Recommitted Lin Jong [re-signed until 2018]

Remove this Banner Ad

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His tackles fluctuate. His tackles per round this year have been 1, 6, 4, 1, 0, 6 and 3, which doesn't look as positive as the average. Last year his average was high but he actually did spend a fair bit of time around the ball, rotating between mid and wing (and actually playing some pretty good footy at times). This year he has spent more time forward of centre but has occasionally been relied on more inside the contest. Since our half back injuries we've been playing +1 at the contest as well which he has been filling every now and then. On these occasions his tackle count jumps up.

So I guess to summarise my view, he's a nice presence around the ball physically and could I suppose be described as a defensive mid in that sense but outside of stoppage situations he's not good or committed enough defensively. Only my opinion though, of course.
Makes sense. Thought he might get the occasional run with role considering his size and athleticism and the fact that Picken seems to spend more time up forward in the defensive role.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Makes sense. Thought he might get the occasional run with role considering his size and athleticism and the fact that Picken seems to spend more time up forward in the defensive role.
Think we've toyed with it at various stages (we tried him on Dangerfield once and, well...yeah) but it has never really stuck.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think we've toyed with it at various stages (we tried him on Dangerfield once and, well...yeah) but it has never really stuck.
Sounds like a similar experience to us with Greenwood. Some players have all the physical traits but tagging is as much a mental and discipline game as any.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
He'd be a terrible back because he's a headless chicken with the ball in hand.

He has potential as a mid if someone can improve his decision making but I reckon that's a hard skill to learn at his age.

Jong reminds me a bit of the Collingwood version of Sharrod Wellingham. He was used in a run-with role at times, and was a bit inconsistent and flighty in that, but had some attacking value. Wellingham has evolved into a half back at West Coast, so with coaching, focus and discipline, Jong could evolve to be effective defensively as well at some stage. If he turns out to be a handy regular in some form at Collingwood like Wellingham was, it'll be a nice acquisition.

Again though, not really sure where he fits in the Collingwood side now.

Zephiisdaman

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2010
Whitten Oval
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can't discuss contract numbers or sign anything binding.

Beyond that it's a massive gray area.
Even that is a grey area. If he tours the facilities with his manager and Neil Balme says to the manager "we could offer so many $$$ over so many years" in earshot of Lin then he technically hasn't been spoken to about contract. His manager has.

Uncontracted and confirmed to have toured the Collingwood facilities during the week. Not sure how much they need a hardnut with suspect decision making like Jong as he won't get to play as the main man in the middle which is what he has excelled as at VFL level including being second best on ground in the 2014 VFL grand final.

Strengths

1. very quick
2. tough
3. strong overhead mark
4. decent around goals

Weaknesses

1. questionable decision making
2. actually functions worse in space than in the contest
3. skills are passable but not particularly good.

= seen walking into the Holden centre for a meeting.
Converted to a headline "Toured the Collingwood facilities"

He would be under contract, again I will ask is this allowed ?.
Lots of contracted players are seen touring cafe facilities too - they're called meetings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Good young player, think he's gone judging by his reaction when he broke his collarbone, it's a shame I really like him as a player, is seriously tough at it, always pops up with goals and I'm sure he's a player all his teammates love playing with.

Hopefully we get something decent for him but would prefer it if he stayed, I understand why he's leaving though right on the cusp of our best 22 when everyone is fit, probably would be unlucky to miss

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And I think we'd take him in a heartbeat.......
Yep, one of your second rounders would get it done. Not all clubs would pay that but he's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Think GC won't stress too much about coughing up a second.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Yep, one of your second rounders would get it done. Not all clubs would pay that but he's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Think GC won't stress too much about coughing up a second.
Apparently we are coughing up our seconds for half the players in the afl

Muzzaraki

Debutant
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
The guy has really improved this year now that he's had a good run at it. Major knocks on him are his decision making and his kicking is suspect. Also seems to not get much of the ball at AFL level, averaging about 15 disposals (VFL on the other hand), but will probably improve on that.

Don't know, could be a steal if he goes to GC and flourishes or could amount to not much, probably a pick in the mid 30s.

Really unfortunate that he got injured, the bloke just looked shattered.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
agreed we would find that good value for where we are at with picks and talent

That is a valid point. I may be wrong but Collingwood aren't exactly speed demons though are they? Jong is very fast, not JJ but not far off.
Jong is the quickest player on our list over 20m. Has beaten teammates every preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back