Prediction Likely trades from your team this off season

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope we're not offering that coin. We're probably pushing the cap already and I want some coin left over for players like McGrath, Ridley, Zerk-Thatcher.
Ah, $700k isn't hard to find. Let's say you have six players out of contract. There's probably $1.75m to $2m there, for almost every club. Choose a couple of players to let retire or not re-sign, and you'd have it covered.

Everyone is pushing the cap every year, due to the CBA rules.

You'd have to match Joe Daniher, though, instead of letting him go as a free agent.

Ah, $700k isn't hard to find. Let's say you have six players out of contract. There's probably $1.75m to $2m there, for almost every club. Choose a couple of players to let retire or not re-sign, and you'd have it covered.
700k is also overs for Crouch who has some of the lowest hurt factor in the league. Would rather spend that coin internally.

700k is also overs for Crouch who has some of the lowest hurt factor in the league. Would rather spend that coin internally.
Crouch would be the second or third best midfielder on any team in the league. He's in a s**t situation currently, but it's dumb to forget how good he has been.

You get to add that to your side, and it costs nothing other than a retirement or delisting?

I guess anything is possible but I'd be surprised if any were big coin offers. I mean the Suns turned him down
The Suns didn't turn him down. The Suns knew it would cost them at least one of Rowell or Anderson.

Now it doesn't cost anything, and he's a $$$ discount on last year.

Crouch would be the second or third best midfielder on any team in the league. He's in a sh*t situation currently, but it's dumb to forget how good he has been.

You get to add that to your side, and it costs nothing other than a retirement or delisting?
Nah not quite. West Coast, Bulldogs, GWS, Geelong all have at least 3 better mids than Crouch. He'd suit the sides where they clearly lack elite mids outside of maybe 1 player each - Carlton, Fremantle, Richmond, Saints, Essendon

Crouch would be the second or third best midfielder on any team in the league. He's in a sh*t situation currently, but it's dumb to forget how good he has been.

As a free agent the price is right I guess but in regards to his position, being the 3rd best contested ball winner at a club night not see him being best 22 at that club in an landscape that is rewarding quick wingers. I think of Charlie Constable at the cats who plays a similar position and can't buy a game.

Also, I know I said anything can happen in regards to offers and compo picks but the compo picks are based largely on contract size and length. Given the almost certain cap reduction and the fact that most contracts are already locked in for next year i can't see many clubs with the cap to spend until previously signed contracts run their course. I think players putting themselves up for trade this year will have a very narrow selection of destinations and the ones that are available will not have cap to burn. You would likely see a club having to sign new players to long term deals and heavily back end them, and the position that puts the club in you'd think they'd want to be pretty sure that Brad will still be best 22 when it gets to the tail end. How many clubs can be certain of that?

I’d like to see Dumont, MacMillan, Turner & Tyson moved on at the very least. With only Dumont worth anything half decent, probably a pick around 25 given his age and came 3rd in a BNF in 2019. nothing against him - he is a terrific player and leader but having committed to Ziebell & Cunnington in the middle, you can’t expect to be good if you have slowish predominantly role players on the outside, even if their skills are decent.

Macmillan around pick 30-50 if we are lucky. Good person and goes alright on his day. Would suit a team who wants to release high quality half backs to onball and need a stop gap organiser for a few years until a better option comes along.

Tyson would be for a 10th Rounder. Might be cheap back up for someone.

Turner 2021 R5 or R6. Would have thought a skilled side would take his grunt. We are not a skilled side.

Believe it or not, that would clear about $1.5m in cap space for us.
You'd be lucky to get a stale piece of dry toast for any of those.

Nah not quite. West Coast, Bulldogs, GWS, Geelong all have at least 3 better mids than Crouch. He'd suit the sides where they clearly lack elite mids outside of maybe 1 player each - Carlton, Fremantle, Richmond, Saints, Essendon
Merrett and Shiel are heads and shoulders above Crouch, and the way he's performing this year I wouldn't be surprised if McGrath passed him too.

The Suns didn't turn him down. The Suns knew it would cost them at least one of Rowell or Anderson.

Now it doesn't cost anything, and he's a $$$ discount on last year.
He asked for a million a year and the Suns specifically said no to the contract size.

There's no way the Suns would have put pick 1 or 2 on the table at all. They just knew the crows would play hard ball on the deal and there was limited time in the trade period left so they said no to a trade on the basis that they would end up over paying the crows for him.

Note that in both cases, the Suns turned down the trade. Once because he was overvalued in dollars, and once because he would be overvalued in picks. Sounds pretty comprehensively like the Suns turned him down. Twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He asked for a million a year and the Suns specifically said no to the contract size.

There's no way the Suns would have put pick 1 or 2 on the table at all. They just knew the crows would play hard ball on the deal and there was limited time in the trade period left so they said no to a trade on the basis that they would end up over paying the crows for him.

Note that in both cases, the Suns turned down the trade. Once because he was overvalued in dollars, and once because he would be overvalued in picks. Sounds pretty comprehensively like the Suns turned him down. Twice.

I think both parties will revisit $$$ negotiations at seasons end.

I think both parties will revisit $$$ negotiations at seasons end.
If Crouch was to lower his asking price I would like the Suns have another look if his body holds up this year.

It was laid bear last night that our midfield is still easily bullied by bigger bodies and we probably need 1 more mature midfielder to throw into the mix.

Fair enough. He'd maybe be okay at Geelong (I think their midfield depth is actually a little bit shallower than you do) but wouldn't suit the other three sides.

I'd also take stringer over crouch through there too if the rotation was made permanent.
C'mon.

Get real.

I know the Crows are terrible currently, but let's be realistic about what Brad Crouch has shown over the last five years. No one would take Stringer over Crouch in the midfield.

Fair enough. He'd maybe be okay at Geelong (I think their midfield depth is actually a little bit shallower than you do) but wouldn't suit the other three sides.
You'd add a slow contested player to a midfield that is already short on leg speed and doesn't lack contested possession winners? I can't imagine how it would work

Sorry, how can the Suns turn down something that wasn't offered to them?

According to Craig Cameron, there wasn't a single serious discussion with the Crows. Considering they had received a priority pick in a year with best mates at pick one and two, there was no chance they'd be trading them, and they never discussed it.

All that happened was Brad's manager reached out to them, as every manager in the league would do with every club.

And never once has anyone associated with Gold Coast ever raised an amount that was discussed or any lack of interest in paying it.

So the Sun's specifically did NOT say no. And HAVE said publicly they would look at him and other free agents in 2020.

You'd add a slow contested player to a midfield that is already short on leg speed and doesn't lack contested possession winners? I can't imagine how it would work
Are we still discussing Brad Crouch? He's not slow and he's not solely inside. He's much better as a combo mid breaking from the contest.

Sorry, how can the Suns turn down something that wasn't offered to them?

According to Craig Cameron, there wasn't a single serious discussion with the Crows. Considering they had received a priority pick in a year with best mates at pick one and two, there was no chance they'd be trading them, and they never discussed it.

All that happened was Brad's manager reached out to them, as every manager in the league would do with every club.

And never once has anyone associated with Gold Coast ever raised an amount that was discussed or any lack of interest in paying it.

So the Sun's specifically did NOT say no. And HAVE said publicly they would look at him and other free agents in 2020.
The amounts were widely reported but as you say no numbers are ever verified. No one denied them either.

But what cannot be disputed is that specifically Brad Crouchs camp made overtures to the Suns to make a trade and that these overtures were rejected.

You say also that the Suns haven't ruled out making an offer to him this year but if you check the quote it seems unlikely.

"We went to that draft and drafted at the top end four talented midfielders, so how that impacts our decision at the end of the year, we need to wait and see how that all develops through the year,"

Can't rule anything out for sure, but you can interpret the likelihood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back