Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks
You’re half right..

West Coast are the epitome of all that is good and all that is bad about WA.

Half right. Hard to find the good unless you think soulless pursuit of success at all cost is virtuous. As someone who hasn't lived in WA for many years I prefer to reserve my respect for higher things. In terms of the question posed by the OP, I think we found the answer in 2013 with the deafening silence around our best crack at a flag. As for the recent arrogance, we have little choice but to endure it!

mayne man

Senior List
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have lots of Fremantle supporting friends, they're not an issue outside Bigfooty from my experience.

Most Fremantle fans I know are pretty fatalistic when it comes to their teams performance most of the time. Actually a pretty admirable bunch in that respect, it's just the minority who feel slighted more than others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have the exact same thing with Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, greater western Sydney, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond, stkilda, Sydney and western bulldogs supporters.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Half right. Hard to find the good unless you think soulless pursuit of success at all cost is virtuous. As someone who hasn't lived in WA for many years I prefer to reserve my respect for higher things. In terms of the question posed by the OP, I think we found the answer in 2013 with the deafening silence around our best crack at a flag. As for the recent arrogance, we have little choice but to endure it!
I don't think you even know wtf you're talking about.

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

I cant stop laughing at this. You lot are on another planet.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Thats great research knob.
Been a member of the eagles since 1990.
Jumped on a chat site this year, so what? Am I not allowed to join until we are sh!t like Freo?
Another Cockburn champion.

You are very aggressive, chill a bit mate.

Footy is footy, fun to discuss, but all teams have their ups and downs.

Trouto

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
Most eagles fans I know don’t really have an opinion either way on the dockers – they tolerate them and some don’t even mind them having a win and will barrack for them as a neutral (including me). I find its generally the dockers fans who have this inbuilt hatred of the eagles which I find funny. They get so wound up about it. My theory is that most of them were on the eagles prior to the dockers joining the comp, and then made the big decision to jump on the freo wagon when they started. If someone grew up in the freo area or grew up barracking for south or east freo I can understand them wanting to join the dockers bandwagon. I come from a long line of south freo supporters but joined the eagles as soon as they started. So had a loyalty to the west coast and stayed with them after the dockers joined the comp. The dockers supporters who annoy me most are the western / northern suburbs types, who had no real association with freo who thought it would be cool and edgy to join freo. They are the ones who seem to get most wound up about WC. I reckon its because they realise what a huge mistake they have made and have then developed massive chips on their shoulders, watching freo lurch from one disaster to the other in the early years, then have a few years where they dangled the carrot of success in front of the supporters, only to quickly fall back to the pack quickly, whilst during this whole time the eagles play finals, have the better win/loss record in derbys and win GFs.

I find that outside the forums, most people are "WA fans" and support their team and dont mind if the other wins as long as its not a Derby. On the forum however, the vitriol is out of control by a few and when they get into slanging matches, like anything on the internet, it oges pear-shaped. Other people reading this may come to the conclusion that we hate each other. Check out some of the mud the Crows and Port sling at each other though! Doesnt help that in a 2-horse town the media frikn LOVE to stir the pot.

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
You are very aggressive, chill a bit mate.

Footy is footy, fun to discuss, but all teams have their ups and downs.

Says the purpler who called me a bandwagon jumper.

Listen mate, we are happy with ourselves, we won a flag. What does everyone want us to do? Act like Ned Flanders and go hard on the cordial.
If you guys are jealous and struggling with the heartburn, I get it.
Ive been around long enough to know the wheel turns, and it will.
At some point Freo will be up and we will be down, and I expect nothing less than a barrage from Dorks fans, like when you rolled us seven times in a row or whatever it was. I know its coming again, wouldnt be suprised if you roll us sometime in 2019. But until then, it is what it is.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Living in Perth I'd agree with this, wonder if it's the same in SA? Pretty sure vic is about your team and couldn't give a flying about "state", that died with SOO. lol
SA is very different. The Antipathy towards Port from every non Port supporter long pre-dates the state having AFL teams. It was amplified by the manouvering by Port for the first AFL licence.

Seems to be slowly dissipating a bit in the truly professional era with the younger generation of supporters, and I think that's a good thing. It was way beyond rivalry with many people.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
One does not simply like both. Imagine an Adelaide resident saying they like both Port and the Crowd. That being said I can picture a Queenslander liking both the Lions and Suns

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t mind Freo. Watching them play football is always good for a laugh

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
2015 was ridiculous.

"If the Dockers don't make it then I hope the Eagles do for WA."

Where's the animosity. That's why I can't take the rivalry seriously. Manufactured as ****.
That hurt that 2015 Prelim final loss to the hawks. It hurt much more than the 2013 GF loss.

I didn't watch one second of that hawks vs Eagles 2015 GF as I hated both equally. Either way a hated team won the flag.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Even West Coast supporters would have been embarrassed by some of the media coverage their team would get when it was a one club town. A 2nd team in Perth had to happen - its just that when it happened in 1995 it was after a West Coast premiership.

And the other thing for Fremantle is that while they might have expected to get a hardcore of supporters from the WAFL clubs of East and South Fremantle (and a lot of them stayed with West Coast), those clubs were also generally hated by the other supporters of the WAFL competition.

There have been various historical spats along the way like the Demolition Derby, but its probably taken a generation to pass with new supporters that grew up with both teams in existence in the AFL to create a proper rivalry.

element

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2007
Melb
AFL Club
West Coast
The rivalry is fun, but I don't hate the Dockers like some other WC fans seem to. They take the rivalry all too seriously when they really need to take a step back and enjoy it rather than taking it to a place of negativity.

If you think about it, the Dockers and Eagles fans should be working together more, along with other interstate teams, to battle the Vic dominance/bias of the competition when the game is supposed to have been nationalised.
So I actually like to follow what's going on with Freo just because they're also a WA team and I want champs like Pav or Fyfe to walk away with a flag before they retire.

There, I said it.

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Even West Coast supporters would have been embarrassed by some of the media coverage their team would get when it was a one club town. A 2nd team in Perth had to happen - its just that when it happened in 1995 it was after a West Coast premiership.

And the other thing for Fremantle is that while they might have expected to get a hardcore of supporters from the WAFL clubs of East and South Fremantle (and a lot of them stayed with West Coast), those clubs were also generally hated by the other supporters of the WAFL competition.

There have been various historical spats along the way like the Demolition Derby, but its probably taken a generation to pass with new supporters that grew up with both teams in existence in the AFL to create a proper rivalry.

That's probably the main reason I hate Fremantle, the historical legacy of those 2 WAFL clubs. Before 1987 when WAFL was the only game in town there was lot of utter bullshit from East/South Freo fans about Fremantle being the home and the heartbeat of WA football football. Forgetting that most of their success came when the WAFL only had about 4 teams in it.

The other aspect was there was also a time when the Dockers had the likes of Crowley/Carr brothers/Farmer/Ballantyne. I can't think of a more detestable group of footballers at one club at the same time.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
The other aspect was there was also a time when the Dockers had the likes of Crowley/Carr brothers/Farmer/Ballantyne. I can't think of a more detestable group of footballers at one club at the same time.

Well Carr J, Carr M and Farmer never played in the same team as Ballantyne either individually or collectively - so your memory is defective there.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
That's probably the main reason I hate Fremantle, the historical legacy of those 2 WAFL clubs. Before 1987 when WAFL was the only game in town there was lot of utter bullshit from East/South Freo fans about Fremantle being the home and the heartbeat of WA football football. Forgetting that most of their success came when the WAFL only had about 4 teams in it.

Your username sums it up

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
When I was 7 the Dockers came in and my parents switched over from West Coast. In retrospect that is a bit odd.
Not really, when I was a kid I loosely followed Hawthorn as my local SANFL club is Central District and John Platten was an 80's hero that we watched from afar when he moved across to the VFL.
When the Crows entered, I again loosely followed them as a South Australian representative in the AFL.
Neither would I consider 'my team' just a couple of teams to keep an eye on.

Once Port entered, I had my team and have followed them ever since.

I dont buy into the whole us V them with the Port/Crows rivalry apart from showdowns and am happy for Adelaide to go well against the rest.

Back