Life

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Ever cleaned out a family home after 40 years? * accumulating 'stuff'. I reckon I could get through 360 days a year owning 3 or 4 coffee cups, most days 1 or 2. Occasionally I might have 5 or 10 people around at once and they might all want a coffee at the same time. Go to people's houses and they've got 10, 20 or more of the things. And then 3 or 4 sets of plates, 95 Tupperware containers, 148 wine glasses...

Now that I am old(er) and rich(not poor) I replace some stuff with better stuff as I go. Now own a couple of good fry pans, a good set of knives, a coffee machine etc. But I expect to keep those things for a long time. Last year I bought a nice winter coat/jacket, so it's not like I need to rush out and do that again soon. The only clothes I really go through regularly are shoes and jeans/work clothes that are worn and washed weekly and only last so long. * being one of those people who goes out and buys a 'whole new wardrobe' every season, the odd new thing here and there is fine.

rank and file

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2013
michael mitchell country
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
bell park
$1.15 for a pack of 15 PJ Blue when I was 13. Doubled down that I was a paperboy where my best mate's brother managed the mornings and gave us free run of the shop. We used to take so much s**t, cigs, mags, chocs... I got addicted for free.
Early morning paperboy was the best,especially Christmas time when you'd get your tips.Cashed up for the whole summer.The only thing I hated was the Saturday Age,each paper was a couple of kilos of pain in the arse.

Ha! That was my first thought when Gough mentioned the price of darts when he was kicking off. PJ15's - the preferred durrie of school children everywhere! Could hide them in you sleeve and adults couldn't see the box outline :moustache:
Plus everyone else smoked back then so they were less likely to notice you smelled like an ashtray. When I first moved to England you could buy packets of 10 which I'd never seen before.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Early morning paperboy was the best,especially Christmas time when you'd get your tips.Cashed up for the whole summer.The only thing I hated was the Saturday Age,each paper was a couple of kilos of pain in the arse.
Ha yeah the Saturday Age was the pits. I had a double crate set up on my BMX and the thing would endo by itself if I didnt keep hold of it. IIRC Saturday was the only day a lot of people got the Age, during the week there would only be about 6 out of 40-50 papers but on Saturdays there would be 10-15.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Plus everyone else smoked back then so they were less likely to notice you smelled like an ashtray. When I first moved to England you could buy packets of 10 which I'd never seen before.
When I was a child you could get Viscount 10s and a box of matches for $2
My brother used to get them and we would have a f**
He kept them hidden down at the park and all the local kids did too so it would be a bit of a smokers club

Last edited:

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Seemed a good thread title to dump this story.
I was down at the markets theres this old American ex nam vet who ended up in Australia (surprisingly for a small town we have 2 at the markets same history)
I know them both a little bit, usually have a chat
First one was looking slimmed down and happy

The next one was looking grey skinned and thin
I ask one hows it going today

His wife and daughter died within 4 hours of each other this week and his grand son hung himself a few days later........fuuuuuuuuuuu.
I tried to be as compassionate as I could but obviously nothing was going to help.

Stayed for a while and then slowly walked away

Perth gal

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I was down at the markets theres this old American ex nam vet who ended up in Australia (surprisingly for a small town we have 2 at the markets same history)

His wife and daughter died within 4 hours of each other this week and his grand son hung himself a few days later........fuuuuuuuuuuu.
I tried to be as compassionate as I could but obviously nothing was going to help.

WOw. That's harsh. Poor man.

tryitout

All Australian
Jan 11, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

Wife and daughter same accident or totally unrelated? That's some horrendous cards to be dealt in such a short space of time. Hope he has family around him still.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Wife and daughter same accident or totally unrelated? That's some horrendous cards to be dealt in such a short space of time. Hope he has family around him still.
I didnt ask, he was shattered, I figured he would say if he wanted me to know.
He has been coming to the market for over a decade,Im hoping he has friends there and more family

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Not mine but yeah. Makes me a minimalist. Just don't want to accumulate s**t. What I don't get is with all that stuff how much is actually used?

Heat maps are fascinating, even if they are only something conceptual (i.e. there's no AFL Telstra tracker in your living room).

So far this week I've used the stove and sink in the kitchen, sink and shower in the bathroom and the toilet. Have also used the coffee machine, microwave, TV and opened the fridge. Haven't used the oven, washing machine or dishwasher, haven't used the laundry sink, haven't even been into the spare room or opened at least a dozen cupboards. Etc. My heat map would be something like 20% living area, 60% bed, 20% kitchen/bathroom for the time I have been home.

There's stuff I have that I'm never going to use all the time like winter jackets which I don't need in March, snowboard which is of * all use in Perth etc. but people convince themselves they need more stuff than they actually do and then more space to house all the stuff, and then they fill that space then need more space for even more stuff and it goes on and on.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Trying to de-clutter without just throwing out stuff that is useful or can be recycled. I have plenty of cupboard space in the kitchen so I can have stuff like a blender and slow cooker that you use every so often without having the bench covered in small appliances. Key is to not get into the habit of constantly buying s**t. If you keep buying new stuff, old stuff has to make way or you just end up with more and more stuff.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Trying to de-clutter without just throwing out stuff that is useful or can be recycled. I have plenty of cupboard space in the kitchen so I can have stuff like a blender and slow cooker that you use every so often without having the bench covered in small appliances. Key is to not get into the habit of constantly buying s**t. If you keep buying new stuff, old stuff has to make way or you just end up with more and more stuff.
Yep, I think it's fine as long as your place isn't 'cluttered' at all and there is actually a realistic chance that you will use it even if it is over a year away. Be honest, if not get rid of it.

I almost threw out 2 old suitcases of books the missus has in the shed. She cracked the shits when she saw I had them ready to be thrown out.

4 years later and hey havent been touched and still sitting in the shed. Does my head in

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Donate the books, don't throw them out

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
SA doesn't buy clothes?

I don't believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I buy vintage and when I don't it's generally good quality brands (Carhartt, Dickies, Levis, Converse) that I know'll last years. I love clothes but I don't just... buy it.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The old 'turn around all your coathangers on January 1 then put them back the other way as you use them' thing probably works. There would be shirts, jackets etc. in my wardrobe I didn't wear in 2018.

To some extent but I have half a dozen suits and unlikely I'll have half a dozen formal events any year for example. That doesn't mean I should turf five of them.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
This feeling is based entirely on pop culture and American tv/movies but.

Growing up as a teen in the mid 90s small town USA would have been the ****.

You and I must be in to different pop culture. Small town USA looks more like the pits.

Back