Liking the Dockers AND the Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Freo have an anchor and are purple. Nothing to like really.
Take a drive thru Freo, it smells like a dead blowfish, and its covered with wads of seagull sh!t. And half hour parking everywhere.
On a good day you can walk past a dozen street performers, usually some bloke who looks like he just came out of a drain, blowing alleged music into a home made bamboo pipe, whilst at the same time painting a pair of **** on a canvass with his feet. The plus side I guess is the $6 coffees and $12 pints.
Sucks across the board.

I'd drive through the "west coast" town centre to compare but I can't find the ******* place

Then again...

Trade Croad to get Hodge
Get Hodge
Get Croad back

Bunnies to us in one Grand Final

Hmm...WA teams are bloody awesome
Don't mind the Hawks.

You kept Freo's trophy cabinet bare in 2013, and even prevented the M.A.D that would've accompanied a Derby GF in 2015. To lose such a game would've been an unimaginably abhorrent experience for Eagle or Docker supporters.

Wouldn't mind a rematch with you, though.

I like the Eagles but I am fairly indifferent to Fremantle. I am not sure why but I have never really had any sort of emotional feeling to Fremantle. Even games where Sydney is playing Fremantle they almost feel like, I don't know, practice matches. I know Fremantle were a good team, but there was just something lacking there, at least from my perspective.

How they have been treated by the media - and compared to how we have been treated - has led us to dislike the media in WA first and foremost, but West Coasts fan bases inability to see that both clubs have been treated differently (and still are) has made us dislike them. Plus the way both clubs are treated by the umpires has made us dislike the umpires - and in turn their inability to see that makes us dislike them more. Plus there's the arrogance and sense of entitlement they got after 92/94 and us starting first season 1995 was never going to make things easy for us lol

tl;dr we don't *actually* hate them (or rather we didn't at the very start), just the way they are treated like media darlings and umpire darlings irks us and the fans not being able to see that - or acknowledge that
#freotoo

Right on, yeah!

The 92 and 94 teams were miserable to watch other than matera, the 2006 team was all methed up, this latest team is likeable but we have had it hung on us by the umpires, the afl, the eagles fans and even the commentators for 25 years and we cant really defend our teams performance on the park, but hard won things are the sweetest and if you think Melbourne was unbearable when tigers won wait til we win and go to Perth, or don’t !

but hard won things are the sweetest and if you think Melbourne was unbearable when tigers won wait til we win and go to Perth, or don’t !

Waiting for freo to win flag

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

I'm sure it's because we know the rivalry is what makes it all the more exciting on game day.
It's what makes it fun to give it to your Freo mate at work, and why he loves giving it back.

I am frikn DIE HARD West Coast, and i just LOVE kicking the shockers to the curb... because footy is a competetive, beast of a sport... and we are two teams that live in one giant sport loving state.

I genuinely dislike some of their fans, but that goes both ways.

As for the players themselves... I loved Ben Allen, I grew up with Sandi down on the farm, they are a terrific family, i went to school at Scotch with James Clement, and he's a TOP bloke! One of my closest mates brother inlaw is Brett Peake, now there is a funny prick to get on the piss with!

It's just like the Holden/ Ford rivalry that makes Bathurst so bloody good.
I'm a Holden man, I've owned a HZ 308 Panel Van and a HT Kingswood, but how sweet is a XB GT 351

we hate 'em, but we love 'em too!

untitled.png

I'm sure it's because we know the rivalry is what makes it all the more exciting on game day.
It's what makes it fun to give it to your Freo mate at work, and why he loves giving it back.

I am frikn DIE HARD West Coast, and i just LOVE kicking the shockers to the curb... because footy is a competetive, beast of a sport... and we are two teams that live in one giant sport loving state.

I genuinely dislike some of their fans, but that goes both ways.

As for the players themselves... I loved Ben Allen, I grew up with Sandi down on the farm, they are a terrific family, i went to school at Scotch with James Clement, and he's a TOP bloke! One of my closest mates brother inlaw is Brett Peake, now there is a funny prick to get on the piss with!

It's just like the Holden/ Ford rivalry that makes Bathurst so bloody good.
I'm a Holden man, I've owned a HZ 308 Panel Van and a HT Kingswood, but how sweet is a XB GT 351

we hate 'em, but we love 'em too!

View attachment 595197

Well said :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vids below of the most famous one - the 'Demolition Derby' - which kickstarted a lot of the bad blood. A total of 15 weeks suspensions came out of it.

Note that the eagles started it when a coked up Michael Gardiner came out swinging before the first siren (2nd vid), even though eagles fans have tried to rewrite history since then as Freo being the aggressors.

Freo supporters love the violence in the demo derby but hate the gaff hit. Go figure.

Freo supporters love the violence in the demo derby but hate the gaff hit. Go figure.
Phil Read instigated that, (possibly with racism), and he wasnt seriously hurt, unlike Young brayshaw who was not confronting Gaff, and his teeth will be stuffed for the rest of his life from that.

I'd drive through the "west coast" town centre to compare but I can't find the ******* place
I'd start driving and when you get to Eucla in the South and Kununara in the North you probably have reached the limits of this great state and the breadth of West Coast support because we are not just a shitty town like the Purple Taint!

This has been me for most of my life.

I became an Eagles fan in '95 as a kid. Initially I disliked Freo (for non-WA related reasons), but I developed an appreciation for them in 1999 with Modra & Drum. There was a period as a teen in 2002-04 where WCE, Freo & Sydney were virtually equal in my eyes. For instance, cheered for Sydney to win the 2004 EF, for Freo to win the final-round derby in 2003, etc. The 2005 Wizards pre-season cup permanently stamped me as an Eagle, that really recaptured my wonder. I was more of an "AFL" fan in the early 00s with several teams I enjoyed immensely.

Fremantle remain one of my most preferred clubs. Behind WCE, Sydney and GWS, I'd list the likes of Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane and Freo (even Collingwood) as perennial faves of mine other the years. I typically cheer on Freo whenever they make the 8, and as a fan of Ross Lyon at the Saints I welcomed his Freo implementation. Drifted away from Freo a little in the Mark Harvey years. As an East coast eagle, I'm happily ignorant to a lot of the tribal manure, agony and ecstasy (plus the derbies seldom ever get FTA out east).

Struggling to believe that after 12 years you’d never before met BF’s resident Inscrutable.

Why anyone even reads his boring, attention-seeking crap, let alone responds, is beyond me. Just skip straight to the next post.

Comparing all in team brawls to a coward punch on an unsuspecting player that did serious lasting damage... good one.

Nobody is excusing Gaffs punch, and got what he deserved, but FFS it’s not a cowards punch. They were facing each other, pushing and shoving. Unsuspecting maybe, because you don’t expect to get whacked in the mouth on the footy field, but that in part is the problem with young players these days, they grow up thinking they can talk s**t all day, niggle, push and shove their opponent but because it’s on a sporting field, there’s no repercussions. Do that out and about in the real world and you’ll cop it, like you would’ve 20 years ago on the footy field.

I’m not saying what Gaff did was right, far from it, but to call it a cowards punch is ridiculous. Reece conca’s elbow to the back of the head a few years back was closer to a cowards punch, but he’s one of yours now so I assume you’ll gloss over that incident too, and find outrage in something else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back