Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
the two most even years in decades and you 'think' the comp is weak
lol
you need to look up what 'think' means and try it sometime
It is a pretty weak Top 8

Richmond are the only good side

West Coast, GWS, Collingwood, Melbourne, Port and Geelong are okay. Nuthin special.

The Hawks are s**t and yet we’re level with Melbourne and Geelong after Round 19 and still a chance to finish 4th. I can’t believe it... Weak season... Close & interesting, but lacking a true heavyweight division. Just a bunch of middleweights

I can’t remember another season with only one premiership contender

Even when Essendon dominated the comp in 2000, Carlton were a bloody good side.

Geelong in 2007 maybe? That was similar to this season. One team which was clearly the best and then a bunch of pretenders scrabbling for the top four (Port, NM, WCE, Haw, Coll)

Last edited:

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Tell that to all the clowns who have whining about the AFL not giving Tassie a stand alone team

Why are isnt Richmond v Geelong being played in lorne this week

Or sale

I’m sorry but the pathetic treatment of interstate teams bynthe AFL in regards to fixturing is a joke .....

The los Angela’s Lakers our golden state warriors are not sent to Hicksville stadiums to play in front of 5000 people

This league is a billion dollar industry yet we insist in playing games at crap venues with zero atmpsiphere .....

Yet the mcg was free on Sunday...two interstate teams could have played there

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Why are isnt Richmond v Geelong being played in lorne this week

Or sale

I’m sorry but the pathetic treatment of interstate teams bynthe AFL in regards to fixturing is a joke .....

The los Angela’s Lakers our golden state warriors are not sent to Hicksville stadiums to play in front of 5000 people

This league is a billion dollar industry yet we insist in playing games at crap venues with zero atmpsiphere .....

Yet the mcg was free on Sunday...two interstate teams could have played there
We've played North down in Hobart. Maybe you need to actually do some proper research before you blurt out crap.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Once you have

As soon as you started winning ....it’s mcg all the way

Funny that
We played them in 2016. The fixture came out in late 2015. We had just played 3 finals series in a row and were expected to improve. So we were winning when we were fixtured to go there.

So you're full of it.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
We played them in 2016. The fixture came out in late 2015. We had just played 3 finals series in a row and were expected to improve. So we were winning when we were fixtured to go there.

So you're full of it.

Whatever

The tasdir Ballarat games are embarrassing to multi million dollar industry’s in my view

You would not see an nba or NFL TEAM sent to small stadium to play

Liverpool would not be sent to conrwall to play ......

Sorry our league is not as professional as other world sports.....yet it should be

The mcg was available to two interstate teams on Sunday ..

Yet neither gets a look at it

I’m done on this ....agree to disagree......I don’t care if I’m wrong or right.

Whatever

The tasdir Ballarat games are embarrassing to multi million dollar industry’s in my view

Sorry our league is not as professional as other world sports.....yet it should be

I'm genuinely embarrassed for the other wce supporters being tarnished by your posting. Talk about sour grapes over a loss

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
You beat 14th place. Will help heaps come finals time.

If you dont beat the low teams your chances of finals are much lower.
If you hadnt lost to Brisbane twice you'd be a lock.

So really yes beating 14th does help them come finals. They might be top 4 with a double chance and home final and you might not be there at all.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Whatever

The NBA play regular season games in many places like Hawaii, Mexico, England and various other stadiums around the country that arent the prime venue for the games.

Actually Liverpool would if they drew htem in the FA cup or something.

You're literally wrong with every single thing you've said.

Big competitions get big by spreading their wings, not by playing in the same stadium with the same guernsey.
The reason the league is now worth millions is because it can get to these places via TV. One step further from that is getting to these places in person. How better to get a kid liking afl than run a clinic with REAL AFL players. Dont feel like you're out of hte loop not being in a city or a place where a team resides.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blueyboy74

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
It is a pretty weak Top 8

Richmond are the only good side

West Coast, GWS, Collingwood, Melbourne, Port and Geelong are okay. Nuthin special.

The Hawks are s**t and yet we’re level with Melbourne and Geelong after Round 19 and still a chance to finish 4th. I can’t believe it... Weak season... Close & interesting, but lacking a true heavyweight division. Just a bunch of middleweights

I can’t remember another season with only one premiership contender

Even when Essendon dominated the comp in 2000, Carlton were a bloody good side.

Geelong in 2007 maybe? That was similar to this season. One team which was clearly the best and then a bunch of pretenders scrabbling for the top four (Port, NM, WCE, Haw, Coll)

Good observation and reckon 2007 and 2000 were the only real other standouts but then again, Richmond 2018 aren't Geelong 2007 or Essendon 2000. The ladder can be a little misleading too as some of the top teams from 2011 - 2016 may have appeared stronger just by having a guaranteed win and percentage boost against initially the GWS and GCS and then other teams in the rebuilding phase who's timeframe was prolonged due to these clubs. Last year seemed to have been a turning point as to the overall evenness of the competition:

Bottom 4 Clubs - Combined Wins and Ave %

2017 - 23 79%
2016 - 16 69%
2015 - 18 70%
2014 - 21 69%
2013 - 16 68%
2012 - 14 60%
2011 - 17 70%

numbat06

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
the two most even years in decades and you 'think' the comp is weak
lol
you need to look up what 'think' means and try it sometime
Maybe you should try thinking before posting. What does the comp being even have anything to do with the quality of the top 8 sides. Since Gold coast and GWS the talent has been spread across 2 more teams and has noticeably spread the talent thin.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
Maybe you should try thinking before posting. What does the comp being even have anything to do with the quality of the top 8 sides. Since Gold coast and GWS the talent has been spread across 2 more teams and has noticeably spread the talent thin.

Participation rates have increased a lot in the last seven years, as has the population

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
You say that like it's true, well done. Bluff is a good strategy when you've got nothing of substance.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
So adding teams doesn't spread the talent thinner?
You think that if we went to a 30 team competition the quality would remain the same?
It's not a zero sum game as you assume, simplisticly.
If you said taking the cream of the talent from the draft for a few years hurt clubs trying to rebuild, I'd agree.
Growing the game in new areas will obviously increase the talent pool. 9ur academy has already assisted 16 players to an AFL debut, 11 for us and 5 for other clubs, and it's early days.
We could have strengthened the talent available by removing most of the Victorian clubs, which makes as much sense as suggesting a 30 team competition.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
So adding teams doesn't spread the talent thinner?
You think that if we went to a 30 team competition the quality would remain the same?

It doesn't when participation and population are up.
That's his point.

Also kids are getting the tool-set and advice earlier on these days.
One could argue there has been no change overall to the 'spread of talent'

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
It's not a zero sum game as you assume, simplisticly.
If you said taking the cream of the talent from the draft for a few years hurt clubs trying to rebuild, I'd agree.
Growing the game in new areas will obviously increase the talent pool. 9ur academy has already assisted 16 players to an AFL debut, 11 for us and 5 for other clubs, and it's early days.
We could have strengthened the talent available by removing most of the Victorian clubs, which makes as much sense as suggesting a 30 team competition.
Hi Vlad.

Firstly, I didn't suggest a 30 team competition. Secondly, removing existing clubs in football areas would not strengthen anything. Thirdly, you mentioned 15 debuts. That doesn't go close to the number of players that have been on the list of the 2 new franchises. Where have all the others come from?

Now I'm not suggesting expansion is bad. I haven't mentioned the value of these new teams existence at all, so don't feel the need to defend them. I'm purely saying that so far, adding 2 new brands has definitely spread the available talent thinner than it otherwise wouldve been.

To deny that is absurd.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Hi Vlad.

Firstly, I didn't suggest a 30 team competition. Secondly, removing existing clubs in football areas would not strengthen anything. Thirdly, you mentioned 15 debuts. That doesn't go close to the number of players that have been on the list of the 2 new franchises. Where have all the others come from?

Now I'm not suggesting expansion is bad. I haven't mentioned the value of these new teams existence at all, so don't feel the need to defend them. I'm purely saying that so far, adding 2 new brands has definitely spread the available talent thinner than it otherwise wouldve been.

To deny that is absurd.
It is to you, we can agree on that

Back