Autopsy Liked, Learned, Hated Round 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Dissect the round.

Liked - Hawks winning back to back games for the first time this year and Birch playing his first game of senior footy in two years.

Learned - Lions are legit

Hated - Injuries, happens every week but the closer to finals you get the worse it can be for them

Round 17​
Date​
Home v Away Teams​
Venue​
Crowd​
Result​
Disposals​
Goals​
Fri 12 Jul 6:10pm​
West Coast v Collingwood​
Optus Stadium​
56251​
77-78​
A. Treloar 39​
B. Mihocek 4​
J. Cameron 4​
Sat 13 Jul 1:45pm​
Sydney v Carlton​
SCG​
32570​
62-69​
J. Lloyd 34​
L. Casboult 2​
Sat 13 Jul 2:10pm​
Hawthorn v Fremantle​
UTAS Stadium​
13006​
84-53​
B. Hill 37​
N. Fyfe 3​
L. Breust 3​
M. Lewis 3​
Sat 13 Jul 4:35pm​
Essendon v North Melbourne​
Marvel Stadium​
45682​
86-81​
Z. Merrett 34​
B. Brown 6​
Sat 13 Jul 7:25pm​
Gold Coast v Adelaide​
Metricon Stadium​
8741​
56-151​
M. Crouch 36​
E. Betts 6​
Sat 13 Jul 7:25pm​
Geelong v St Kilda​
GMHBA Stadium​
24035​
84-57​
M. Duncan 33​
J. Bruce 3​
Sun 14 Jul 1:10pm​
Richmond v GWS​
MCG​
38986​
94-67​
T. Taranto 36​
Sun 14 Jul 3:20pm​
Western Bulldogs v Melbourne​
Marvel Stadium​
26781​
74-66​
J. Dunkley 39​
H. Petty 3​
Sun 14 Jul 4:10pm​
Port Adelaide v Brisbane​
Adelaide Oval​
49-97​
J. Lyons 36​
C. Cameron 4​

Autopsies:

West Coast v Collingwood: Pies win in a thriller!

Sydney v Carlton: Blues win away!

Hawthorn v Freemantle: Win for the Hawks!

Essendon v North Melbourne: Walla wins it!

Gold Coast v Adelaide: Crows win big!

Geelong v St Kilda - Cats get the Cream!

Richmond v GWS: Tigers Rising

Western Bulldogs v Melbourne: Dogs still in the hunt.

Port Adelaide v Brisbane: Lions Roar into Top 4

Around the sports:

* Wimbledon Mens Final - Golden Point

* Cricket World Cup Final - Golden Over, then a count back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liked: North v Essendon game it was a fantastic game of footy

Learned: Dunkley is closing in on Cripps as the best inside mid in the comp

Hated: The freezing cold tram home from the footy but thank f we won

Liked: Lions overcoming tough odds to win big and first win in SA since 2012

Learned: This is the best Lions side in 15 years, since 2004. It's been a journey but boy is winning great when you've been down the bottom for so long!

Hated: Injuries

Liked:
Winning. And north losing. :)
Tippa.
Lions winning. my top 6 prediction is looking like a bit of an insult. top 4 looking likely
Dunkley. Bossing the inside game.

Learned
Port are the Hold my Beer team of the inconsistent team comp.
Dogs are building something that will be very impressive in a couple of years.

Hated:
Hurley's injury. We are losing critical players at the worst time of year. Rucks are thin. Tall timber are thin. Raz, Hooker and Heppell are going to limp to the end of the season.
Burton's hamstring. Watched it happen and felt for the kid. He didnt give up in a futile chase of Cameron. Hopefully not too bad.

Liked: Some of the teams written off at the start of the year (Dogs, Bombers, North) are really pushing. Keeps the season interesting
Learned: A bit of push and shove after a goal is worth a second goal :(
Hated: Injuries to any player

Liked: Two close games on both Fri and Sat night, between WCE vs COL and ESS vs NTH
Learned: Lions are the real deal and North have improved significantly in a short period of time
Hated: Injuries (Especially felt for Coniglio going down so early in the 1st qtr).

Liked: Some of the teams written off at the start of the year (Dogs, Bombers, North) are really pushing. Keeps the season interesting
Learned: A bit of push and shove after a goal is worth a second goal :(
Hated: Injuries to any player
that was a joke and took the contest away in the end
Imagine if it was the other way around - the noise would be intense around it.

Liked:
close games and the dogs and tiges coming good.
Rowan Marshall a highlight for the Saints.

Learnt:
no amount of bonus draft picks matter when there is no heart and pride.
The Swans need to change their game style.

Hated:
When the whistle goes and I have no idea why and the players look around, as they have no idea either.
Port bringing in Cam Sutcliffe to try to be an enforcer. He’s a mate of Lachie’s and looks like he’ll wear some grief for doing what he was brought into the side for. Hope he gets another go, to play normally.

Liked: Grant Birchall return.
- 21 touches @ 81% DE
- 8 marks
- 7 intercept possessions
- all while only playing 2/3 of game time.
He hasn’t lost his touch.

Learnt: Port is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.

Hated: Pies, Dons, Cats & Crows all getting up. Also injuries to people like Coniglio, Burton and Hurley which may cause them to miss or effect their performer in finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: the rise of the Lions. Playing exciting footy and might do some damage.

Learnt: Lions are the real deal. Can never write off the Pies. Port even worse than I thought.

Hated: the obvious, us blowing a chance to secure 2nd after being in a seemingly winning position.

Liked:
Competition for a spot in the 8 is real and fierce.

Learnt:
The mighty lions deserve consideration for the flag this year

Hated:
Gold Coast’s poor form after a promising start to the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liked - Tippa and Stringers highlight reel

Learned - Brisbane's early season form was for real

Hated - Pies, I thought they were dying

Learned:
Anti-dew is slippery. Who knew? Hocking should have. That's his job isn't it? Operations manager? Do the basics well Steve, and worry less about the rule book.

Learned:
You don't take players with a history of soft tissue injuries to stadiums with crap surfaces. Reid a couple of weeks ago at Marvel, and now Moore at Optus.

Learned:
Geelong hit the wall mid season, and have done nothing since the bye. No wonder their coach was concerned that they'd be 0-5 after 5 rounds. It looks like his scepticism was warranted. They were ripe for the picking this weekend. Shame on the Saints. Sorry Richo. Don't be blaming the umps. Blame your crappy forward line.

Learned:
That Derbys & Showdowns or whatever you like to call them, must be exhausting. Winners of both those games were beaten the following week. Not very professional. Port & WC should have been a little less pleased with themselves and refocus. Blockbuster fatigue is real.

Learned:
I learned how to identify a footy fan who has never played competitive sport in their life. They're the ones who complain that players aren't immediately at their best after a long lay-off (Cox, Elliot etc). I hate those people. Some of them are journalists. Speaking of journalists, stop creeping around airports. It's pathetic. Might be time to strike up a new award. Call it the 'CAJ' (Creepiest Airport Journalist). This week it goes to Mark Stevens. Congratulations Stevo. I could have waited until the team lists came in to find out which Pies were heading to Perth. Honestly I can wait til then. There's no need to creep around terminals. And here's another new award. This one's called the 'IJASFMWWBBDSOTJ' (I'm Just A Stupid ******* Moron Who Would Be Better Doing Something Other Than Journalism) award. This week it goes to.... drum role please............ Damian Barrett! Congratulations Damian! Damo wins this week's IJASFMWWBBDSOTJ for his outstanding reporting of Jordan De Goey's texting while driving. Damo can share the award with the pig who shared the information with him. 'Pig' is too strong a word. I respect the police, especially the ones who respect confidentiality. The other's are just lazing around in their sty, enjoying the mud and eating out of a trough. Like I said, I respect the police. Except the ones who snort when they talk. I can't understand a single word. Snort snort snort. Honestly, improve your elocution. But for the most part, the police are working in our best interests and deserve our full support. Except for the ones who have Damien Barrett on their speed dial. Those ones are hoofed and pinkish in colour. But apart from those, the police are pillars of our community and are grossly underpaid. But again, if they get on their phone and call Damo, you know they've spent the day rolling around in mud and eating their own faeces.

Learned:
That if Chrisso ain't gonna do his job properly, once again, it's up to us to maintain law & order on the footy field. I'm not into booing, but if 1990 premiership hero Michael Christian ain't gonna stamp out violence, like I said, it's our responsibility. Brisbane fans, in the name of fair play, and to send a message to AFL house, give Cunnington your best this weekend. Richmond fans likewise to Hartlett, and Swans fans, don't forget Nat 'I don't deliberately strike I'm just clumsy' Fyfe.

Learned:
That Cox hasn't and never will have a problem with confidence. Journos who suggested last week that he had a lack of it forgot who he is. And they forgot what he is. He's an American. An American with a 'whatever it takes' attitude. If you think Mr. Hird pushed the envelope, you ain't seen nothin' yet. This guy'll pump sarin gas into the opposition change rooms, and then blame the MCC for it. He'll send anthrax to the homes of all the other club captains, and blame Todd Greenberg. He'll have McLaughlan's home ransacked, and blame David Gallop. He'll shoot a missile into AFL house, and pretend a plane hit it. Big Coxy's nickname should be 'weapon of mass destruction.'

Learned:
That I didn't like or hate anything. Yes I did. I liked WHE's effort in the last quarter on the kid Allen. Crucial.

r1217160_15911861.jpg

Liked: Brisbane's win

Learnt: VFL and AFL double headers on Sunday rock (If you win both games :$)

Hated: Port Adelaide's faux tough guy treatment of Lachie Neale (Nice one Kenny :poo:)

Liked - Lions winning away from home twice in a row and jeremy cameron

Learnt - The tigers are back and can push for top four, lions can possibly make top 2 if they win all their games

Hated - Port fans booing umpires when flogging lions in free kicks, darcy moore's injury and gold coast being flogged twice in a row

Learned:
Anti-dew is slippery. Who knew? Hocking should have. That's his job isn't it? Operations manager? Do the basics well Steve, and worry less about the rule book.

Learned:
You don't take players with a history of soft tissue injuries to stadiums with crap surfaces. Reid a couple of weeks ago at Marvel, and now Moore at Optus.

Learned:
Geelong hit the wall mid season, and have done nothing since the bye. No wonder their coach was concerned that they'd be 0-5 after 5 rounds. It looks like his scepticism was warranted. They were ripe for the picking this weekend. Shame on the Saints. Sorry Richo. Don't be blaming the umps. Blame your crappy forward line.

Learned:
That Derbys & Showdowns or whatever you like to call them, must be exhausting. Winners of both those games were beaten the following week. Not very professional. Port & WC should have been a little less pleased with themselves and refocus. Blockbuster fatigue is real.

Learned:
I learned how to identify a footy fan who has never played competitive sport in their life. They're the ones who complain that players aren't immediately at their best after a long lay-off (Cox, Elliot etc). I hate those people. Some of them are journalists. Speaking of journalists, stop creeping around airports. It's pathetic. Might be time to strike up a new award. Call it the 'CAJ' (Creepiest Airport Journalist). This week it goes to Mark Stevens. Congratulations Stevo. I could have waited until the team lists came in to find out which Pies were heading to Perth. Honestly I can wait til then. There's no need to creep around terminals. And here's another new award. This one's called the 'IJASFMWWBBDSOTJ' (I'm Just A Stupid ******* Moron Who Would Be Better Doing Something Other Than Journalism) award. This week it goes to.... drum role please............ Damian Barrett! Congratulations Damian! Damo wins this week's IJASFMWWBBDSOTJ for his outstanding reporting of Jordan De Goey's texting while driving. Damo can share the award with the pig who shared the information with him. 'Pig' is too strong a word. I respect the police, especially the ones who respect confidentiality. The other's are just lazing around in their sty, enjoying the mud and eating out of a trough. Like I said, I respect the police. Except the ones who snort when they talk. I can't understand a single word. Snort snort snort. Honestly, improve your elocution. But for the most part, the police are working in our best interests and deserve our full support. Except for the ones who have Damien Barrett on their speed dial. Those ones are hoofed and pinkish in colour. But apart from those, the police are pillars of our community and are grossly underpaid. But again, if they get on their phone and call Damo, you know they've spent the day rolling around in mud and eating their own faeces.

Learned:
That if Chrisso ain't gonna do his job properly, once again, it's up to us to maintain law & order on the footy field. I'm not into booing, but if 1990 premiership hero Michael Christian ain't gonna stamp out violence, like I said, it's our responsibility. Brisbane fans, in the name of fair play, and to send a message to AFL house, give Cunnington your best this weekend. Richmond fans likewise to Hartlett, and Swans fans, don't forget Nat 'I don't deliberately strike I'm just clumsy' Fyfe.

Learned:
That Cox hasn't and never will have a problem with confidence. Journos who suggested last week that he had a lack of it forgot who he is. And they forgot what he is. He's an American. An American with a 'whatever it takes' attitude. If you think Mr. Hird pushed the envelope, you ain't seen nothin' yet. This guy'll pump sarin gas into the opposition change rooms, and then blame the MCC for it. He'll send anthrax to the homes of all the other club captains, and blame Todd Greenberg. He'll have McLaughlan's home ransacked, and blame David Gallop. He'll shoot a missile into AFL house, and pretend a plane hit it. Big Coxy's nickname should be 'weapon of mass destruction.'

Learned:
That I didn't like or hate anything. Yes I did. I liked WHE's effort in the last quarter on the kid Allen. Crucial.

View attachment 709794

Would love to see Cunnington try that swinging arm rubbish on Robinson or Hodge

Liked- The Candy Man, Tippenwottabutti.
Learned- The school of 'Dumb as Dog Droppings Umpiring' is still going strong.
Hated- The new stadium in Perth is the latest 'Black Hole' for injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back