Autopsy Liked, Learnt, Hated: Round 18

Remove this Banner Ad

From the surf coast? or Colac? or the Bellarine Peninsula?
What's Colac got to with anything? Don't Geelong supporters go to Melbourne games too?.If Geelong and Hawthorn don't drop down the ladder for the next 5 to 10 years, then it's biased competition.I think in 15 to 20 years there will be two divisions, with the poorly supported teams like gold coast geelong and hawthorn in division 2

Only the feeble minded soft skin tige fans!
Are u actually a tiger supporter mate or do have 2 accounts.What sort of Richmond supporter sticks up for Geelong all the time? You must be only 18yo or justed effed up in the head!

What's Colac got to with anything? Don't Geelong supporters go to Melbourne games too?.If Geelong and Hawthorn don't drop down the ladder for the next 5 to 10 years, then it's biased competition.I think in 15 to 20 years there will be two divisions, with the poorly supported teams like gold coast geelong and hawthorn in division 2

I chose Colac as it's a town in the western districts with a large Cats supporter base. I could have chosen any town in the region. They drive an hour to Geelong to see a match, why should they drive two or three to satisfy your (frankly insane) desires?

I chose Colac as it's a town in the western districts with a large Cats supporter base. I could have chosen any town in the region. They drive an hour to Geelong to see a match, why should they drive two or three to satisfy your (frankly insane) desires?
So do people in Colac only go to Geelong home games.Do they freak out if they go to Melbourne and see city people! Very bad argument.Bottom line is with home ground advantage and free agency, Geelong has been kissed on the dick.Geelong supporters think this is normal and that have a right to play finals every year ! People don't want to see Geelong in finals anymore, they just lose and make up the numbers.It's time for the saints and bulldogs ect to be successful.Geelong are very annoying and privileged yr coach is a whinging campaigner

Rubbish. The challenge of the competition is beating the attempts to manufacture unnatural ladder alteration. Three teams on a large scale, two more on a medium scale (Adelaide and West Coast) consistently manage to defy it.

Why?

- they don't have a borderline mentally deficient reliance on the draft and an insistence that it can solve all their problems

- they are extremely well run organisations that make strong decisions with who they appoint to what role

- they manage to turn players who would otherwise be ignored or used wrongly into big contributors rather than looking for someone with a stupid amount of wraps in school aged footy

- they see potential in players from elsewhere that other clubs don't and they extract that potential. Brian Lake's good football had disappeared at the Dogs. He was huge at Hawthorn. Zac Tuohy was capable but underwhelming at Carlton. He runs our defence and is arguably our most rock solid contributor.

- we play every season to win. Not to improve, not to compete, not to get time into players. To win. It doesn't always lead to victories or to premierships but it leads to staying competitive and never settling for less.

Stuff your equalisation up your cockhole.

So do people in Colac only go to Geelong home games.Do they freak out if they go to Melbourne and see city people! Very bad argument.Bottom line is with home ground advantage and free agency, Geelong has been kissed on the dick.Geelong supporters think this is normal and that have a right to play finals every year ! People don't want to see Geelong in finals anymore, they just lose and make up the numbers.It's time for the saints and bulldogs ect to be successful.Geelong are very annoying and privileged yr coach is a whinging campaigner

Do Richmond players freak out if they go to the country and hear country people? Do they have a meltdown when they notice the curve on a boundary line is a bit less pronounced than what they are used to? Do they close up or get a cold sweat going when they go to run to a wing but find there's 10 less metres than what they expected?

Boy life's tough for a footballer.

The shrink couches around inner city Melbourne must be chockers in the days before a Dees/Richmond/Carlton trip down the highway.

Just lose and make up the numbers? Home ground advantage? You know the last two finals we've WON have been at the MCG right? One of which was against a team who is based there.

We do have a right to play finals every year. We played them 7 out of 9 times in the 89-97 period. We've made them 10 out of 12 times before free agency.

We've just been a better - much better - side than most others over an extended period. If other clubs didn't insist on this 'rebuild' bullshit then maybe they'd have more of a presence as well.

I notice you don't have this much of a wank about North Melbourne. They've made the finals 18 times since 1993. They've won only one less flag than we have. Got any issue with their right to continually contest the post season?

Rubbish. The challenge of the competition is beating the attempts to manufacture unnatural ladder alteration. Three teams on a large scale, two more on a medium scale (Adelaide and West Coast) consistently manage to defy it.

Why?

- they don't have a borderline mentally deficient reliance on the draft and an insistence that it can solve all their problems

- they are extremely well run organisations that make strong decisions with who they appoint to what role

- they manage to turn players who would otherwise be ignored or used wrongly into big contributors rather than looking for someone with a stupid amount of wraps in school aged footy

- they see potential in players from elsewhere that other clubs don't and they extract that potential. Brian Lake's good football had disappeared at the Dogs. He was huge at Hawthorn. Zac Tuohy was capable but underwhelming at Carlton. He runs our defence and is arguably our most rock solid contributor.

- we play every season to win. Not to improve, not to compete, not to get time into players. To win. It doesn't always lead to victories or to premierships but it leads to staying competitive and never settling for less.

Ok remember that when you finish bottom

Why?

Kudos on your fabulous use of the word cockhole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kudos on your fabulous use of the word cockhole.
Yes credit where's credit due.Of all those trades, the Brian Lake one still sticks in my craw.I knew at the time if he went to Hawthorn, the other clubs were just handing them more flags.No other club made an effort and bulldogs got f all in return.Even though Lake was a knob jockey and a spanner, he was still one of the best fullbacks in the game at the time.

Why?

Top post mate.

To add to that, yeah, we may have brought in players like Danger, Henderson, Smith, S.Selwood, Tuohy and Ablett in the last 3 years, but what our feeble minded friend doesn't understand is that in that time we've also had players like Menegola, Stewart, Parfitt, Kelly, Ratugolea, Henry and Narkle all debut in the same period of time.

So, in other words, not only are we staying near the pointy end of the ladder, we've been rebuilding on the fly - 15 debutants in the last 3 years is testament to that.

For a side who doesn't know the ground dimensions, Freo have had a pretty good record at Kardinia Park over the last few years.

Keep digging deeper though.
Given their home ground was Subiaco up until this season, the most alike venue to GMHBA in terms of the playing arena, then I don't find that entirely surprising.

Given their home ground was Subiaco up until this season, the most alike venue to GMHBA in terms of the playing arena, then I don't find that entirely surprising.

Glad you agree Socrates! :thumbsu:

I learned Geelong are capable of anything and will win the flag if we finish top 4 (which is 50/50 in my eyes).

You might have a p
Glad you agree Socrates! :thumbsu:
You might have a point that ground dimensions don't win you games, but your boutique home ground advantage is bullshit. No other Melbourne club has it.

Liked it when it was a site for 'LIKED , LEARNT + HATED not a thread for soft utensils to have trivial little boy tiffs, take your petty 5 day dribble somewhere else.

Liked it when it was a site for 'LIKED , LEARNT + HATED not a thread for soft utensils to have trivial little boy tiffs, take your petty 5 day dribble somewhere else.
Put on 'Big in Japan' and chill out Tom

LIKED: The Cats winning. They really are a fantastic club. Their coach has real class. As for their captain - I don't know why he gets in so many scraps. He must get targeted. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with him.

HATED: The Swans losing. We need the Swans playing in the finals. This year will be their 20th of 23 final series I believe, and they thoroughly deserve it. They are a great club with a great culture, and it is important that the game thrives up north.

LIKED: The umpiring. I particularly liked the umpiring of Dustin Martin.

LIKED: The MRP. Michael Christian is a good man who deserves respect.

LIKED: Steve Hocking & his committee. Steve's doing a fantastic job, and it's too cynical to suggest that the rule changes of the past decade, and the current 'state of the game' conversation are merely publicity stunts.

HATED: The Power losing again. I said a month ago that they were pretenders, and I wanted them to prove me wrong. They still might.

LIKED: Gil McLaughlan. He's doing a fantastic job, even though he still hasn't addressed the Barry Hall fiasco.

LIKED: Cameron Ling drying up and launching into a nervous coughing fit after suggesting that 'Tommy Hawkins has no case to answer for punching his opponent.' If you haven't seen it, find it. It's priceless. Approx 11pm after the Cats Dees game on 7. It's even better than Hardwick's coughing fit during his after match presser. Honestly, can the AFL just please excuse the Tigers coach from public speaking. It's painful. Any chance he can keep his head still while he speaks? He's gonna give himself a concussion.

LIKED: 'The Weekly with Charlie Pickering' on Friday night after the footy. Charlie did it again. That's twice in the past month he's destroyed McGuire. I don't know what the grudge is, but it's becoming comical.

LIKED: The Pies of course! Tyson Goldsack returning four and a half months after a knee reconstruction. WTF?!

LEARNED: Hirdy is being interviewed by Sheeds at a special luncheon at the Hyatt in Perth next Thursday. Tickets still available at ticketmaster. I'm not sure I can make it. Let me think. I'd have to buy a return flight across the country. There's the hotel cost, the airport parking, car rental, an extra pair of shoes. Nope. I don't think I'll go.

Sorry mate, Im going to have to plead ignorance on this one. 1) Carlton, collingwood etc all made the choice to abandon their traditional venues; 2) I’m still unsure how Carlton playing home games in princess Park constitutes an unfair advantage. It seems like your suggesting some teams forfeited their right to a home-ground, therefore ALL teams must. Which (to me at least) makes little sense. In no other professional sport world-wide is a club’s superior ladder position undermined by their venue’s capacity. I.e. Geelong was forced to forfeit their right to a home QF (earned through superior ladder position) for the home of their opposition (Tigers at the MCG) all for $$$$!? THAT to me is blatantly unfair totally undermines the AFL integrity and doesn’t withstand logical scrutiny.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just on point one, not all clubs chose to leave their home grounds.

Saints and hawks were forced to leave Waverley because the AFL sold it

Carlton chose to leave princes park, but only because the cost of maintaining the ground with them being the only tenant was becoming unsustainable.

I forget if the punt road expansion occured at the same time as our exit (pro could hold up to 40k, but this got killed when the road was widened)

Add to that a lot of the suburban grounds were not getting upgraded by the council's who owned them, and clubs had to leave because it's wasn't viable for a modern team anymore

I was a fan of.ground rationalization, but isn't wasn't voluntary for all. For some there was no choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back