Toast Lin Jong retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Jong was my favourite player at the dogs for who he was and what he represented. I always counted the weeks when he was injured. Footy can be cruel to some and a gift to others. The thing I loved about this kid was that he was fearless and a full on trier. Boys, win this Premiership for him and all of us at BF and every supporter. Love you Jongie, and sorry I called you Kim Il Jong once when you missed a goal. I really apologise. I will miss you.

Good luck to Jongy and thanks for all your whole-hearted efforts over the last 10 years.

Must be close to the best #46 the club has had!?

KM
It's fair to say you're correct. Well done Jongy - if you're reading this :thumbsu:

1628085106734.png

Cheers Jongy. Gave it your all - just a rotten run with injuries. Wish the kid all the best for the future.

I’m not crazy about the club putting out that video of his speech to the players/coaches, he was understandably very emotional. There’s some things that don’t need to be made public / be put in social media.

Cheers Jongy. Gave it your all - just a rotten run with injuries. Wish the kid all the best for the future.

I’m not crazy about the club putting out that video of his speech to the players/coaches, he was understandably very emotional. There’s some things that don’t need to be made public / be put in social media.
I'm sure there are addresses/speeches that are put on social media and those that aren't. If Jongy didn't want that put on public platforms, the club wouldn't have posted it.

Gave his heart and soul to the club, tough and hard at it. Extremely close to being recalled for the 2016 GF, but they went with Roberts for the Sydney talls instead of going shorter with another runner. Was a line ball decision.

Must be close to the best #46 the club has had!?
With 65 career games, easily.

The other 4 blokes to have worn #46 (Greg Davis, Mark Cross, Mike Pokrovsky, Alan McGill) played a total of 13 games between them.

Thanks for your hard work Jongy, you gave your all whenever you took the field and nobody could ever question your commitment to get the most out of any opportunity.

I know Collingwood came knocking a couple of years ago, but was pleased you stayed with us and finish your AFL career as a one-club player.

All the best in the next phase.

Does anyone know why Jong wore #24 for just a single game during 2018 (vs Geelong, Round 15)? He went back to #46 straight afterwards and otherwise played every game in that number.
Torn jumper from memory. That was the famous win after the siren :D

The other 4 blokes to have worn #46 (Greg Davis, Mark Cross, Mike Pokrovsky, Alan McGill) played a total of 13 games between them.

There were a few of others that wore 46 including a couple that went on to play 100 odd games in a different jumper:

Jong, Lin2012-65
Kretiuk, Steven199212
Davis, Greg1978-815
Cross, Mark19744
Pokrovsky, Mike19702
Svilar, Michael19882
McGill, Alan19591
Pokrovsky, Mike19711
Eppelstun, Greg19861

Torn jumper from memory. That was the famous win after the siren :D
Cheers for reply. Did some more searching on the internet and found a Bulldog Tragician article from that week in 2018 which says he was a very late inclusion to the team when Matt Suckling was a late out and had to borrow a jumper from Shane Biggs to run out for us that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey fellas. Just wanted to drop in and wish Jongy the best of luck in retirement and that I've enjoyed watching him over the past decade. I have no doubt he would've at least played double the amount of games he has now if not for injuries and that some of those downsides to his game wouldn't be there (or at least as bad) had he had the continuity. I would say every year up until 2018 he's pretty much exceeded expectations, but in the end the injuries were just too much. The VFL grand finals will never be forgotten, but also him playing well in those games at the start of 2015 (which was a huge turning for the club) are highlights for me. That and his first half of 2017 it really looked he could potentially become a star.

It's a shame he couldn't play one last game (at either level) to send him off, but now I hope you guys win another premiership this year, and he can do the lap of honor at half time, so he can at least be somewhat involved in a doggies premiership again, one last time.

All the best to Lin Jong and a big thanks for his efforts. Never got a fair run at it but never let it sour him. Well done.
I used to live near Mark Cross. If memory serves he was one of the Bulldogs “radical” team selections when the Dogs played more than two rovers in the side. So radical the media commented on it at the time. Funny given the number of on ballers today.
Pretty sure after he left us he went up and played/coached one of the Sunraysia teams.

Cheers for reply. Did some more searching on the internet and found a Bulldog Tragician article from that week in 2018 which says he was a very late inclusion to the team when Matt Suckling was a late out and had to borrow a jumper from Shane Biggs to run out for us that day.
You're right, my memory was faulty. Cheers

Am I right to say that the anti 3rd man up rule was brought in to stop Jong? He certainly was the best at it.
Bontempelli had 4 hitouts to advantage in the GF, so might have a claim on the best 3rd man up too, but the rule was certainly introduced in response to our particularly good use of the 3rd man up.

Thank you for your service, Jongy. What a soldier. Nothing but admiration for your whole-hearted commitment. Best wishes for the next part of your life, Lin.

I reckon a player's heart would sink if he saw his name next to Jong's on the magnetic board. "Oh crap, not this bloke. Got a game on my hands now."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back