Liking the Dockers AND the Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Manufactured rivalry....

Sure, a few may have been WAFL loving, Eagle hating folks in 87, then jumped on the Freo bandwagon later as a last resort to be cool... But truth is, many original Docker fans were once Eagles fans themselves, so they are cut from the same cloth...

The derby games themselves have more oomph to them, but to me it's just marketing to make them out that way

I never hated Freo and I look at them as the younger brother south of the river...

Once Freo can win some flags and if heaven forbid we get a derby GF, then the rivalry might actually have something substantial to show for it

The Showdown rivalry is an actual legit rivalry given that Port was an established club long before the AFL that folks in SA either loved or hated, throw in the break away attempt to join the AFL leading to the birth of the Crows in 1990 and you have the makings of a historical rivalry.... Would love to check out a Showdown some day

Living in Perth surrounded by WC and Freo fans is like if you were living in Victoria with just Collingwood and Saints supporters.

One bunch are a tribe of deranged, self righteous halfwits and the other are almost embarrassed to say they follow their club at all.

It’s hell on earth.

Manufactured rivalry....

Sure, a few may have been WAFL loving, Eagle hating folks in 87, then jumped on the Freo bandwagon later as a last resort to be cool... But truth is, many original Docker fans were once Eagles fans themselves, so they are cut from the same cloth...

The derby games themselves have more oomph to them, but to me it's just marketing to make them out that way

I never hated Freo and I look at them as the younger brother south of the river...

Once Freo can win some flags and if heaven forbid we get a derby GF, then the rivalry might actually have something substantial to show for it

The Showdown rivalry is an actual legit rivalry given that Port was an established club long before the AFL that folks in SA either loved or hated, throw in the break away attempt to join the AFL leading to the birth of the Crows in 1990 and you have the makings of a historical rivalry.... Would love to check out a Showdown some day
you are being shortchanged and you are also being someone who likes to be rattled...

I was born in 1989, so never grew up with the WAFL being the main gig in town. For me the choice was pretty clear I was from WA, there was a WA team on TV playing against teams from other parts of the country, all the kids at school plus my dad supported and talked about the WA team and they won more often than not.

Never took freo seriously until they beat us in 99 and from there I absolutely hated them, saw them as infidels committing treason against their own state. Kept this hatred up for years and years as I moved around the country from 2003-2013(QLD, SA).

Then I moved back to WA in 2014 and after you mingle with folks from both sides you start to lose some of the hate, plus then they had some gun players who were genuinely good to watch.

I can say now I don't mind the dockers at all these days, sure there is no team I hate to lose to on the day more, and sure I actually don't really want to see them win a flag. But I prefer them week to week over probably 14 of the other clubs, and don't mind when they're up and about. Always cool to be in Perth when one or both of the clubs are doing well, you can definitely feel the buzz around town.

Living in Perth surrounded by WC and Freo fans is like if you were living in Victoria with just Collingwood and Saints supporters.

One bunch are a tribe of deranged, self righteous halfwits and the other are almost embarrassed to say they follow their club at all.

It’s hell on earth.
Haha, I can certainly objectively sympathize with you there

Haha, I can certainly objectively sympathize with you there

Lol ...I tend to gather in small groups with fellow Dons fans watching our games on tv huddled together like a secret society.

I gave up going to WC v ESS games years ago...too much grating on the brain from all the relentless booing.

Fremantle crowds are more tolerable...except the ####ers always beat us lately and I usually spend the entire second half staring into space wondering what we have done to deserve this wretched curse that appears to be bestowed upon us.

Lol ...I tend to gather in small groups with fellow Dons fans watching our games on tv huddled together like a secret society.

I gave up going to WC v ESS games years ago...too much grating on the brain from all the relentless booing.

Fremantle crowds are more tolerable...except the ####ers always beat us lately and I usually spend the entire second half staring into space wondering what we have done to deserve this wretched curse that appears to be bestowed upon us.
tumble weeds are your thing... good for cheating the system...

The first bit is quite witty..unfortunately the 2nd part makes no sense at all and doesn’t cut it as a punchline.

Keep at it though. Eventually you’ll come up with material that’s worthy of amusement.
and I am sure that you are obviously succinct at keeping to a certain position of this...

How dare you tell me how my 'rattle snake; gets traction and how dare you tell me that I am not
proper until you tell me I have traction in this life....

gather your mates around ... but thank you for treating me like a lump of coal...

It’s hell on earth.

Eagles supporters aren't embarrassed to say they follow their club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and I am sure that you are obviously succinct at keeping to a certain position of this...

How dare you tell me how my 'rattle snake; gets traction and how dare you tell me that I am not
proper until you tell me I have traction in this life....

gather your mates around ... but thank you for treating me like a lump of coal...

All that sounds like a passage out of Alice in Wonderland.

You sure you’re not a reincarnation of CS Lewis ?

Yeah...I clearly made that point about Freo fans if you’d put your glasses on and read with a bit more focused attention.

giphy.gif

lordy you speak as if you are the first one to say these things.. jump on board with all this.. I am relative number one with all this

take a hold of your people and say that you understand it alll..

I always throw an extra chip to one legged seagulls. I admire their willingness to never give up and not complain about their lot in life.

It's a proper rivalry now though, hate when people say otherwise.
It's had two and a half decades to ferment, many spiteful on field clashes and most people I know who support one hate the other.
Sure it's not as intense as the showdown or some of the big vic rivalries but it's definitely real nowadays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back