Ling

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, maybe not so many Geelong games for Lingy. He's a tad biased for sure.

Someone in this thread said he's better than Darcy, yeeahhh he is, but that's like saying 'shorter than War and Peace' or some such.

Any expert needs to have played the game, and they all played for someone, so bias is what you're always going to get.

There are so many of them that they have to compete for air time. A game of footy is no longer than it was in the 90s but now we have 2-3 times as many people involved covering the game.

Last night was Sarah Jones hosting the stupid 'pie night' thing with David King, Brad Johnson, Paul Roos and whoever else was there. Then Channel 7 actually broadcast the game with Basil, BT, Lingy, Peter Bell...

They literally (and I'm looking at you, David King) invent new things to talk about then spend the coverage talking about those things to justify their involvement.

Been banging on about this for a while... it reached fever pitch a couple of years ago, there was one game where the "commentators" icon popped up in the corner of the screen, and there was 7 - SEVEN - names there.

Two commentators, two "special comments" offering absolutely * all, two "boundary line" reporters who also add absolutely * all (oh the crowd is loud... it's raining), and some random player like Hodge or something doing god knows what.

Soccer gets this right. Two people: a caller and a pundit. That's it.

I can cop two callers for footy because it's more work, but that's it. Three people.

A "boundary rider"? For ******* what? What are they going to tell us? If there's something happening down there that they can pass on (there isn't), then put the *in work experience kid there and he can phone messages up to the producers and commentators. We don't need to hear everybody's *in voice.

The problem is that once the contracts are signed, there's no competition for ratings. You can't switch to another channel.

Can't work out if he is better or worse than Brereton doing Hawks games.

At least Ling at least acknowledges players from the opposition, I suppose.
At least Derm, and it pains me to say this, does drop the occasional insight, unfortunately you have to sit throufh a lifetime of ear bleeding shite to get to it.
Ling gives ya nothing.

Been banging on about this for a while... it reached fever pitch a couple of years ago, there was one game where the "commentators" icon popped up in the corner of the screen, and there was 7 - SEVEN - names there.

Two commentators, two "special comments" offering absolutely **** all, two "boundary line" reporters who also add absolutely **** all (oh the crowd is loud... it's raining), and some random player like Hodge or something doing god knows what.

I can cop two callers for footy because it's more work, but that's it. Three people.

A "boundary rider"? For ******* what? What are they going to tell us? If there's something happening down there that they can pass on (there isn't), then put the ****in work experience kid there and he can phone messages up to the producers and commentators. We don't need to hear everybody's ****in voice.

The problem is that once the contracts are signed, there's no competition for ratings. You can't switch to another channel.

Agree with this.

Even the NFL only has 2 guys in the booth, then one at ground level providing just about fk all, and sometimes they have a former ref for a bit of clarification on things.

By all means, pre game, half time etc, have 4 people crapping on to their hearts content.

But in game, 1 caller and 1 "colour" guy should be fine.

EDIT: credit to SkyhorseTamer for beating me to it.

Last edited:
There are so many of them that they have to compete for air time. A game of footy is no longer than it was in the 90s but now we have 2-3 times as many people involved covering the game.

Last night was Sarah Jones hosting the stupid 'pie night' thing with David King, Brad Johnson, Paul Roos and whoever else was there. Then Channel 7 actually broadcast the game with Basil, BT, Lingy, Peter Bell...

They literally (and I'm looking at you, David King) invent new things to talk about then spend the coverage talking about those things to justify their involvement.
Therein lies the problem. Less is more - if it is good enough for EPL and other major leagues around the world to have 1 main commentator and 1 special comments man AND NOBODY ELSE, it should also be fine for the AFL media partners - unfortunately they persist in throwing 1/3 of a footy team into their match day commentary. Then again if they didn't, there would be an awful lot of deadshit ex. footballers with no employment avenue after they retire.

Ch 7 are a special kind of s**t with their footy commentary - they treat the game like it is one of their piece of s**t reality TV shows. That is why commentators are assigned specific personalities and often see their input as far more important than the game itself, hence the desire to impose themselves needlessly on the flow of a game and not letting the pictures speak for themselves. Foxtel are annoying as hell but they at least try to analyse the game and generally allow the footballers to be the stars of the show.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i literally don't know what lower your eyes means - kills me everytime.

What they mean is dont look up into the forward 50 then bomb it onto a players head or to a 2 on 1 contest, they say lower the eyes so you hit a player on the tit

But as per usual they all say it now and overuse the phrase, similar to the Dermie invented " gamecraft"

Surely this bloke has to stop calling Geelong games. Too biased. Having a go at blokes from the Eagles ducking

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
massive geelong dick rider. last night he sounded like he was part of their cheer squad. wanna be respected linnnngeeeeeeeeehhhh? be more unbiased

It's not just Ling, its the damn majority of commentators on Channel 7 and Foxtel. It's got to the point now, that I'm not enjoying watching football, simply because of the crap that is talked about during games, and hardly the game itself.
All these idiots just constantly trying to outdo each other is just embarrassing. Rarely, apart from my own teams games, can I sit through an entire match before wanting to throw something at the TV!
It's called "infotainment"... Shudder...

Two commentators, two "special comments" offering absolutely **** all, two "boundary line" reporters who also add absolutely **** all (oh the crowd is loud... it's raining), and some random player like Hodge or something doing god knows what.

A "boundary rider"? For ******* what? What are they going to tell us? If there's something happening down there that they can pass on (there isn't), then put the ****in work experience kid there and he can phone messages up to the producers and commentators. We don't need to hear everybody's ****in voice.

Yeah but what about the war room? How can someone call the game and work out that one team is +7 in score involvements and -13 in pressure acts?

Foxtel's Friday night coverage baffles me. They have a cast of thousands and they don't even call the game, they take a signal from 7.

Do we really need Eddie, Sarah Jones, David King, Jonathan Brown, Dermott Brereton, Mark McLure, Paul Roos and Brad Johnson all involved in the coverage of a game that someone else is calling? Coverage tonight starts at 5pm (7 EST) and the game is at 5.50. There will be half a dozen people talking for nearly an hour before the game even starts. * me.

What's your point? Good captain. OK player (tagged SMitchell beatifully, it's true). s**t, s**t, s**t commentator.

Ling
ling%2Bcups%2Bbest.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back