Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I'd be interested to hear which players people think will get traded from their club this off season - and what the supporters of other clubs think they're worth?

I'd be interested to hear which players people think will get traded from their club this off season - and what the supporters of other clubs think they're worth?

I’d like to see Dumont, MacMillan, Turner & Tyson moved on at the very least. With only Dumont worth anything half decent, probably a pick around 25 given his age and came 3rd in a BNF in 2019. nothing against him - he is a terrific player and leader but having committed to Ziebell & Cunnington in the middle, you can’t expect to be good if you have slowish predominantly role players on the outside, even if their skills are decent.

Macmillan around pick 30-50 if we are lucky. Good person and goes alright on his day. Would suit a team who wants to release high quality half backs to onball and need a stop gap organiser for a few years until a better option comes along.

Tyson would be for a 10th Rounder. Might be cheap back up for someone.

Turner 2021 R5 or R6. Would have thought a skilled side would take his grunt. We are not a skilled side.

Believe it or not, that would clear about $1.5m in cap space for us.

For the Crows, I'm not sure if anyone gets traded. There isn't really enough quality on our list.

Perhaps Rory Atkins or Jake Kelly. Kelly is probably superfluous, though I'm not sure if Atkins is.

Then there are folks who may not make it at the Crows and could somewhere else, like Gallucci or Poholke. Not sure they have any value though.

There's also players that have value, though it's unlikely the Crows would have the balls to trade them, like Rory Laird or Tom Lynch. You assume they stay.

For the Crows, I'm not sure if anyone gets traded. There isn't really enough quality on our list.

Perhaps Rory Atkins or Jake Kelly. Kelly is probably superfluous, though I'm not sure if Atkins is.

Then there are folks who may not make it at the Crows and could somewhere else, like Gallucci or Poholke. Not sure they have any value though.

There's also players that have value, though it's unlikely the Crows would have the balls to trade them, like Rory Laird or Tom Lynch. You assume they stay.
No need to trade for crows Kelly would be one though

I can’t believe how quickly Tyson has gone from being a really promising inside/outside mid at GWS, to a dependable senior player at Melbourne to not being able to crack North’s best 22.

It’s a really warped trajectory.

Obvious one for the Dogs is Toby McLean. Very good midfielder who can't nail down a spot ahead of the trio of Bont, Dunks and Macrae. For the remaining midfield spots, Smith provides speed and kicking, Libba provides grunt, Wallis is decent up forward and a great leader while Lipinski is one of our classiest players.

McLean would be starting in the centre for a lot of clubs, and would be best 22 and most. Realistically, we should be able to get an early second for him on the back of his last few years. Pays for a good chunk of the JUH bid

Obvious one for the Dogs is Toby McLean. Very good midfielder who can't nail down a spot ahead of the trio of Bont, Dunks and Macrae. For the remaining midfield spots, Smith provides speed and kicking, Libba provides grunt, Wallis is decent up forward and a great leader while Lipinski is one of our classiest players.

McLean would be starting in the centre for a lot of clubs, and would be best 22 and most. Realistically, we should be able to get an early second for him on the back of his last few years. Pays for a good chunk of the JUH bid
As a Carlton fan living in Footscray with a house full of Dogs supporters, I've seen plenty of Toby since being drafted. I think he'd be a great target for a club in need of midfield quality like Carlton. As you say, the dogs have depth in the roles he's currently playing so you think a trade could be one of those mythical win/win situations.

Edit: I notice that McLean is contracted until 2022. That makes a trade tougher, you'd think.

Last edited:
I’ve no idea which Lions players might be up for trade.

If lists are cut back, I could see a few contracted players on many teams offered up for cheap, just to clear lists.

McLean is one of these players. He’s not a top line player, so the dogs might be happy to move him on for less than what his value would have been in a non austere AFL world.

For the Lions, Archie Smith might be shopped around if Steph Martin comes back for one more season.

Rhys Mathieson has possibly slipped down the pecking order with a number of inside mids traded and drafted in, in the last two years.

I can’t believe how quickly Tyson has gone from being a really promising inside/outside mid at GWS, to a dependable senior player at Melbourne to not being able to crack North’s best 22.

It’s a really warped trajectory.

idiotic decision to trade for him given what we already had on the list.

Cunnington, Higgins, Polec, Simpkin, Anderson and Ziebell all play his positions better than he ever could. Then you try to squeeze LDU and Thomas in there.

He should have gone to the GC.

idiotic decision to trade for him given what we already had on the list.

Cunnington, Higgins, Polec, Simpkin, Anderson and Ziebell all play his positions better than he ever could. Then you try to squeeze LDU and Thomas in there.

He should have gone to the GC.

I think Carlton could do worse than pick him up as a DFA. We are crying out for players who can consistently rack up 20-25 touches a game.

He needs to get back playing as an inside midfielder, as he's too slow on a flank, and not helped by North Melbourne's abundance of inside mids.

Delist: Bradtke C. Wagner J Wagner
Delist/Trade: O. McDonald (doubt it though)
Retire: Kolodjashnij Hibberd Jones (maybe)
Re-Sign: Nietschke Fritsch Spargo Bennell Petty Viney Jordon Lockhart Hunt J. Smith Chandler Dunkley Hore Brown Hannan Bedford Sparrow

However if list sizes are expected to be reduced by up to 10 we might have to look at offloading a bunch of the blokes listed in Re-Sign.

Don't know if we'd try and trade for more depth, might be better off looking towards the draft/academy picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a Carlton fan living in Footscray with a house full of Dogs supporters, I've seen plenty of Toby since being drafted. I think he'd be a great target for a club in need of midfield quality like Carlton. As you say, the dogs have depth in the roles he's currently playing so you think a trade could be one of those mythical win/win situations.

Edit: I notice that McLean is contracted until 2022. That makes a trade tougher, you'd think.
Yeah McLean extended long term a few years back. Only way I see him traded is if he struggles for a spot in the 22 and requests a trade for more time, which could happen if Libba stays fit. He'd get far more consistent time elsewhere, as much as I love him as a player. He's got good footy smarts, can be surprising quick in short distances, can play inside and out, but unfortunately just isn't anywhere near consistent enough up forward to justify a spot in our side ahead of our other mids. As you said, he'd thrive at somewhere like Carlton who needs good mids to back up the Cripps/Walsh combo going forward.

Josh Schache might find his way out of the dogs. I don’t like us playing 3 tall forwards and he’s the 3rd choice behind Naughton and Bruce. Take into account we will get JUH with our first pick (and generally our first rounders are given opportunity early), I see Schache potentially moved on.
Definitely could see him forced out. He was actually decent last year, only played half the season but went at around 1.7 goals per game, which is good for a 2nd/3rd forward target. I think he's capable of the 40-50 goal range if he plays the full season, but remains to be seen whether we commit to the 3 key forward set up. His field kicking is elite, he has one of the biggest tanks of anyone on our list, but his contested marking is abysmal which is really unfortunate, because if he didn't have butter fingers he could have played a similar role to what Riewoldt played in the back end of his career.

I'm sure he'd do well somewhere like Collingwood, where they need a tall, but also have the smalls to crumb the balls he drops

I’d like to see Dumont, MacMillan, Turner & Tyson moved on at the very least. With only Dumont worth anything half decent, probably a pick around 25 given his age and came 3rd in a BNF in 2019. nothing against him - he is a terrific player and leader but having committed to Ziebell & Cunnington in the middle, you can’t expect to be good if you have slowish predominantly role players on the outside, even if their skills are decent.

Macmillan around pick 30-50 if we are lucky. Good person and goes alright on his day. Would suit a team who wants to release high quality half backs to onball and need a stop gap organiser for a few years until a better option comes along.

Turner 2021 R5 or R6. Would have thought a skilled side would take his grunt. We are not a skilled side.

Unforunately I think Tyson has ended his own career by coming to us. Had a five-year deal on offer from Gold Coast but knocked it back to stay in Victoria and join a team where he wasn't needed (still a baffling call by us). GC have now stocked up with inside mids from other sources and I can't see them being interested again. Carlton or Essendon could do worse than pick him up but didn't seem keen last time around and he's not done anything to change their minds in the time since.

Dumont, Macmillan, Turner you won't realistically see leaving the club, although I can understand the frustrations with them as players.

If list sizes are reduced this year, I can see a lot of good foot soldiers getting delisted or traded for very little.

Fremantle list wise has the biggest headaches as their is a a small group of un-contracted players.

We have 39 on the list with only 8 un-contracted.

If Mundy’s body can hold up, a developing team like the Suns or a team in the premiership window ie Tigers could be a good get.

Most likely need a two year contract and at this age, teams might give it a miss.

Cox is un-contracted and is from SA. Both SA teams could be in need for a developing key back/forward.

Valente also from SA. Missed most of last year and Dockers will be struggling to reduce their list size.

Very unlucky and is worth a punt. Seriously, it may cost a team nothing.

Dur

durmont if we are lucky 3rd pick the rest of the above players mentioned
DELISTED
No club will want them could throw in Durdin and McKay as well on the delisted side of things too

If list sizes are reduced this year, I can see a lot of good foot soldiers getting delisted or traded for very little.

Fremantle list wise has the biggest headaches as their is a a small group of un-contracted players.

We have 39 on the list with only 8 un-contracted.

If Mundy’s body can hold up, a developing team like the Suns or a team in the premiership window ie Tigers could be a good get.

Most likely need a two year contract and at this age, teams might give it a miss.

Cox is un-contracted and is from SA. Both SA teams could be in need for a developing key back/forward.

Valente also from SA. Missed most of last year and Dockers will be struggling to reduce their list size.

Very unlucky and is worth a punt. Seriously, it may cost a team nothing.
lol not even close to the biggest headache.

Gold Coast have 41 players under contract for 2021. And the AFL has changed some of their “rescue” package to a loan they’re now required to pay back, because of the Vic teams whinging.

Gold Coast beefed up their welfare and development coach numbers in the offseason, after years of not being allowed to spend up to the soft cap limit, thanks to the extra funding the AFL agave them. Now they face having to let a lot of them go after less than 6 months.

Brisbane have 36 players under contract for next season, plus a new Irish Cat B recruit. Of our few out of contract players, ruck Steph Martin is a priority.

Cedric Cox is out of contract, and might spend a year in the WAFL, before being picked up by a WA team.

Last edited:
lol not even close to the biggest headache.

Gold Coast have 41 players under contract for 2021. And the AFL has changed some of their “rescue” package to a loan they’re now required to pay back, because of the Vic teams whinging.

Gold Coast beefed up their welfare and development coach numbers in the offseason, after years of not being allowed to spend up to the soft cap limit, thanks to the extra funding the AFL agave them. Now they face having to let a lot of them go after less than 6 months.

Brisbane have 36 players under contract for next season, plus a new Irish Cat B recruit. Of our few out of contract players, ruck Steph Martin is a priority.

Cedric Cox is out of contract, and might spend a year in the WAFL, before being picked up by a WA team.
You’re right.

Massive issues for the Lions and Suns.

Hopefully the AFL will reduce the lists in stages ie No Rookie list and main list of 38 in 2020 and then 35 in 2022.

Feel for the Suns, they could have got a lot of bargains if they had flexibility in their list.

If the list is reduced to 35, the Lions will have to trade 3 contracted players plus delist or trade all of the un-contracted players.

At the same time, the market will be flooded with Players and the Lions trades will go for unders.

Doing that will give you 2 draft picks. Therefore, there is no way the Lions use their third round pick.

I think Carlton could do worse than pick him up as a DFA. We are crying out for players who can consistently rack up 20-25 touches a game.

He needs to get back playing as an inside midfielder, as he's too slow on a flank, and not helped by North Melbourne's abundance of inside mids.

Agreed, he’d be good for you guys helping give Cripps a chop out.

We just can’t have Ziebell, Cunnington and Tyson on the inside of Dumont. It doesn’t work, obviously.

It was a completely ridiculous and unnecessary trade made by scorned desperados.

You’re right.

Massive issues for the Lions and Suns.

Hopefully the AFL will reduce the lists in stages ie No Rookie list and main list of 38 in 2020 and then 35 in 2022.

Feel for the Suns, they could have got a lot of bargains if they had flexibility in their list.

If the list is reduced to 35, the Lions will have to trade 3 contracted players plus delist or trade all of the un-contracted players.

At the same time, the market will be flooded with Players and the Lions trades will go for unders.

Doing that will give you 2 draft picks. Therefore, there is no way the Lions use their third round pick.
Our head of recruiting said on the club podcast we intend to use our two first round picks. He didn’t discuss anything further than that.

We’ve shown in the past we won’t match bids on academy kids, if the club has other priorities at the draft.

Seeing as the Suns had an expanded rookie list, the AFL might let them stagger their list reduction over an extra year or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back