Traded Lincoln McCarthy [Traded with picks 54 and 57 to Brisbane for picks 42 and 60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Just our luck we will get a 4th rounder, would like a 3rd. He will be like Candy, stay injury free and you will win out of this.
I hope he stays for another year as the potential on him is huge. He is a good player but just seems that can't stay on the park injury free.

I have heard of McCarthy but honestly can't recall what he plays like, Cats supporters out there give us any insights? When fully fit has he got pace? Is he a hard working, chasing, harassing and tackling small forward? Good goal sneak and crumber?

That's what we need.

He is all of those things and a good mark with mongrel but he is never fit.

Cats would know way more than I would but I had him in SC one year and watched a bit of him and from memory he's pretty quick, applied a lot of pressure and whilst I didn't see him as a crumber or ground ball winner in the 50 he did seem to be in the right spot for the hand off for a shot at goal pretty often. The big flaw seems to be that he just can't get his body right. Less than 30 games in 5 years paints a picture of the struggles he's had.
Although I'll probably end up completely wrong.

Takes a good grab for his height. Can lay a strong tackle. Doesn't tackle enough. Doesn't kick enough goals. Over the course of his career he hasn't crumbed well enough either however there were signs of improvement in this area before his most recent 18 months worth of injuries. Oh yeah and he gets injured a lot.

Wooler is a list clogger. Would rather give McCarthy away for pick 100

He was only draft last year. Spent majority of his first season out injured but showed some pretty good signs in the reserves when he returned.

From what I seen, a hard worker with a a nice pair of hands. Plenty to work with.

Clever from Brisbane.
This is the type of creativity that GC need to start showing...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like we've built a solid base. GC probably needs to focus on that first.
I know what you mean.
This specific deal wouldn't work for GC right now but it's this type/level of creativity that they are going to have to show in order to attract quality to their club. That's all I'm saying

Cat McCarthy has medical in Brisbane
Daniel Cherny18 September 2018 — 6:43pm
  • Send via Email

Leave a comment

Out-of-contract Geelong forward Lincoln McCarthy had a medical in Brisbane on Tuesday as the Lions close in on the goalsneak's services.

McCarthy, who turns 25 next month, is being hotly pursued by the Lions as he weighs up a change of scenery.

The Cat, who is believed to have a three-year deal on the table from Brisbane, has been restricted to just 29 games in seven seasons since being drafted from South Australia.

6fa64ca656ebf03d4835ca79fad056819ec775ef

Lincoln McCarthy

Photo: AAP
It’s understood McCarthy toured Brisbane on Tuesday, visiting the Lions’ facilities at the Gabba, and being checked out by the club’s medical staff, particularly pertinent given his extensive injury history. During his time at Kardinia Park McCarthy has variously been plagued by quad, hip, back, hamstring and foot issues.

Geelong are aware of McCarthy’s trip to Brisbane and while still rating him highly understand he may want to leave. McCarthy is yet to formally request a trade from the Cats but he appears to be leaning towards leaving.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cat-mccarthy-has-medical-in-brisbane-20180918-p504km.html

Always been an almost player. Just couldn't get himself fit enough, always a niggle of some type. The fact he has finished the season playing and not injured is perhaps a good sign, perhaps he can build from there. Expect a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

Always been an almost player. Just couldn't get himself fit enough, always a niggle of some type. The fact he has finished the season playing and not injured is perhaps a good sign, perhaps he can build from there. Expect a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

3rd or 4th rounder for someone who you admit can never get fit enough?

3rd or 4th rounder for someone who you admit can never get fit enough?

Yep, when he is fit (and not injured, which isn't enough) he is in our best 22.

We got a 3rd rounder for Josh Walker and he's putrid so only fair. If you can get McCarthy fit, he has far more upside than Josh Walker ever had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back