Light Roller

Remove this Banner Ad

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
I have moved to the country and would like to roll my own cricket pitch in summer.

I am looking to secure a light roller for this purpose.

Would someone be able to give me an insight as to how I would acquire one, as searching the web is not providing me much help at the moment.

Mods feel free to move this to the appropriate place.

Where you putting your cricket pitch out of interest?

Id actually enjoy doing this as a hobby - if I had 1000 acres...

I have moved to the country and would like to roll my own cricket pitch in summer.

I am looking to secure a light roller for this purpose.

Would someone be able to give me an insight as to how I would acquire one, as searching the web is not providing me much help at the moment.

Mods feel free to move this to the appropriate place.

For Starters you need the right soil - black clay - anything else and you are wasting your time. I would then suggest you get the right type of turf - santa ana couch.

As for the roller you can always make yourself one depending upon how serious you want to get. The simple method is to get yourself a drum put a steel rod through the centre fill it with concrete - let it set and then add a handle to it. Mentay would be your best bet of getting a second hand one.

I stress the importance of the soil and turf if you want to do it properly.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I've heard that all the turf wickets in the southern suburbs of Melbourne had black clay shipped in.

If I wanted to change the turf, then could I seed the ground or would I need to buy turf?

This is all to gauge how serious I want to get. Obviously this is just a home thing.

I've heard that all the turf wickets in the southern suburbs of Melbourne had black clay shipped in.

If I wanted to change the turf, then could I seed the ground or would I need to buy turf?

This is all to gauge how serious I want to get. Obviously this is just a home thing.

If you have a trailer or a ute and a weekend - I can get you the soil. You can get the turf very cheaply and do it yourself. Let me know what you are thinking - I built one from scratch
http://allansfordrecreserve.com.au/

Not a fan of mentays rollers. If you've got a heap of black anthills on your property, you could use them, but would need to crush and sift the organic matter out, probably turn out dusty wicket still, plus it'd be more difficult than getting processed black clay. Seeding is a pain in the arse, get washed couch if you can.

If you have a trailer or a ute and a weekend - I can get you the soil. You can get the turf very cheaply and do it yourself. Let me know what you are thinking - I built one from scratch
http://allansfordrecreserve.com.au/

I clicked on the pitch photo. The ground looks grand, took me back to when I was a kid with those houses around it and the footy goal posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back