Liking the Dockers AND the Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not saying what Gaff did was right, far from it, but to call it a cowards punch is ridiculous.

A coward punch is defined as 'a punch made without warning or while the recipient is distracted, allowing no time for preparation or defence on the part of the recipient.'

Describes Gaff's hit just fine.

How many cowards punches did Kickett lay in the demo derby?? Pretty sure most were while Read was either on the ground (no chance to defend himself then) or when his back was turned and he was distracted by another person.

I've been a WC supporter since the day they came into the comp. Prior to that it was Perth Demons (still is unfortunately) so have never supported a VFL team. When Freo came into the comp I loved it. It meant I got to watch 2 games of footy on GWN each weekend. I loved the way Freo went about it in the early days with Durkay and Abrahams and some of the other indigenous boys playing a really exciting brand, even if not a winning one. I even took Clinton Wolf out fishing as a 17 year old when he was up visiting some schools, he was a great bloke.
The only time I didn't go for Freo was when they played WC. Then I moved to QLD in 1995 so have always avoided the interoffice rivalry between the 2 teams. I can imagine the Monday after a derby would be either fantastic or painful depending on which team won, a bit like RL State of Origin. Over here in the 90s, if you found someone who followed aerial ping pong, you just loved having a chat about footy that wasn't league regardless of who they support.
So I never really hated on Freo but enjoy the rivalry. I understand the strong feelings but keep my nose out of it save the odd tease about no cups/ Ross Lyon etc for entertainment value.

A coward punch is defined as 'a punch made without warning or while the recipient is distracted, allowing no time for preparation or defence on the part of the recipient.'

So same would apply to Silvagni from a few years ago too right?

He's lucky Cripps is a tough bugger as that was hit with a lot more force than Gaff and with the elbow which is way worse than a fist.

Funny enough there was some Freo fans who said Cripps brought it on himself for trying to block Silvagni's path, go figure.

Last edited:
2015 was ridiculous.

"If the Dockers don't make it then I hope the Eagles do for WA."

Where's the animosity. That's why I can't take the rivalry seriously. Manufactured as *.

2015 was ridiculous.

Where's the animosity. That's why I can't take the rivalry seriously. Manufactured as ****.

Said no one ever

No one in Australia wanted us to lose more then the Docker fans this year

I think the rivalry is a lot more intense then Port/Adelaide mainly because of how poor Fremantle have been in comparison to the Eagles. Think the whole 4 flags to 0 creates a one sided battle and the whole big kid vs little kid nature of it makes it a bit more intense in general

Gaff punched Brayshaw who had been niggling him throughout the game and especially just before the incident. Gaff even gave him a tummy tap minutes earlier. Brayshaw knew what he was doing, stirring up a gun mid. Brayshaw wasn't standing with his back to Gaff when he was hit, he was blocking him and in the last milli second actually moved / dropped his head as if to avoid a hit and copped it flush on the chin. Even Brayshaw's father mentioned that he lowered his head just prior to getting hit and contributed to how high it landed. Instead of a chest punch it hit his chin.

A cowards punch is a king hit from behind when it is totally unexpected.

But we all know this incident was Freo's 'grand final' for 2018 so continue on!!!!

Said no one ever

No one in Australia wanted us to lose more then the Docker fans this year

I think the rivalry is a lot more intense then Port/Adelaide mainly because of how poor Fremantle have been in comparison to the Eagles. Think the whole 4 flags to 0 creates a one sided battle and the whole big kid vs little kid nature of it makes it a bit more intense in general

Yes they do, especially the older age supporters that see it all as something very nice. The fact the Dockers have been pants has diluted it a little.

So same would apply to Silvagni from a few years ago too right?

He's lucky Cripps is a tough bugger as that was hit with a lot more force than Gaff and with the elbow which is way worse than a fist.

Funny enough there was some Freo fans who said Cripps brought it on himself for trying to block Silvagni's path, go figure.

Hah, if only you knew what that prick was saying.

Silvagni was never an angry, smack-throwing person or player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd start driving and when you get to Eucla in the South and Kununara in the North you probably have reached the limits of this great state and the breadth of West Coast support because we are not just a shitty town like the Purple Taint!

Where's the cut off? 10m from the coast? 1km?

Never realised the Perth CBD was on the West Coast of Western Australia. Well fancy that. You learn something new everyday

It's this kind of ignorance and arrogance that really exemplifies their supporter base

I know it was only in jest (and I did have a chuckle) but I've had this kind of s**t dished out on a serious note (my favourite is "Freo is that way" and a point westward - unbeknown to them that the West Coast is also that way - but each to their own)

I don't respect either West Coast or Dockers.
A
2015 was ridiculous.

Where's the animosity. That's why I can't take the rivalry seriously. Manufactured as ****.
Based on one person's quote. I bet if you dig hard enough you'll find at least one person who supports Carlton but doesn't mind Collingwood. One who supports Port but doesn't mind the Crows, the combinations are endless.

It may be slightly more common in WA amongst the older generations because of the whole West v the rest mentality that permeates throughout the state on all levels (sport, politics etc)

But I can assure you its not exclusive to, or common in, the derby.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back