Liked, Learnt and Hated, Round 16

Let rip!

2019-round-16-afl-results.png

Round 17 Previews

WCE v COL -
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...gwood-fri-6-10-awst-os-rd-17-preview.1222886/
SYD v CAR - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sydney-v-carlton-sat-1-45-scg-rd-17-preview.1222889/
HAW v FRE - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/hawthorn-v-fremantle-sat-2-10-utas-rd-17-preview.1222890/
ESS v NM - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...bourne-sat-4-35-marvel-rd-17-preview.1222891/
GCS v ADE - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...rows-sat-7-25-metricon-rd-17-preview.1222892/
GEE v StK - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/geelong-v-st-kilda-sat-7-25-gmhba-rd-17-preview.1222893/
RIC v GWS - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/richmond-v-gws-giants-sun-1-10-mcg-rd-17-preview.1222894/
WB v MEL - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...bourne-sun-3-20-marvel-rd-17-preview.1222895/
PA v BL - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...bane-lions-sun-4-10-ao-rd-17-preview.1222896/

Tip Round 17

Watch Footy Replays

Round 17 Tips and Crowd Expectations thread

Last edited:

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Liked: So many contenders losing. Geelong losing to the Dogs. Pies losing to the Hawks. GWS losing to the Lions.

Learnt: WC can go back 2 back. The best we have played in 2 years on the weekend. Was the perfect performance.

Hated: Melbourne getting over the Blues in the final minute. Would have been great to see back 2 back victories for the Blues.

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yankees, N'Orleans Saints, Arsenal
Liked: So many contenders losing. Geelong losing to the Dogs. Pies losing to the Hawks. GWS losing to the Lions.

Learnt: WC can go back 2 back. The best we have played in 2 years on the weekend. Was the perfect performance.

Hated: Melbourne getting over the Blues in the final minute. Would have been great to see back 2 back victories for the Blues.
Exactly this.

+1.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Liked: WC dominating Freo. Although from midway through the third I think Freo probably sat back and spectated a little. Geelong - back to earth with a thud.

Learnt: Looking at Geelongs upcoming games brought home to me just how soft their draw is this year.

Hated: The dogs not rubbing it in just a little more.

Last edited:

Royce Hafey

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2013
Point Cook
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked: For the Tigers - do I even need to say? 101 points in a half of footy! Otherwise, Geelong stumbling and Collingwood continuing their slump.
Learned: It's West Coast's flag to lose. With Nic Nat back they look super scary.
Hated: Hard to think of anything much, apart from managing somehow to lose the third quarter against GC.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked: Teams like Carlton and Brisbane are being competitive again. Good for the game and good to start seeing some reward for effort.
Learnt: Freo are officially butter-soft and opposition teams would be licking their lips at the thought of playing them. As demonstrated by the Demons, Blues and now West Coast, if even a hint of pressure is applied the team falls to bits. F*cken joke of a club. Guaranteed easybeats. The Suns have a brighter future than this rabble.
Hated: Adelaide's capitulation in the Showdown. Hard to believe they were Grand Finalists a couple of years ago. Need to regroup as a club.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked: a lot. Probably the best round for us results wise and for me, pretty chuffed. Three of our competitors lost: Collingwood, Geelong, GWS. We were back to our brutal best and smashed the purple. Good to see North doing well, Brisbane too.

Hated: not much. Put money on Carlton and Brisbane so would've liked to have seen the Blues storm home but oh well.

Learnt: Collingwood in a real flat patch. Clarko still the ultimate tactician. We are really hot and apparently the flag fave according to some. Geelong have weaknesses. Reconfirmed my opinion on GWS being ordinary. Roos will probably play finals (Rhyce Shaw no fluke) and Bulldogs still in the hunt.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Loved- Lions 94 v Giants 74.

Learnt- The Eagles are clear premiership favorites, they'll finish top 2 and get 2 home finals, so lock them in for a GF appearance. Huge chance of back to back.

Hated/Disappointing- The Dockers and Crows capitulations.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Liked: The Dees hanging on for the win & the heat being turned up on Don "cant coach" Pyke.
Learnt: West Coast have 1 foot in the door of the GF and are now clear cut favs
Hated: The spineless & Gutless effort by the Crows

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Liked - Brisbane. How can you not? A remarkable turn around under Fagan. They’ve got this one right. I don’t think there will be a fairytale ending, but I think this team is on track to a potential flag under Fagan.

The Bulldogs. Great win. Played like a top 8 side against Geelong. A big chance of playing finals and maybe causing an upset or two. Rate that they are about.

Learnt - Geelong & Collingwood have issues. If Geelong don’t sort some things out and bow out of the finals in a disappointing way, you’d question the list and the coach. The Cats need to make a GF at a minimum I reckon as they’ve been underwhelming since 2013 after lots of top 4 finishes. Chris Scott will be working overtime to get this right.

Pies face a third straight loss this weekend and could miss top 4.

Giants aren’t arriving when the heat is on.

Hated - Melbourne. Yeah we won but hey, we let Carlton slide in front momentarily after being 30 up at 3/4 time. If that was any other side they’d have won by 25. We are a genuine bottom 4 outfit. The fact Goodwin is signed until 2021 or 2022 worries me. Some serious changes are needed in game plan and personnel if we are to be anything like 2018. The fact our strength and conditioning head is leaving is great.

Richmond are on the rise. Timing things nicely. Will be a top 4 finisher at seasons end, just not sure how far they’ll go though. PF at a minimum for me.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked: Brisbane playing excellent footy and great to watch. The Bulldogs excellent effort against the pies.
Learnt - WCE are playing well but let us stop this non sense of back to back. We have been badly beaten this year in 4 games albeit at Kardinya Park and SCG two grounds where we struggle to win. Also got touched up by Port and the Lions. So lets just cool the jets.
Hated: The style of footy is some games is god awful, basic skill errors and basic error kicking for goal.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Liked: Brisbane playing excellent footy and great to watch. The Bulldogs excellent effort against the pies.
Learnt - WCE are playing well but let us stop this non sense of back to back. We have been badly beaten this year in 4 games albeit at Kardinya Park and SCG two grounds where we struggle to win. Also got touched up by Port and the Lions. So lets just cool the jets.
Hated: The style of footy is some games is god awful, basic skill errors and basic error kicking for goal.
Your losses aren’t going to impact you mate. You’re a very very good side.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Your losses aren’t going to impact you mate. You’re a very very good side.
Yeah i am very conservative mate, the first 3 losses Brisbane, Port and Geelong was in the first 6 weeks. To be fair we had 14 players off for surgery during the pre-season so there was delayed starts. Is prob me being pedantic, but I remember what happened to Richmond last year.

What has happened to the Dees, I expected you guys to be top 4 with your list? You reckon Goodwin is facing the heat?

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked: The Dees hanging on for the win & the heat being turned up on Don "cant coach" Pyke.
Learnt: West Coast have 1 foot in the door of the GF and are now clear cut favs
Hated: The spineless & Gutless effort by the Crows
I watched that game I feel for Eddie Betts you can he is slowing down a bit. Tex Walker should not be a captain

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
I watched that game I feel for Eddie Betts you can he is slowing down a bit. Tex Walker should not be a captain
Betts still has a few moments left but he should really consider pulling the pin at the end of the season

Liked: Bulldogs beating the top of the ladder side

Learned: This might be the most even year in recent history

Hated: Freo's result. I know a lot of Dockers fans in Melbourne and they're hurting.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah i am very conservative mate, the first 3 losses Brisbane, Port and Geelong was in the first 6 weeks. To be fair we had 14 players off for surgery during the pre-season so there was delayed starts. Is prob me being pedantic, but I remember what happened to Richmond last year.

What has happened to the Dees, I expected you guys to be top 4 with your list? You reckon Goodwin is facing the heat?
We have a horribly unbalanced list, our game plan is one dimensional, our pace is non existent which impacts our transition, we have C grade skill levels, we make ridiculous errors, we don’t work hard enough. If we’d lost to Carlton Goodwin would’ve been roasted this week by the media. Goodwin is contracted until 2022 I believe, which is a big issue. The assistants and Simon need to come up with something big in the off season.

Supporters are flat out sick of this and yet again, disgruntled.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked: A 91 point win, in a Derby, without JK. Also holding them to 2 goals, facilitating the timeless trivia question -
Q. Who kicked 2 Goals in Western Derby 50?
A. Fremantle

Learnt: Nic Nat brings something else to the table. When the Eagles are on they are right up there with the best.

Hated: Not much. My crippling doubts about B2B?

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Liked: the continued, emerging evenness of the year. great year- about 10 in it!
Learnt: brissy are better than I realised, or gws are worse? Or both.
Hated: nothing much

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Liked: WC dominating Freo. Although from midway through the third I think Freo probably sat back and spectated a little. Geelong - back to earth with a thud.

Learnt: Looking at Geelongs upcoming games brought home to me just how soft their draw is this year.

Hated: The dogs not rubbing it in just a little more.
Did you look at their first six games of the year? Most scribes before the season had them 2 - 4 or 1- 5 after 6 rounds...

Back