only was Rhett among Richmond royalty, he, himself, is Richmond royalty and, from afar, that thread of his is the best Richmond thing I've seen on Twitter.

I won't spoil it but the thread and subsequent responses are worth reading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was fortunate enough to be invited to the function on Friday where life membership was awarded to my great uncle Dave Watson. Dave played in the 1902 flag. His brother (my great grandfather) Joe Watson also played with the Tigers in the late 1890s though not in a premiership. He was however a stalwart of the club and awarded life membership back in 1924 (he was club trainer and is in most of the team photos through to the Jack Dyer era). So it was 94 years between brothers getting their life membership. Like everyone those days they came from a big family and two other brothers and some of their sons/nephews also played for the Tiges.

It was a fantastic day and kudos to everyone involved. The club put on a great function with the cups from the respective years (plus 2017) being on show. Rhett and Emmett Dunne were really approachable and made us all feel really welcome. Benny and Peggy were also there, as well as a bunch of hardcore Richmond people with great stories and memorabilia. There were even a few tuncoats (!) including John Cahill, who was an absolute gentleman and accepted membership on behalf of a relative. Everyone was made to feel welcome and part of the family.

Here's the important part.

They still have a large list of premiership players who have not yet been awarded life membership because the club does not have contact with their descendants. Especially the 1902 and 1905 VFA teams and the early VFL premierships because it was so long ago. If any of you guys have relatives who are in those old premiership photos, please get in touch with the club because they plan to award more life memberships at a later date.

If you click here it opens the Twitter post and you can read all them

Post 10....tell you what. I was fighting back a few tears while reading that. Just one more thing added to the list of things that makes me so very proud of the RFC. HUGE THANKYOU !! To Rhet Bartlett and everyone else involved in a great initiative to bring people into the club & and further embrace & acknowledge the contribution of those from times gone by....... Gone maybe, but never forgotten...:tigerface:. Go you Tigers :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back