Autopsy Liked, learned and Loathed - Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

jshster

Rookie
Feb 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Liked - The way the top 8 ended up. Eagles having to travel. Tigers having to travel. Cats sook sook sooking (fwiw if the AFL are willing to allow Giants to play on their home ground, why can't the Cats?).

Learned - Tigers will be very very hard to beat. Clearly a notch above. Eagles very flaky. Won't exit in straight sets but will struggle to get to the prelim.

Loathed - Hawks getting with in a whisker of the finals. They've had enough success, bugger off. Lack of close games. Bit of a snorefest outside of the Hawks game (which was only interesting because Eagles were being beaten), Kangas/Demons and Friday night to a degree. Channel seven commentary team bias (this is a weekly loathe).

Round 23 Results

Final Ladder
PositionTeamPlayedWinLossDraw%WonPointsForAgainstPercentage
1​
22​
16​
6​
0​
72.73%​
64​
1984​
1462​
135.70%​
2​
22​
16​
6​
0​
72.73%​
64​
2004​
1694​
118.30%​
3​
22​
16​
6​
0​
72.73%​
64​
1892​
1664​
113.70%​
4​
22​
15​
7​
0​
68.18%​
60​
1885​
1601​
117.74%​
5​
22​
15​
7​
0​
68.18%​
60​
1902​
1691​
112.48%​
6​
22​
13​
9​
0​
59.09%​
52​
1926​
1669​
115.40%​
7​
22​
12​
10​
0​
54.55%​
48​
1941​
1810​
107.24%​
8​
22​
12​
10​
0​
54.55%​
48​
1702​
1784​
95.40%​
9​
22​
11​
11​
0​
50.00%​
44​
1742​
1602​
108.74%​
10​
22​
11​
11​
0​
50.00%​
44​
1806​
1714​
105.37%​
11​
22​
10​
12​
0​
45.45%​
40​
1776​
1761​
100.85%​
12​
22​
10​
12​
0​
45.45%​
40​
1824​
1834​
99.45%​
13​
22​
9​
13​
0​
40.91%​
36​
1579​
1718​
91.91%​
14​
22​
9​
13​
0​
40.91%​
36​
1645​
1961​
83.89%​
15​
22​
8​
14​
0​
36.36%​
32​
1706​
1746​
97.71%​
16​
22​
7​
15​
0​
31.82%​
28​
1609​
1905​
84.46%​
17​
22​
5​
17​
0​
22.73%​
20​
1569​
1995​
78.65%​
18​
22​
3​
19​
0​
13.64%​
12​
1351​
2232​
60.53%​

Last edited by a moderator:
Liked- not much
Learned(well reaffirmed)- things in AFL are only that way because the media says it is
Loathed- Gold Coast, abject failure

Liked: Top Spot, not bad for a club that everyone has been writing off for the past 10 years! Rain at the footy! Danger on fire and "Little Gaz" is ready to tear the finals apart! A Friday night final is good for Cats fans.

Learned: The AFL will never grant Geelong a home final again, so just make an announcement to that effect and be done with it. I wish Gil would grow some aggots! I have no problem with the Cats playing the Pies or Tigers at the MCG, we all know the fixture isn't fair, it's not really going to improve unless we go to 20 teams and have a 19 round season! Just make a ruling and everyone will shut up about it. Narkle could be Kelly's replacement in 2020, what a young gun he is. The Eagles are in strife...bad time of year to have a bad patch? David King needs help, he thinks the West Coast Eagles can still win the flag from 5th, they will have to travel twice interstate to even make the Grand Final!

Loathed Nothing much this week.....except Geelong in White shorts in a home game WTF Cookie?

Last edited:

Liked The Bulldogs in the 8

Learned The Eagles can be beaten, Hawks going to menace us all in 2020 (they are a great club)

Loathed Nothing as loathed is a very strong negative emotion, but rather wished Dogs and Pies had met in an elimination final.

Liked: Not much, what an awful round of footy for us. Maybe the Bulldogs looking as they did in 2016, should be dangerous in the finals.

Learnt: we don't turn up even with everything on the line. We only have one more chance or else this is a wasted season. Deficiencies showing. Lions competitive but Tigers are experienced campaigners who tamed them.

Hated: as I said, terrible round for us. Every result conspired to kick us out of top 4, worst case scenario. We didn't turn up, and were embarassed. Most shellshocked I've felt as an Eagles supporter for a long time.

Liked - another great win for the boys from punt road

Learned - Brisbane are the real deal and will be very tough to beat at the Gabba.

Hated - pies falling into 4th spot on the back of a clarko masterclass.

Liked - another great win for the boys from punt road

Learned - Brisbane are the real deal and will be very tough to beat at the Gabba.

Hated - pies falling into 4th spot on the back of a clarko masterclass.
🙄
Liked - Pies earning a spot in the top four.

Learned- some tigers supporters just cant get enough of us.

hated - Brisbane tanking so they could play tigers at the Gabba and allow the tigers to fall into third place....

Learned
Cats are a huge chance, and the general ignorance of this is quite stunning. They are a defense first outfit and can lock teams down for long periods, with plenty of razzle dazzle when they choose to sprint forward of the ball.

Pies are just getting along but their ins are potentially gear shifting and game changing.

Tigers look more 2018 than 2017 to me. Teams getting close, lack of inside game, no i50 tackles, relying on a great marking and intercept defense, to which other teams may have the kryptonite.

Lions may win every game from here on in. Win one final and the belief will be elevated.

Liked
Putting a cumbersome ruckman on Kennedy - and it working, a bit of artistry about Clarko.

Loathed
The previous terms Disliked and Hated. Long live (a)lliteration!

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liked - The way the top 8 ended up. Eagles having to travel. Tigers having to travel. Cats sook sook

Loathed - Hawks getting with in a whisker of the finals. They've had enough success, bugger off. Lack of close games. Bit of a snorefest outside of the Hawks game (which was only interesting because Eagles were being beaten)
The Hawks did Collingwood a massive favour by thumping the Eagles. We knocked them out of the top four. This has vaulted the Pies into an MCG Qualifying Final vs Geelong and literally doubled your chances of winning the flag.

You should be thanking Hawthorn. All my Magpie mates sent me “thank you” texts.

But instead you sook about us “nearly” making the top 8 and having “too much success”

What an ungrateful son of a bitch!

It was a fantastic win by Hawthorn. If you thought that was a “snorefest”, then you probably know nothing about football. Not only our best win of the season and one of the Eagles worst home defeats ever, but it also turned the Top 8 composition and finals match ups on its ear. Nobody saw it coming.

The Channel 7 commentators did seem to be perplexed by the upset unfolding before their very eyes. Their energy levels seemed to mirror the crowd’s. (They were probably looking ahead to the ratings bonanza of a Coll v Ess final.) So I can understand why impressionable tv viewers not using their brain might’ve thought it was “boring”. Some people need Hudson, Russell, McAvaney or BT screaming in order to get excited.

Last edited:
The Hawks did Collingwood a massive favour by thumping the Eagles. We knocked them out of the top four. This has vaulted the Pies into an MCG Qualifying Final vs Geelong and literally doubled your chances of winning the flag.

But instead you sook about us “nearly” making the top 8 and having “too much success”

It was a fantastic win by Hawthorn. If you thought that was a “snorefest”, then you probably know nothing about football. Not only our best win of the season and one of the Eagles worst home defeats ever, but it also turned the Top 8 composition and finals match ups on its ear. Nobody saw it coming.

The Channel 7 commentators did seem to be perplexed by the upset unfolding before their very eyes. Their energy levels seemed to mirror the crowd’s. (They were probably looking ahead to the ratings bonanza of a Coll v Ess final.) So I can understand why impressionable tv viewers not using their brain might’ve thought it was “boring”. Some people need Hudson, Russell, McAvaney or BT screaming in order to get excited.
Very ungrateful Collingwood supporters, it’s only Richmond supporters who should be giving you guys a big F.U!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked - 37yo Burgoyne playing brilliantly and kicking 3 goals

Liked - Chad Wingard. You bloody beauty! What a player!

Liked - Tim O’Brien taking hangers, selling candy and kicking 4 goals versus the All Australian defence

Learned - the Hawks are going to be alright. There is some good young talent there and still some life in the older legs.

Liked - Essendon fans realising they’re not going to play an MCG blockbuster vs Collingwood in 2 weeks, but instead they’re gonna watch a Perth Elimination Final on TV - an angry West Coast team and 3 nervous umpires in front of 60,000 rabid fans. Should be good. :)

Liked/loathed - Chris Scott and Geelong fans having a massive sook and making asses of themselves over playing finals at the home of football, where they’ve played finals for the past 120 years. So you’ve got a boutique stadium... Get over yourselves!

Liked - Dangerfield. Awesome.

Liked - Narkle. Wow! Where has he been?

Liked - Dusty and Jack both in top form heading into September. Tigers fans have got the sniff of another flag

Loathed - Adelaide’s pitiful resistance from the very first bounce. Give us SOMETHING you lazy turnips! At least I didn’t waste 2 hours watching the whole game and getting my hopes up for nothing :)

Liked - Buddy celebrating his 300th with 4 goals and running around like he hadn’t been injured all year

Learned - Buddy has still got it. Never write off a champion. He will break the 1000 goal barrier next season

Liked - the Sydney stalwarts being chaired from the SCG (and Hanners getting in on it). 5 players chaired off (inc Bud). I hadn’t seen that before. Well played Macca, Kizza, Smithy & Reg.

- Ditto Jordan Lewis. Great career. Ended with a whimper at Melbourne, but funny to see him & Roughie interviewing each other these part 2 weekends

Liked - mad passionate North fans melting over Jeremy Cameron's lazy 9 goal bag vs substandard opposition (just one week after Ben Brown kicked 10 vs an inept Port Adelaide.) It's funny the stuff we're reduced to over the final rounds. Footy fans can be so blinkered and one-eyed about everything. It turned out to be a thrilling Coleman race. I can’t remember such enormous swings over the final weeks. Great seasons from both players. Hopefully they are rewarded with CHF and FF in the All Australian team

Learned - the Sydney Swans have a great future and their fans have a lot to be excited about after crashing 9 places to finish in the bottom four. I know this because Roosy and others in the media keep telling me. Normally when a team shiits the bed and tumbles from 6th to 15th, they go after the coach and it’s all doom and gloom, but the AFL media can only see Red & White rainbows and unicorns :D

Last edited:
Learned
Cats are a huge chance, and the general ignorance of this is quite stunning. They are a defense first outfit and can lock teams down for long periods, with plenty of razzle dazzle when they choose to sprint forward of the ball.

Pies are just getting along but their ins are potentially gear shifting and game changing.

Tigers look more 2018 than 2017 to me. Teams getting close, lack of inside game, no i50 tackles, relying on a great marking and intercept defense, to which other teams may have the kryptonite.

Lions may win every game from here on in. Win one final and the belief will be elevated.

Liked
Putting a cumbersome ruckman on Kennedy - and it working, a bit of artistry about Clarko.

Loathed
The previous terms Disliked and Hated. Long live (a)lliteration!

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
2018 R23
Def 13th place Bulldogs by 3pts, concedes 95pts. Somewhat lucky to win after trailing for much of the day and allowing opposition a shot in last minute that hit the post.

2019 R23
Def 2nd place Lions by 27pts, hold highest scoring team in the league to a season low 55pts. Cleared out early, allowed them into the contest briefly in the 3rd quarter before kicking clear again.

In 8 of our 9 consecutive wins we haven’t looked near losing. The only one we looked remotely shaky in was against the team that finished 5th and, if placed one position higher, would be equal favourites along with us for the flag.

Liked: Top Spot, not bad for a club that everyone has been writing off for the past 10 years! Rain at the footy! Danger on fire and "Little Gaz" is ready to tear the finals apart! A Friday night final is good for Cats fans.

Learned: The AFL will never grant Geelong a home final again, so just make an announcement to that effect and be done with it. I wish Gil would grow some aggots! I have no problem with the Cats playing the Pies or Tigers at the MCG, we all know the fixture isn't fair, it's not really going to improve unless we go to 20 teams and have a 19 round season! Just make a ruling and everyone will shut up about it. Narkle could be Kelly's replacement in 2020, what a young gun he is. The Eagles are in strife...bad time of year to have a bad patch? David King needs help, he thinks the West Coast Eagles can still win the flag from 5th, they will have to travel twice interstate to even make the Grand Final!

Loathed Nothing much this week
Loved the fact that so many people hate Ross Lyon.

Loved the fact 3-4 years ago everyone talked about the Bastardization of a Premiership standard of 100 points for and 86 against.

Only 2 sides barely averaged 90 points a game in attack not just in the finals but the whole league.

Ross Lyon has left a legacy in big footy. All 8 teams have made finals and are all as dour and as defensive as your typical ross Lyon side lol

Loved the fact that so many people hate Ross Lyon.

Loved the fact 3-4 years ago everyone talked about the Bastardization of a Premiership standard of 100 points for and 86 against.

Only 2 sides barely averaged 90 points a game in attack not just in the finals but the whole league.

Ross Lyon has left a legacy in big footy. All 8 teams have made finals and are all as dour and as defensive as your typical ross Lyon side lol
Shoot me now!

Liked - Lachie Neais 51
Learned - Clarkson is hands down the best tactical coach of the last 30 years
Loathed - WCE performance with a top 4 spot on the line.
WCE inability to adjust when the kicking game is not working
Swinging McGovern forward and Oscar Allen back.

Ironic you are also another Anti ross lyon poster like the rest of the hawks fans. Hawks only kicked 100 points once all season.

Ross Lyons freo kicked it 3 times in 21 games including 141 vs North.

Ross Lyon is the real winner here. Look at all the 8 teams that made it. Not one is up to the premiership standard no one.

the 2 highest scoring sides are lions averaging 90.5 points a game and cats on 90.18 points a game

Ironic you are also another Anti ross lyon poster like the rest of the hawks fans.
WTF?

I like Ross Lyon. I've always thought he did a great job to turn Freo into a legitimate power from 2012 to 2015
I think you must have me confused with someone else.

Hawks only kicked 100 points once all season.
Wrong. Hawks kicked 100+ in 2 games over the past fortnight. :rolleyes:

We were one of the best defensive teams this year without a decent key forward and minus the reigning Brownlow Medalist from our midfield.
We were dealt the toughest fixture of any team and finished a bee's dick out of the Top 8 behind a team that had one of the easier fixtures.

11 wins - def. Geel by 24pts, Coll by 4pts, WCE by 38pts and GWS(x2) by 33pts and 56pts
11 losses - margins: 5, 5, 6, 19, 19, 19, 19, 22, 23, 27, 36

Some of those early losses were unlucky when we lost 2-3 players to injury in the 1st half, eventually ran out of legs and got overhauled by a few points in the 4th quarter.

Playing crappy defensive football is no good when you're getting beaten 12.10 (72) to 6.8 (44). But the Hawks were competitive in every match they played this season. A winning chance in all bar 4 games. As far as rubbish seasons go, it wasn't that bad.

Last season we got a bit lucky to end up with 15 wins. This season, we didn't have a whole lot of luck and might've finished with 13 or 14 wins, so I'm not too fazed about it.

Ross Lyon is the real winner here. Look at all the 8 teams that made it. Not one is up to the premiership standard no one.
the 2 highest scoring sides are lions averaging 90.5 points a game and cats on 90.18 points a game
Nope... Ross Lyon is the real loser here. Sacked by fReMaNtLe on dubious grounds just weeks after North Melbourne and Carlton made their decision to hire their caretaker coaches.

Last edited:

Loathed Nothing much this week
Lucky we are a team used to travel.

We actually have a very travel friendly set up this year

12 day break - If we win thurs - 8 day break

play most likely collingwood - if we win that its a 7 day break before the next game.

Its not as bad as it could be - if we were peaking at the right time id be reasonably confident

But of course we arent and although we should thrash essendon we are a possibility to get spanked.

Who turns up out of these two bipoar teams is anyones guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back