Linda Ronstadt - The Sound of My Voice

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Whether you're a fan or not, this documentary is captivating, what a talent, what a voice.

As a young kid in the 70s I think just about everyone had a crush on her. We got her top selling singles on air over here but not a whole lot else, watching this doco highlights how huge she was at her peak, head lining and filling stadiums, which as it turns out, she didn't much like.

One thing I did learn was that she is half Mexican on her father's side. At pretty close to the peak of her career she disappeared to do musical theatre and she also released an album of Mexican songs from her childhood. It is still to this day, the highest selling non-English speaking album of all time in the USA.

If you've ever watched the two part Eagles doco on Netflix, the Eagles pretty much formed from her backing group when Don Henley and Glenn Frey roomed together while on tour with her and started to collaborate.

Being basically the only woman on tour, she didn't like it and I think was one of the reasons she walked away to pursue other things musically. She was great friends with the other huge female stars of the time in Bonnie Rait, Emmylou Harris and the like, they all seemed to have been protective of each other.

As Molly liked to say, do yourself a favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back