Autopsy Liked, Learnt, Hated - Rd 4 2019 - Share your thoughts.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

quality

Liked: (mostly) 4 quarters of effort from the Dons. the run and pressure. Good day at the G. Time to move back Essendon.
2:10 Saturday time slot. Happy to occupy that one more regularly.
Dees got a win. Hopefully kickstarts their season (now we've beaten them :p)

Learnt: GWS are the real deal. Ward down. Beat geelong at GMHBA. this are the signs of a team that can win a flag.
This isnt meant as an insult, but if there is a team that has mastered the choke...Port are it. Tigers down their big 4. On the road. Season starting brightly for Port. And they drop their bundle. Gotta be top 4 for the most frustrating side in the comp.

AFL looking to break their own amateur hour records in 2019. QLD footy on the up. AFLW on the up. Allows the lions AFLW to be ripped apart for the new GCS franchise.
baffled.

Hated: 2 tips. FML. changed a friday night Dees by 23 tip to swans by 40 too :(
Ward ACL. GWS may lift the cup this year. If he's not there to lift it it's gonna be a sad day.
Sunday. There was more skill in the Box Hill v Sandringham VFL curtain raiser.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked: Saints getting over the Hawks. Starting to show some progress.
Learned: West Coast's structures are so good that they can have a sh*t game vs an opponent playing their hearts out and still snag a win. Scary.
Hated: ACLs again. Starting to become a bit of a theme. Faster pace of the game to blame?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Liked:

The win obviously. People getting a bit carried away though. It was very close. Beating Geelong in Geelong isn't that big a deal, except for nuffies who think we're still the young team that is fragile away this year.

I concede a fair but of schadenfreude after watching Melbourne clubs, Tigers and Pies in particular, thinking the flag was theirs to argue about all off season. With the rubber hitting the road no Melbourne club is in the top 6. The Cats are flying the flag for Victoria. So far the Pies and Tigers dont look like they deserve to be rated contenders.

The QLD sides both at The pointy end of the ladder. The Suns will be long term rivals and I'm just waiting for them to sort things out so I can start to hate them.

Learnt:

Crows fans can melt pretty hard, and the team doesn't look right so far. Early days though.

Hated:

Injuries to all players but Saturday was pretty flat after seeing Ward in tears on the bench.

Last edited:
Liked
GWS' win in G Town. Gutsy stuff.
St Kilda. Not nearly as bad as I thought they would be. Making real progress.
Gold Coast. See above.
Walla - yes he will play some bad games here and there, but his good is really good.
Richmond - self indulgent I know, but I can't think of a better nonfinals win. Kids all stood up. Ross, Bolton, Stack all good. Balta showing signs he can be a player.
Brodie Grundy - best player in the comp in my opinion.
Sam Walsh and Jacob Weitering - guns in the making.
Demons - answered the challenge.
North Melbourne - gutsy win.
Patrick Cripps - will win a brownlow when Carlton start winning games, which will be soon.
Eagles - flag favourites.
Dylan Grimes - more self indulgence, but this bloke is a gun. His kicking in the final term was not great, but his marking was.
David Mundy - age shall not weary him
Tiger woods - just because I can

Learned
AFL's equalisation policy is working. I think it's terrific. There are no easybeats this year. Everyone can go to the footy and realistically expect their team to do well.
I think the Blues are still on the right path despite being 0-4 but they lack leadership. Why wasn't someone in the goal square in the dying seconds?

Hated
Ward's ACL. I have had the pleasure of meeting Cal a few times. You could not meet a nicer bloke. Gutted for him.
Umpiring across the board. it's getting worse.
Ben Brown's staging. I hated when Rance did it, so it's only fair I dislike it when Brown does it. Like Rance, he's too good a player for that.

tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles - MUFC
Liked

-Saints getting over the top of the Hawks.
-Jack Billings is starting to show why the club rates him so highly and took him with pick 3! Averaging 31 possessions a game.
-Tigers win over port was fantastic.

Learnt

-Still some seriously overrated 1 win teams kicking around.
-Lions are still young and they will be inconsistent some weeks (still a bloody exciting team though)
-I hate bashing Umps but they are impacting games more than ever at the moment.

Hated
-Callan Wards ACL

Dee Train

Celebrating superiority since 2021
Aug 17, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Liked Nathan Jones answering the critics in style.

Learnt that it’s better to listen to the footy on the radio - at least you can’t see the God awful, confusing and totally inconsistent shite umpiring.

Hated Ben Brown flopping around like a snake with a broken back.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Liked: GWS v Cats was the best game. Also liking the underdog Gold Coast Suns.

Learnt: The Saints are full of fight and team spirit in 2019.

Hated: Two Sunday games scheduled at the same time. Play the first at 1pm and the second at 3.20 pm.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liked:

The win obviously. People getting a bit carried away though. It was very close. Beating Geelong in Geelong isn't that big a deal, except for nuffies who think we're still the young team that is fragile away this year.

I concede a fair but of schadenfreude after watching Melbourne clubs, Tigers and Pies in particular, thinking the flag was theirs to argue about all off season. With the rubber hitting the road no Melbourne club is in the top 6. The Cats are flying the flag for Victoria. So far the Pies and Tigers dont look like they deserve to be rated contenders.

The QLD sides both at The pointy end of the ladder. The Suns will be long term rivals and I'm just waiting for them to sort things out so I can start to hate them.

Learnt:

Crows fans can melt pretty hard, and the team doesn't look right so far. Early days though.

Hated:

Injuries to all players but Saturday was pretty flat after seeing Ward in tears on the bench.
very few clubs manage this. The stronger Swans team under Longmire from a few years ago played the ground well.
I thought the win was very impressive. Stamped a few more credentials for mine.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
very few clubs manage this. The stronger Swans team under Longmire from a few years ago played the ground well.
I thought the win was very impressive. Stamped a few more credentials for mine.
That's the thing. There's no reason to call the Swans a stronger team than us other than mis-perception. They've never beaten us in a final when the pressure is really on.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
That's the thing. There's no reason to call the Swans a stronger team than us other than mis-perception. They've never beaten us in a final when the pressure is really on.
to be one of the few clubs to beat Geelong at that ground, especially with the form they're in, isn't anything to be sneezed at.
GWS starting to look the real deal this year.

david addison

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lets go straight to the hate...

4th quarter of the WC v Dockers: all players of both teams stopped because they expected holding the ball to be paid. The ump had to yell 'play on'. With that in mind, let me pose this question.... why do the umps adjudicate holding the ball differently to the way everybody else in the known universe want it? Year after year after ******* year. I can only guess that it's the networks telling the AFL 'if the ball spills out in the tackle don't you dare blow the whistle. Continuous play at all costs, even if it means disregarding the rule book.' I've got an idea for a reality show: 'The Bachelor AFL'. Gil can be the bachelor, and we can all tune in to see which of the 'AFL Partners' end up screwing him. And how about this for a sitcom: 'Holding The Ball'. It's a half hour montage of all the various interpretations of holding the ball this year, with a laugh track.

After the first 3 weeks of frivolous bullshit 50 metre penalties, the umps upped the ante this week by not only paying a 50 against Mihocek, but reporting him as well. What'll we see next week. What else could they possibly have in their arsenal? I bet we'll find out.

Double goal to the Tigers. Any other bullshit rules we should know about? Instead of kiss cam, how about the AFL each week put a rule on the scoreboard, and let the crowd vote on it. Instead of a rules committee, let the fans construct the rule book. And by the way, the guy who commentates kiss cam at the MCG, what a doufas this guy is. Does kiss cam even need commentary? I don't know. Maybe it does. I wouldn't mind giving it a go. Tastefully of course. Not like 'shove your tongue down her throat', or anything like that. I wouldn't get two girls to get it on (unless they wanted to). Just tasteful voyeurism. You know what would be better than kiss cam? ISIS cam. Scan the crowd for people who look like jihadists. Or ugly cam. Get the most unattractive people on the big screen. Or loser cam, where people sitting alone end up on camera. I've got heaps of ideas. How about s**tfaced cam, showing people trying to balance their drinks as they manouver their way back to their seat. Or d**khead cam, showing people who stand mindlessly facing the crowd behind them. Or a**hole cam, showing people who toss garbage over the rail onto the people below. And f***head cam, just in case Hocking's around.

Last week Dusty's elbow got half the fine Cox received for his block on Grimes. This week Danger's elbow was deemed low impact. Looks like punches are unfashionable, but elbows? Go for your life. I reckon Dusty & Danger should sink the elbow into Chrisso, just so he knows exactly how to grade it. One to the head and one to the guts. Lets see how he responds. Herald Sun headline: 'Magpies premiership hero in coma after elbow simulation.'

Cornes to Cleary on SEN: 'Did you just make up a word? What is it? Pre-agent?' Cleary to Cornes: 'They've been using that phrase in the States for a while.' And there you have it. Aussie Rules is almost completely americanised. Let's bite the bullet and call it NFL. Gil's over there right now isn't he? I've got some advice for Gil, and it's the same advice coaches give their players - first & foremost, get the basics right. In other words, get your ass back to Australia, and find out why Metro don't put on extra services on game day (two weeks now I've had to let a train go by at Vic Park prior to the game because it was overflowing). Or find out why the pre-game interview with Crosisca was inaudible. Or figure out why holding the ball is still ****ed up. Or repeal the new rules that have done NOTHING to improve the game except we now have some dufous standing on the boundary line holding up placards.

Check this out: At a throw-in during the Pies-Bulldogs game, the umpire told the two ruckmen where to stand. Jesus ******* christ. It's like little league. Here's another farce: After the throw-in, and the ball left the scene, Grundy was lying on the grass face up, with his opponent lying on top of him roughing him up, and instead of protecting himself, he just lay there with arms outstretched in fear that if he retaliated he might give away a free kick. He just lay on the grass letting his opponent rough him up, hoping the umpire would intervene. I don't ever want to see that again. Here's my advice to Brodie: The next time you're getting roughed up, don't just lie there like a ragdoll, kick him in the balls. In fact, let rip with the elbow, because it's only a fine apparently.

Night games. I'm done with them. By the 4th quarter players are slipping over and the ball's a cake of soap. Hey let's have a night grand final - we can have fireworks!

I reached a milestone at the G last weekend. For the 1000th time in my life, I heard Summer Of '69. Thanks to whoever played that. I was wondering how generic and boring the MCG playlist could be. And Come Said The Boy? A bit risque for a family event don't you think? Let's do what we want to do, let me be a man for you. Was that to get us in the mood for kiss cam? Why don't you just play Prince Lady Cab Driver.

Learnt:

Nothing. We're only 4 rounds in.

Liked:

Carlton. My emotions waver between pity and joy as the years go by. Right now I'm in a joyous phase with a touch of intrigue. How can a team be this bad for this long? The last piece of Collingwood's rebuild puzzle was the connection between the mids & forwards, so maybe the Blues are on the verge. Hopefully not.

After his grand final performance, Darth Vadar returned to the G last weekend with his bass guitar (near Jolimont Station), playing along with karaoki recordings of Africa & Champions. Very amusing. I can only assume this was his inspiration:

1555338760295.png

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Lets go straight to the hate...

4th quarter of the WC v Dockers: all players of both teams stopped because they expected holding the ball to be paid. The ump had to yell 'play on'. With that in mind, let me pose this question.... why do the umps adjudicate holding the ball differently to the way everybody else in the known universe want it? Year after year after ******* year. I can only guess that it's the networks telling the AFL 'if the ball spills out in the tackle don't you dare blow the whistle. Continuous play at all costs, even if it means disregarding the rule book.' I've got an idea for a reality show: 'The Bachelor AFL'. Gil can be the bachelor, and we can all tune in to see which of the 'AFL Partners' end up screwing him. And how about this for a sitcom: 'Holding The Ball'. It's a half hour montage of all the various interpretations of holding the ball this year, with a laugh track.

After the first 3 weeks of frivolous bullshit 50 metre penalties, the umps upped the ante this week by not only paying a 50 against Mihocek, but reporting him as well. What'll we see next week. What else could they possibly have in their arsenal? I bet we'll find out.

Double goal to the Tigers. Any other bullshit rules we should know about? Instead of kiss cam, how about the AFL each week put a rule on the scoreboard, and let the crowd vote on it. Instead of a rules committee, let the fans construct the rule book. And by the way, the guy who commentates kiss cam at the MCG, what a doufas this guy is. Does kiss cam even need commentary? I don't know. Maybe it does. I wouldn't mind giving it a go. Tastefully of course. Not like 'shove your tongue down her throat', or anything like that. I wouldn't get two girls to get it on (unless they wanted to). Just tasteful voyeurism. You know what would be better than kiss cam? ISIS cam. Scan the crowd for people who look like jihadists. Or ugly cam. Get the most unattractive people on the big screen. Or loser cam, where people sitting alone end up on camera. I've got heaps of ideas. How about s**tfaced cam, showing people trying to balance their drinks as they manouver their way back to their seat. Or d**khead cam, showing people who stand mindlessly facing the crowd behind them. Or a**hole cam, showing people who toss garbage over the rail onto the people below. And f***head cam, just in case Hocking's around.

Last week Dusty's elbow got half the fine Cox received for his block on Grimes. This week Danger's elbow was deemed low impact. Looks like punches are unfashionable, but elbows? Go for your life. I reckon Dusty & Danger should sink the elbow into Chrisso, just so he knows exactly how to grade it. One to the head and one to the guts. Lets see how he responds. Herald Sun headline: 'Magpies premiership hero in coma after elbow simulation.'

Cornes to Cleary on SEN: 'Did you just make up a word? What is it? Pre-agent?' Cleary to Cornes: 'They've been using that phrase in the States for a while.' And there you have it. Aussie Rules is almost completely americanised. Let's bite the bullet and call it NFL. Gil's over there right now isn't he? I've got some advice for Gil, and it's the same advice coaches give their players - first & foremost, get the basics right. In other words, get your ass back to Australia, and find out why Metro don't put on extra services on game day (two weeks now I've had to let a train go by at Vic Park prior to the game because it was overflowing). Or find out why the pre-game interview with Crosisca was inaudible. Or figure out why holding the ball is still ****** up. Or repeal the new rules that have done NOTHING to improve the game except we now have some dufous standing on the boundary line holding up placards.

Check this out: At a throw-in during the Pies-Bulldogs game, the umpire told the two ruckmen where to stand. Jesus ******* christ. It's like little league. Here's another farce: After the throw-in, and the ball left the scene, Grundy was lying on the grass face up, with his opponent lying on top of him roughing him up, and instead of protecting himself, he just lay there with arms outstretched in fear that if he retaliated he might give away a free kick. He just lay on the grass letting his opponent rough him up, hoping the umpire would intervene. I don't ever want to see that again. Here's my advice to Brodie: The next time you're getting roughed up, don't just lie there like a ragdoll, kick him in the balls. In fact, let rip with the elbow, because it's only a fine apparently.

Night games. I'm done with them. By the 4th quarter players are slipping over and the ball's a cake of soap. Hey let's have a night grand final - we can have fireworks!

I reached a milestone at the G last weekend. For the 1000th time in my life, I heard Summer Of '69. Thanks to whoever played that. I was wondering how generic and boring the MCG playlist could be. And Come Said The Boy? A bit risque for a family event don't you think? Let's do what we want to do, let me be a man for you. Was that to get us in the mood for kiss cam? Why don't you just play Prince Lady Cab Driver.

Learnt:

Nothing. We're only 4 rounds in.

Liked:

Carlton. My emotions waver between pity and joy as the years go by. Right now I'm in a joyous phase with a touch of intrigue. How can a team be this bad for this long? The last piece of Collingwood's rebuild puzzle was the connection between the mids & forwards, so maybe the Blues are on the verge. Hopefully not.

After his grand final performance, Darth Vadar returned to the G last weekend with his bass guitar (near Jolimont Station), playing along with karaoki recordings of Africa & Champions. Very amusing. I can only assume this was his inspiration:

View attachment 655539
I generally agree with the sentiment towards Christian, but Dusty didn’t cop a fine for his elbow. He got a week.
The fine was for sledging Mumford.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked:
Tigers cubs getting the job done.
Carlton losing - just for the lols

Learnt:
Brisbane a tad overrated
GC have serious ticker

Hated:
Ben Brown staging
MRO - how does BB not get a fine? How does Danger not get a week? How does Lynch get fined more for his part in the melee than the two Port guys, despite them instigating the melee and going at him

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Liked - Melbourne getting their first win. We went back to some basic football to get it done. Hunt was critical in our victory and could be our most important player this year.

Richmond getting some campaigner back. Yeah I hope we beat them in two weeks but good to see them come back from a horror showing against the Giants.

GC winning. Good on them.

Learnt - Giants are the real deal and this is their year to win it (potentially). I’ve picked WC to go back to back but I’ll not be surprised if they win it. They’re playing hard, ugly, and effective footy.

Cameron is a beast.

The state of the game is at its lowest ebb. Nick Dal Santo hit on it on SEN yesterday. Rolling mauls, tackling emphasis, pressure and athletes have turned the game away from the pure footballer.

Hated - Once again the focus on umpiring. How many games need and will be impacted by umpires? The AFL have created a monster.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I generally agree with the sentiment towards Christian, but Dusty didn’t cop a fine for his elbow. He got a week.
The fine was for sledging Mumford.
Was actually two fines. One was for the gesture, amd I agree that was harsh, and all about the optics. He was also fined for striking De Boer as well as elbowing Kennedy, and I think that was fair.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon for the last 3 years the hated section has contained a focus on the umpires, rules and how the game is confusing.

The current AFL administration has been an abject failure. The way the game is played is beyond laughable now. I think the only way to stop this is for the players to take industrial action to force change and force simplicity in the rules.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Liked: Cats exposed, they almost had me fooled in the first three rounds. I can relax now knowing they are not much better than last year.
The return of the high mark. is the only highlight

Learnt: The game looks terrible, in what was a dull round of "field athletics"
i don't think Gil realizes the crisis at hand with the product! I also don't think they know how to fix it either, it's gone beyond their capabilities.. Same old Ross Lyon...

Hated: That moment in the season when you discover your team isn't good enough.
Frivolous MRO actions. Danger cops a fine for nothing and Brown has begun acting classes.
Why is De Boer allowed to get away with his s**t?

Last edited:

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
The goal square isn't square but has a thick white line around it, and someone should be standing in it. Just in case.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked: Cats exposed, they almost had me fooled in the first three rounds. I can relax now knowing they are not much better than last year.
The return of the high mark. is the only highlight of what was a dull round of "field athletics"

Learnt: The game looks terrible, what was a dull round of "field athletics"
i don't think Gil realizes the crisis at hand with the product! I also don't think they know how to fix it either, it's gone beyond their capabilities.. Same old Ross Lyon...

Hated: That moment in the season when you discover your team isn't good enough.
Frivolous MRO actions. Danger cops a fine for nothing and Brown has begun acting classes.
Why is De Boer allowed to get away with his s**t?
Interesting fans starting to think maybe just maybe De Boer might be going outside the rules after danger hit him, but no such thought after dusty lashed out last week.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting fans starting to think maybe just maybe De Boer might be going outside the rules after danger hit him, but no such thought after dusty lashed out last week.

I dont think that's really happening amongst sensible people. Dusty was suspended for a king hit with the elbow to Adam Kennedy. To suggest that was De Boer's fault is beyond absurd.

Back