Ling

ZingerB

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's a genuine indictment that I struggle to think of a decent commentator. Even if they are not biased for a team, they are biased for a state. If a Vic team is involved, Ling is just putrid. I'm not sure there is a Dwayne Russel/ Bruce Mcavaney equivalent that actively barracks the other way. I just want to hear some karnt call the ******* game. Unsurprisingly, the best commentators are the ones that don't engage in any fluff, just call what they see. Ricciuto and Dunstall (calling non Hawthorn) games are just about the only commentators I can actually stand listening to. I have also liked what I have heard from Pavlich so far. Just about every other commentator is not just bad, but downright awful. I don't know what it is about them, the cricket commentators seem to be able to have a good time and actually analyse the game without being complete morons.

Makes me laugh all the American sport comments he makes, last week was Curry to Durant talking and Danger and Selwood, this week was some comment about the End zone.

Seriously stop trying to be some hip sporting expert, Lingy you have one sport to be an expert on and you can't even do that right, STFU most people wouldn't even know what your on about you disgusting gargoyle.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
What's your point? Good captain. OK player (tagged SMitchell beatifully, it's true). s**t, s**t, s**t commentator.

His commentary is great.

My point is he's an AFL legend. No one brings up how Leigh Matthews is a backseat fascist and is wrong 9/10 times thesedays. Lingy should receive the same respect.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Isn't biased in favour of Geelong

But **** me all he does is talk about them. Manages to bring them up in every bloody game he calls

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Anybody else think he's pretty decent? And that we are way to critical of what we want commentators to be?

I think a lot of people look at commentators from years gone by with Rose coloured glasses on and are way too critical of the current team. They then carry on about how "commentators are so much better in the US" and that everybody in America loves them. Well let me tell you, Chris Collinsworth and Al Michaels (NBC's SNF pairing) get just as much criticism as Australia's commentators, they aren't perfect either.

Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rochester FC, Waroona FC, Pacers
His commentary is great.

My point is he's an AFL legend. No one brings up how Leigh Matthews is a backseat fascist and is wrong 9/10 times thesedays. Lingy should receive the same respect.

Every single post of yours I've read has been embarrassing dogshit.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Last night "Sometimes you never know what players are up to 48 hours before a game"

When do you ever know what players are up to 48 hours before a game?

It's painful enough listening him for 1 night... 2 nights in a row, channel 7 must be trying to kill the ratings!

Wish Carey would just hip & shoulder Ling out of the commentary box.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Therein lies the problem. Less is more - if it is good enough for EPL and other major leagues around the world to have 1 main commentator and 1 special comments man AND NOBODY ELSE, it should also be fine for the AFL media partners - unfortunately they persist in throwing 1/3 of a footy team into their match day commentary. Then again if they didn't, there would be an awful lot of deadshit ex. footballers with no employment avenue after they retire.

Ch 7 are a special kind of s**t with their footy commentary - they treat the game like it is one of their piece of s**t reality TV shows. That is why commentators are assigned specific personalities and often see their input as far more important than the game itself, hence the desire to impose themselves needlessly on the flow of a game and not letting the pictures speak for themselves. Foxtel are annoying as hell but they at least try to analyse the game and generally allow the footballers to be the stars of the show.
I agree.

The commentary teams should be pooled, and each game have one former player/coach and one "personality" with total bias ONLY. That would be fun.
Adelaide: Mark Riccuito and Graham Cornes
Brisbane: Leigh Matthews and Jonathon Brown
Carlton: Andy Maher and Robert Walls
Collingwood: Mick Malthouse and Eddie McGuire
Essendon: Tim Watson and Mark Robinson
Fremantle: Dennis Commetti and.....
Geelong: Tom Harley and Cameron Ling
Hawthorn: Jason Dunstall and Dermott Brereton
Melbourne: Garry Lyon and ...
North Melbourne: James Brayshaw and David King
Port Adelaide: Warren Tredrea and Dwayne Russell
Richmond: Brian Taylor and Matthew Richardson
St Kilda: Danny Frawley and ... Paul Roos
Sydney: Gerard Healy and
West Coast: Matthew Pavlich and Basil Zempilas
Western Bulldogs: Luke Darcy and Doug Hawkins

GC and GWS need not apply - yet.

I agree.

The commentary teams should be pooled, and each game have one former player/coach and one "personality" with total bias ONLY. That would be fun.
St Kilda: Danny Frawley and ... Paul Roos
Sydney: Gerard Healy and
West Coast: Matthew Pavlich and Basil Zempilas
Western Bulldogs: Luke Darcy and Doug Hawkins

GC and GWS need not apply - yet.
Paul Roos definately in the Sydney commentary box.

Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree.