The Law Lindt Cafe Siege - Inquest Findings

Remove this Banner Ad

I never said " This entire thing is abbotts fault " anywhere did i ?.......

What i HAVE stated numerous times that from top-to-bottom , the system failed WE THE PEOPLE on this one.
So yes i agree , magistrates , spooks , haul them all in.

Something for a Shorten 2nd term govt to think about

The monis issue should've been " ended " one way or another the moment he wrote letters to diggers widows.
1 mention of abbott and herne loses his **** , almost like he was WAITING for me to say something he could amp up over.

Ok you haven't mentioned it word for word, but the impression you give is that TA is largely at fault.................... maybe you should've mentioned your other targets instead of just "Top down and Tony" when you bumped the thread.

Once again the public gets the short end.

It's also none of the business of the general public. They want to know what happened, but they don't need to know. Going to a trial would have meant that the identities of some officers would have been revealed along with heaps of confidential details on Police tactics. The last thing that the cops want is people like you knowing their inner most secrets.

BTW, I don't mind the payout to the plaintiff personally because I think he deserved it and Special Operations members are severely underpaid.

The problem with this whole scenario was that modern Police command are effectively politicians in uniforms. They're more concerned about their next promotion and being seen to do something that isn't politically correct or makes the politicians look bad will affect this.

It's also none of the business of the general public. They want to know what happened, but they don't need to know. Going to a trial would have meant that the identities of some officers would have been revealed along with heaps of confidential details on Police tactics. The last thing that the cops want is people like you knowing their inner most secrets.

BTW, I don't mind the payout to the plaintiff personally because I think he deserved it and Special Operations members are severely underpaid.

The problem with this whole scenario was that modern Police command are effectively politicians in uniforms. They're more concerned about their next promotion and being seen to do something that isn't politically correct or makes the politicians look bad will affect this.
At least we agree it was a debacle from start to finish

With the way the murdoch press jumped in it immesditley, the most logical scenario is the police were pressured from above to drag this media circus out as long as possible

WA has changed their directive to police from a contain and attempt a peaceful solution for an active threat into one that instructs them to end it by use of lethal force if required as soon as possible.

People who train and train to be elite at their job want to deliver their job, this is why shooters want to shoot. They will end it and unfortunately the nuance disappears when the story gets reported, people aren't going to remember the Lindt Cafe siege when the news is reporting a gunman shot in the street by police sniper while around hostages, potentially putting them at risk - not even attempting to negotiate a peaceful solution.

Very hard to support the people who stand on the wall keeping an eye out for the monsters when you don't want to have the messy side of what that might cost discussed openly.

The military changed during the period I was in there. The older officers would say expect the troops to act professionally by decisively. It wasn't a concept to unleash needless killing, rather the concept of acting with appropriate action in the case of conflict and using initiative.

The next generation of officers were by the book and pro geneva convention cards regarding rules of engagement. These cards are great sitting in the UN council, but would be effective suicide if followed in the field.

It is obvious both systems have their pros and cons but at the end of the day, servicemen/ policemen have to remember what their objectives are. No card can replace professionalism and Martin Place is the cost of doing so.

Personally I see the point of having armed officers, if they aren't going to use them. Oh and the military should have been called in, if the police weren't confident of taking the shot.
We had nsw trg train with us when i was going through singo and to say i was unimpressed was an understatement.

they just loved running round in gucci kit looking tactical and flexing - actually being extremely fit and highly professional so you can run, bash things down and take a shot under stress with a hostage in the field of view - meh

Any terrorism thing should be dealt with by tag east / west - lindt wouldnt have even been a challenge for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back