Autopsy Liked, Learned, Hated - Round 22

jshster

Rookie
Feb 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let's kick it all off...

Liked - 1v2 & 3v4 living up to the hype. Seriously good to watch the tension in both matches. Pies demolition of the Crows. Actually finished a match off.

Learned - Maybe the Pies aren't completely dead for 2019. Dogs are going to be very very dangerous come finals time. Both Adelaide teams are stuffed. Top 4 are a step above everyone else.

Hated - So many one sided matches in a round where so much was on the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Liked - the top 4 clashes. Carlton continuing to win, ditto the Dogs.

Learnt - Richmond and West Coast are the two best teams in it. I’d have the Eagles a smidgeon ahead at this stage.
The teams from 6-8 in this year’s finals will present as an easy kill.

Hated - Melbourne. I’m not happy with Goodwin and can accept that preseason and injuries have played a role. However, those players gave up on Friday night which is pathetic and disgraceful. It took 5 seasons to painstakingly build a club and culture that fans were not embarrassed about but this pack of bunglers have blown all that to s**t in one year. How many recent premiership teams have come from a core of players who stopped trying in a preceding season? I doubt any. It’s a long way back from here and I have genuine concerns for the future of the club.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Liked: The Brisbane vs Geelong and Richmond vs West Coast games.

Learnt: If the Bulldogs make it, they can take it.

Hated: This time of the year with all the retirements and farewell games.
Hated: The Sydney Stack injury after being sent to the VFL. (One of my favourites this year.)

Last edited:

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
Liked - Bris v Geelong and WC v Rich , both close intense games of football
Learned - West Coast are IMO are 4th in line for the flag based on the fact they have lost to Brisbane, Geelong and now Richmond
Hated - WC inability to turn the screws and put a team away, should have done over Richmond on the weekend ( and Collingwood at Optus )

Liked - Top 4 teams played like top 4 teams.

Learned - Ben Brown would be a superstar and 'face of the AFL' type player if he played for a 'big' club

Hated - Standard of umpiring continues to be poor across the league and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Liked - Lions v Cats and Rich v WCE. Classic contests.

Learned - Wouldnt wanna face the Bulldogs at rhe moment. Barking and biting.

Hated - the continued ineptness of field and boundary umpires. Lets go back to basics.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Liked: Top 4 clashes. 1st ever MCC experience with the Tiges v Eagles game.
Brissie top of the ladder.
Ben Brown with a Lloyd-esque performance.
Roughie send off. Deserved accolades for a champion of the game.
A win.

Learned: Dogs are getting a dream run into the finals. 3/5 of the flakiest teams in the AFL. Not to take away from their form or performances, but they should approach finals with 3 big wins, a wet sail and a strong wind. Should demolish whoever they play week 2.

Cats are in for another straight sets exit unless Scott can find another game plan to combat teams wanting it more.

Hated: Another injury. Zaka isn't the most critical player, but he is 200 games of experience and a strong running rotation out of our midfield right before finals :(

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked: two showcase games lived up to the hype. Lions getting up, Bulldogs.

Learnt: we can beat the Tigers at the G, could well have won if everything didn't go against us. Dogs not just making up the numbers, Pies back in town, South Australian teams even worse than I thought.

Hated: obviously our close loss, but would take this over a smashing. I guess Collingwood winning makes it still possible for us to fall out of the top 4.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked - the top 4 clashes. Carlton continuing to win, ditto the Dogs.

Learnt - Richmond and West Coast are the two best teams in it. I’d have the Eagles a smidgeon ahead at this stage.
The teams from 6-8 in this year’s finals will present as an easy kill.

Hated - Melbourne. I’m not happy with Goodwin and can accept that preseason and injuries have played a role. However, those players gave up on Friday night which is pathetic and disgraceful. It took 5 seasons to painstakingly build a club and culture that fans were not embarrassed about but this pack of bunglers have blown all that to s**t in one year. How many recent premiership teams have come from a core of players who stopped trying in a preceding season? I doubt any. It’s a long way back from here and I have genuine concerns for the future of the club.
I reckon the Tigers are ahead they dominated the second and third quarter. How we managed to stay a float is the defence worked their socks off. Will need to change up our tactics on Grimes (man him up) and better work around the ball

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
ColoradoAvalancheLiverpoolFCGrenobl
Liked: The 2 matches between the top 4. Roughies send off and 6 goals, thanks for the memories.

Learnt: Brisbane are the real deal. Gold Coast are worse than I thought - Roughie would felt more defensive pressure lining up against a Ammos side.

Hated: GWS, one job - beat the Doggies and make our highly unlikely top 8 finish a little bit more likely

Dee Train

Celebrating superiority since 2021
Aug 17, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Loved the Tigers and Eagles game. Loved the Cats getting done in a close one.

Learnt the Chris Scott is a salty flog.

Hated (but not surprised) Melbourne’s pathetic showing. What a weak club....

Pomsta

All Australian
Jun 10, 2010
Stuck at Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolves, 49ers
Liked: a close win in a damn good game. Also Grimes coming back on.

Learned: That Eagles supporters travel well. There would have been 10,000 at the G, very vocal, but you could have a good conversation with them about football. Made the atmosphere fabulous.

Hated: if you have a set shot from 20m out directly in front, in the wet, then kick a drop punt FFS Castagna. You're supposed to be a professional.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Liked: The AFL finally acted quickly on a wrong decision.

Learned: I think the Cats are back, while the media fall over themselves about the Tigers and Eagles, the Cats can go into finals without tthe pressure of being the top team even if they finish on top! Cornes and Lloyd are both having a tug over the Tigers while Caro fantasizes over Dusty....Cats will play off!

Hated: Losing by a point, but the reality was... the Cats were the better team for 98% of the match!

View from the nosebleed

A place to discuss all things sport.
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Liked:
Roughies send off, great atmosphere
Big games justifying their billing. Cats/lions and tigers/eagles both cracking games
Carlton. Just a great turn around
Ben brown with 10. Love seeing a forward kick a big bag

Learnt:
AFL still make rule changes on the fly
South Australian footy is in a world of hurt, and likely to see two new coaches there next year
Dogs are flying and danger to teams in finals
Melbourne are a complete rabble

Hated:
Not much

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Liked:
Roughies send off, great atmosphere
Big games justifying their billing. Cats/lions and tigers/eagles both cracking games
Carlton. Just a great turn around
Ben brown with 10. Love seeing a forward kick a big bag

Learnt:
AFL still make rule changes on the fly
South Australian footy is in a world of hurt, and likely to see two new coaches there next year
Dogs are flying and danger to teams in finals
Melbourne are a complete rabble

Hated:
Not much
ridiculous
it was an overreaction to begin with
then they had the chance with Howe to correct it
Jack's 1st one was textbook studs up. He cracks the sads, and the AFL change it.

classic AFL.
Greene's 1st on on Dalhaus (i think) was high. call it a high fend off.
The one v the swans was a push in the back. call it as such.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon the Tigers are ahead they dominated the second and third quarter. How we managed to stay a float is the defence worked their socks off. Will need to change up our tactics on Grimes (man him up) and better work around the ball
It’s definitely marginal but I just feel a couple of things such as Darling copping a cork, Hutchings being out of the game and the rain coming down fell their way. The Tigers probably were the better team for 3 quarters but the difference was only 6 points, I just feel the Eagles have a bit more scope for improvement.

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
Keep in mind though that West Coast played all of them away
Yes they did, however after that 1st qtr we "should" have been able to hold on and stem the flow. Hutch went out and we could not recover, Grimes shut down Darling so he missing after the 1st ( testament to how good Grimes is), and JK (though is always a threat) was not allowed into the game. I don't think it is a poor game plan, more that the Tigers were just better over the 4qtrs

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s definitely marginal but I just feel a couple of things such as Darling copping a cork, Hutchings being out of the game and the rain coming down fell their way. The Tigers probably were the better team for 3 quarters but the difference was only 6 points, I just feel the Eagles have a bit more scope for improvement.
I reckon we won the first, they won 2 and 3rd and the 4th was a draw. So result about right. Yes def marginal. We will learn from this

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
ridiculous
it was an overreaction to begin with
then they had the chance with Howe to correct it
Jack's 1st one was textbook studs up. He cracks the sads, and the AFL change it.

classic AFL.
Greene's 1st on on Dalhaus (i think) was high. call it a high fend off.
The one v the swans was a push in the back. call it as such.
It was from a handball receive though not a mark so it was looked at worse.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked: Some cracking contests, namely Tigers Eagles, Lions Cats, Blues Saints (in that order).

Learned: Both Tigers and Eagles have some serious ticker. The tigers for being able to fight their way back into the match and the eagles for fighting back both times in the last. Would love to see these 2 teams in a GF with NicNat and Cotch/Nank all playing.

Pies hanging around. Slipping under the radar, looks like they're getting their gamestyle back. Don't think they deserve to be top 4 over us but could definitely do some damage (along with the Dogs) come finals.

Hated: Studs up and anyone saying that the ruling live was correct. Seriously, if you put a player from your own team instead of Riewoldt, you'd also be losing your s**t that both frees were paid against him. There's one thing about taking dangerous actions out of the game like bumps to the head off the ball, but this is entirely different.

Back