Life

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious?

Certainly alive and well at our footy club. Indicates a bit of insecurity if you don’t want to imo, who the **** wants to shower in jocks?
I thought you were the resident nice guy?

Some people do have insecurities: yes, men as well. If someone has a disfigurement, scar, birth mark, obesity, or hey - even a small penis or weird testicles - who are you to say their anxiety is queer? There are lots of people who hate taking their shirts off at the beach, who don’t like the way they look... that’s without mentioning people who have had issues with sexual abuse or who tie being naked around people to something pretty sad.

the last thing they want is some loud mouthed campaigner calling them gay for not showing it to everyone else.

I thought you were the relevant nice guy?

Some people do have insecurities: yes, men as well. If someone has a disfigurement, scar, birth mark, obesity, or hey - even a small penis or weird testicles - who are you to say their anxiety is queer? There are lots of people who hate taking their shirts off at the beach, who don’t like the way they look... the last thing they want is some loud mouthed campaigner calling them gay for not showing it to everyone else.

I don't think anyone at our club would give a s**t but if someone really doesn't want to shower because of a weird disfigurement then I understand perfectly. Not going to go around change room whipping the towel telling people to get their kit off.

Just saying for the most part that showering nude is alive and well and hopefully it stays that way

Showering with other men after sports is surely a relic of a bygone era. I don't know many guys these days that'd willingly get naked infront of their teammates
You're only showering, not putting on an end of season sex show. I think the people who don't like doing it, are overthinking it. That being said I'm speaking from a soccer point of view, not sure what weird stuff Rugby League dudes would get up to.

I thought you were the resident nice guy?

Some people do have insecurities: yes, men as well. If someone has a disfigurement, scar, birth mark, obesity, or hey - even a small penis or weird testicles - who are you to say their anxiety is queer? There are lots of people who hate taking their shirts off at the beach, who don’t like the way they look... that’s without mentioning people who have had issues with sexual abuse or who tie being naked around people to something pretty sad.

the last thing they want is some loud mouthed campaigner calling them gay for not showing it to everyone else.

Again, it's just showering. Yeah if you had some messed up history involving abuse I could understand but (in my experience) no one cares, it's a dick, we've all seen them. The only people I have ever seen get grief are the guys who are hung like horses. If you're playing competitive sport you're usually in reasonable shape and if you're not who cares. Once again, maybe soccer is different, I don't know.

I don't think anyone at our club would give a s**t but if someone really doesn't want to shower because of a weird disfigurement then I understand perfectly. Not going to go around change room whipping the towel telling people to get their kit off.

Just saying for the most part that showering nude is alive and well and hopefully it stays that way
Personally, I don't care one way or the other, but hoping it continues seems a bit strong.

I just think it's a sad day when we all decide we have to shower in clothes to avoid some kind of perceived awkwardness which shouldn't exist.
No one is saying you have to shower in clothes. We have this thing called cubicles. I don't think there's anything sad or not about not showering with a bunch of other naked men. It does seem rather unnecessary.

Life is good,but I have one major hurdle coming up in the next couple of months.
Apparently my ABN expired so I have to see an accountant which involves doing my tax returns.
Problem is I haven't done one since 1994.
I'll be rapt if I keep out of jail.

My gym has about half a dozen showers in cubicles and a communal open area where people get changed. Plus presumably the same in the women's changeroom. I would've thought that's pretty standard for 2018.

What do the AFL or VFL/WAFL/SANFL grounds have these days?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Life is good,but I have one major hurdle coming up in the next couple of months.
Apparently my ABN expired so I have to see an accountant which involves doing my tax returns.
Problem is I haven't done one since 1994.
I'll be rapt if I keep out of jail.
Mate seriously what has this got to do with showering naked with men?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most gyms/change rooms have closed showers anyway.

Last time I had an open shower was overseas in a high populated country on a sub 35 degree day in extreme humidity and there were people everywhere. Just said f it needs to be done.

This whole footy club shower with the boys type thing has always struck me as incredibly odd.

Showering with other men after sports is surely a relic of a bygone era. I don't know many guys these days that'd willingly get naked infront of their teammates
I've not yet played at a club which doesn't have open showers.

I shower in private at all times. Including the gym.

Good thing I took up umpiring as oposed to playing footy.

Most gyms/change rooms have closed showers anyway.

Last time I had an open shower was overseas in a high populated country on a sub 35 degree day in extreme humidity and there were people everywhere. Just said f it needs to be done.

This whole footy club shower with the boys type thing has always struck me as incredibly odd.
Why? It's not like a bunch of blokes are getting together and forcing one another to shower naked with one another.

They have just played a game of sport that has left them smelling and feeling pretty yuck, the only showers available are open showers and with footy in particular they're probably going to hang around after to watch the next game or have post game food/drinks.

What else do you suggest they do to clean themselves up post game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back