Traded Lincoln McCarthy [Traded with picks 54 and 57 to Brisbane for picks 42 and 60]

Remove this Banner Ad

BrennoWookie

Debutant
Jun 23, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Brisbane has expressed great interest in bringing McCarthy to the lions, they see him as a motive for Lachie Neale to join the lions however have expressed that they would be interested in him regardless of the Neale situation. Sources linked below. What would he be worth on the trade table?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...y/news-story/67495997829e203002a90c57f9dc47a9

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-tr...id-to-sweeten-lachie-neale-deal-ng-b88953263z

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-07/could-cat-lead-lions-to-gun-docker

No disrespect to McCarthy, but think he may be the worm on the end of our line, when trying to reel in our big fish - Lachie Neale. A good enough player in his own right, but given the fact that he is great mates with Neale, would certainly spike our interest. Trade bait indeed ;)

late 3rd then all Lions to have....

If we trade in Neale, McCarthy and can get Wallis over the line I really wouldn't mind if that's all we went to the draft with, even if it is reputedly very strong at the top end. With a third round and some late picks should still have a chance to bring in McFadyen, a mature ager; preferably a half back with speed and upgrade McInerney onto the main list. Still a chance we could get back earlier into the draft with some sort of pick swaps or something too.

Lions going full tigers. Taylor.bailey.lonie.Christensen.noway he gets 3 years. Menzel would be better value.

Lions going full tigers. Taylor.bailey.lonie.Christensen.noway he gets 3 years. Menzel would be better value.

Apparently we haven't been in touch with Lonie and the reported 3 years was erroneous. Also Christensen finished at half back and looked better there and Taylor doesn't apply pressure in the forward line.

Last edited:
Apparently we haven't been in touch with Lonie and the reported 3 years was erronerous. Also Christensen finished at half back and looked better there and Taylor doesn't apply pressure in the forward line.

Just seems a odd move with how the lions list is going with jack frost an tommy bell types getting chopped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just seems a odd move with how the lions list is going with jack frost an tommy bell types getting chopped.

Frost hasn't been chopped yet, still has another year but he's behind a lot of players and just had his second concussion. I could understand if he was paid out or he retired. Bell just not up to scratch unfortunately. All the other delistees had been on the list for a while and couldn't establish a consistent position and we now behind a lot of kids. McCarthy offers us something in a position in which we have no depth and if he can get his body right might represent some value. Assuming he comes cheap I can see the sense in it.

It’ll be a token pick.
Brisbane’s round 5 Pick - Pick 76

Why does Geelong have so many late 3rd & early 4th picks? Do they have a f/S selection incoming?

We have potentially 3 but only 1 for sure .. Oscar Brownless. Waiting on who Bailey Scott wants to play for .. and Bax Mensch has not come on.

McCarthy will be done for little.. but I doubt a late pick this year means something to us . Late next would be better.

I have heard of McCarthy but honestly can't recall what he plays like, Cats supporters out there give us any insights? When fully fit has he got pace? Is he a hard working, chasing, harassing and tackling small forward? Good goal sneak and crumber?

That's what we need.

The funny thing is that McCarthy is exactly the type of player that Geelong need. He is that high pressure forward pocket that keeps the ball in the forward line. Problem is he can't stay on the park. Like Dan Butler for the Tigers he is always picked when available for what he does off the ball and not on it. I would be surprised if McCarthy didn't get an offer from Geelong but no way for 3 years.

I have heard of McCarthy but honestly can't recall what he plays like, Cats supporters out there give us any insights? When fully fit has he got pace? Is he a hard working, chasing, harassing and tackling small forward? Good goal sneak and crumber?

That's what we need.

Cats would know way more than I would but I had him in SC one year and watched a bit of him and from memory he's pretty quick, applied a lot of pressure and whilst I didn't see him as a crumber or ground ball winner in the 50 he did seem to be in the right spot for the hand off for a shot at goal pretty often. The big flaw seems to be that he just can't get his body right. Less than 30 games in 5 years paints a picture of the struggles he's had.
Although I'll probably end up completely wrong.

That's what we need.
Pretty talented player who take take a high mark and is good at ground level. The talk of his forward pressure is off the mark (he's had 72 tackles in his career at an average of 2.5 pg). He's more a leading small type with heaps of skill. We haven't seen his best because he can't get on the field consistently.

I'd compare him to a Jamie Elliott type.

Pretty talented player who take take a high mark and is good at ground level. The talk of his forward pressure is off the mark (he's had 72 tackles in his career at an average of 2.5 pg). He's more a leading small type with heaps of skill. We haven't seen his best because he can't get on the field consistently.

I'd compare him to a Jamie Elliott type.
Type being the important word.

I love what Brisbane are doing. They are being ambitious and aggressive. Love their young list....biiiig things in store for them

Type being the important word.

I love what Brisbane are doing. They are being ambitious and aggressive. Love their young list....biiiig things in store for them
He has huge upside if he can get his body right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back