Game Day Lion Hunting

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah brissy are definitely ahead of us in the race to a flag .
Only blind bias would say otherwise however that also doesn’t mean they ll get there first.
Wholeheartedly agree with all the sentiments about being overrated/due to no depth lack of genuine A grade Kpf etc.
Think unless hipwood takes the next step and Rayner turns out at least half decent whilst one of their young mids(mcluggage/berry become genuine A grade)then I think pre lim is the absolute highest they can achieve.

just on that draft after initially being a little bit meh with the progress of our picks (in particular cerra)and watching Naughton star ,now looking at that draft it is indeed quite underwhelming... (how paddy Dow found himself the 3rd player picked is beyond me but considering it was carlton I love it!) tho still clearly time for most of them.

We’re actually looking half decent , even great if cerra builds on that game yesterday.
As for revised draft position Naughton goes first , every time .

Reckon Rayner is one of those that will get good quite late but will probably have an awesome peak.

You would see more of him than me but I think he’s actually already peaking. It’s not as if he had to build up his body too much and he plays as a small forward anyway. I guess we’ll see but the comparisons to Dustin Martin at draft time are currently very funny now imo.

Just on that draft after initially being a little bit meh with the progress of our picks (in particular cerra)and watching Naughton star ,now looking at that draft it is indeed quite underwhelming... (how paddy Dow found himself the 3rd player picked is beyond me but considering it was carlton I love it!) tho still clearly time for most of them.

We’re actually looking half decent , even great if cerra builds on that game yesterday. As for revised draft position Naughton goes first, every time .
I like Naughton and agree he is top 2 from 2017, but I reckon a few are getting a little dizzy about him.

With Brayshaw and Cerra, both sat on the bench for 30mins yesterday and are prob building after having to spend 14 days in quarantine along with Tabs, Darcy and few others. That quarantine ate into the start of the training period for the restart. So they are prob each a bit behind the eightball. Mark Duffield Summed up Cerra well. Looked very classy in the second but went MIA in the last. Just needs to string it together for longer. Makes good decisions, very tidy with his disposals but just doesn’t get near enough of it.

Brayshaw had a few decent kicks like the long one to Tabs that set up his second goal. Just needs to keep improving. I liked his awareness yesterday a couple of times where he tapped on the ball as he was about to get tackled. Not a disposal but effective and clever. He sets good shepherds and a great team player. Seems to be down on his usual tackle count for some reason.

Brad Lloyd made the most of the 2017 draft/trade period. In hindsight one of Brayshaw or Cerra to be swapped out by Naughton but you could understand the reasoning for midfielders. In 2018 prior to the Neale and Hogan stuff I wanted Rozee. Watched him play SANFL and he oozed class. He is a star. As Longmuir loves to say “it’s the way the cookie crumbles”. I do like Sturt and want to see more of him in the purple.

I like Naughton and agree he is top 2 from 2017, but I reckon a few are getting a little dizzy about him.

With Brayshaw and Cerra, both sat on the bench for 30mins yesterday and are prob building after having to spend 14 days in quarantine along with Tabs, Darcy and few others. That quarantine ate into the start of the training period for the restart. So they are prob each a bit behind the eightball. Mark Duffield Summed up Cerra well. Looked very classy in the second but went MIA in the last. Just needs to string it together for longer. Makes good decisions, very tidy with his disposals but just doesn’t get near enough of it.

Brayshaw had a few decent kicks like the long one to Tabs that set up his second goal. Just needs to keep improving. I liked his awareness yesterday a couple of times where he tapped on the ball as he was about to get tackled. Not a disposal but effective and clever. He sets good shepherds and a great team player. Seems to be down on his usual tackle count for some reason.

Brad Lloyd made the most of the 2017 draft/trade period. In hindsight one of Brayshaw or Cerra to be swapped out by Naughton but you could understand the reasoning for midfielders. In 2018 prior to the Neale and Hogan stuff I wanted Rozee. Watched him play SANFL and he oozed class. He is a star. As Longmuir loves to say “it’s the way the cookie crumbles”. I do like Sturt and want to see more of him in the purple.

I'm not sold on grabbing Naughton. Obviously a bit to play out with all 3 players (Naughton, Cerra and Brayshaw,) but I recall a few suggestions that Naughton wanted to go over east. He'd probably big a bigger flight risk than either of the two players we grabbed.

Grabbing Hogan the year after should mean that our tall forward problem is resolved for the time being, so I'd be more concerned trying to plug midfield gaps.

I'm wondering if there was a way to grab Lobb without losing that pick 5. You'd think there was.

Like you, I loved Rozee back then and I'd give three top 10 picks for him now. He will be a top 5 player in the comp I think, just does it all

I'm wondering if there was a way to grab Lobb without losing that pick 5. You'd think there was.

Like you, I loved Rozee back then and I'd give three top 10 picks for him now. He will be a top 5 player in the comp I think, just does it all
I believe GWS were always going to play hardball for Rory Lobb. He has been a very good pick-up. I still think his best position is ruck and resting forward but that is a different argument.

The thing was that Rozee went at pick 5. We technically never had our sticky fingers on pick 5.

We traded Pick 6, 2019 3rd > 11, 23, 30, 49 (with Port), which is a pretty solid trade.

Then Port traded Sam Mayes and pick 6 (and other picks) to get Brisbane’s pick 5. They were seriously lining up to get Rozee and well done to Port.

Yes we could possibly have done things differently but not having a second was always an issue. If we had our usual second round pick then we could have used that for Lobb (maybe upgrade slightly), use our own pick 6 and some other change on Jesse Hogan and then get pick 5 and change for Neale.

My point was the 2017 vs 2018 drafts. We went early and hard in 2017 which has ended up not being as good a draft as 2018.

Some of the class of 2017 are starting to show their worth. Fingers crossed Cerra and Brayshaw really start to develop as this season progresses. We just need to expose them and give them time. Not such a bad option throwing Walters and Fyfe forward.

"Brisbane have hung on to relaunch their AFL season with a nervy 12-point win over Fremantle behind four Charlie Cameron goals.

The Lions threatened to pull away numerous times but the Dockers kept firing back before falling short 12.9 (81) to 10.9 (69) in a near-replication their tight first-round loss to Essendon.

The Lions looked all-but home before Michael Walters kicked two final-quarter goals to breath life into the Dockers' charge.

Brisbane then missed multiple chances to seal the win in the dying stages before captain Dayne Zorko's nerve-settler got the Lions, beaten comprehensively by Hawthorn in round one nearly three months ago, on the board.

Earlier, Cameron ran rampant in the first half before being well held by Griffin Logue after the main break.

Lachie Neale's (29 touches) fitness shone late, his two goals against his former club both oozing class, while Dockers captain Nat Fyfe overcame a quiet start to kick three goals and accumulate 23 disposals.

Cameron was electric whenever near the ball, snapping three goals before guiding a tight set through for his fourth early in the second quarter.

Goals to Zorko and Dan McStay helped the Lions build a lead of substance ahead of the main break.

They'd done in the same in the first term too, but both times watched the Dockers close quarters with goals stemming from ill-discipline.

First a Jarryd Lyons brain fade saw a penalty reversed in the middle of the field and Lachie Schulz sneak a goal through to reduce the margin to eight at quarter time.

Then Fyfe won a penalty off the ball to kick his second and again pull the Dockers back into the contest with the final goal of the term.

Matt Taberner (two goals) was deemed to have juggled a mark through the goals to start the final term, while Lions debutant Tom Berry almost had his hero moment late.

Berry ran back and bravely marked about 30 metres out and lined up for what would have been the sealer, only to push his kick across the face of goal."

WAtoday's reveiw everyone. did they just copy and paste from courier mail or what?

"Brisbane have hung on to relaunch their AFL season with a nervy 12-point win over Fremantle behind four Charlie Cameron goals.

The Lions threatened to pull away numerous times but the Dockers kept firing back before falling short 12.9 (81) to 10.9 (69) in a near-replication their tight first-round loss to Essendon.

The Lions looked all-but home before Michael Walters kicked two final-quarter goals to breath life into the Dockers' charge.

Brisbane then missed multiple chances to seal the win in the dying stages before captain Dayne Zorko's nerve-settler got the Lions, beaten comprehensively by Hawthorn in round one nearly three months ago, on the board.

Earlier, Cameron ran rampant in the first half before being well held by Griffin Logue after the main break.

Lachie Neale's (29 touches) fitness shone late, his two goals against his former club both oozing class, while Dockers captain Nat Fyfe overcame a quiet start to kick three goals and accumulate 23 disposals.

Cameron was electric whenever near the ball, snapping three goals before guiding a tight set through for his fourth early in the second quarter.

Goals to Zorko and Dan McStay helped the Lions build a lead of substance ahead of the main break.

They'd done in the same in the first term too, but both times watched the Dockers close quarters with goals stemming from ill-discipline.

First a Jarryd Lyons brain fade saw a penalty reversed in the middle of the field and Lachie Schulz sneak a goal through to reduce the margin to eight at quarter time.

Then Fyfe won a penalty off the ball to kick his second and again pull the Dockers back into the contest with the final goal of the term.

Matt Taberner (two goals) was deemed to have juggled a mark through the goals to start the final term, while Lions debutant Tom Berry almost had his hero moment late.

Berry ran back and bravely marked about 30 metres out and lined up for what would have been the sealer, only to push his kick across the face of goal."

WAtoday's reveiw everyone. did they just copy and paste from courier mail or what?

Wouldn't be a shock. Who does it say the journo who wrote it was?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yuck don't subscribe

Every news paper does it.

AAP is to be dissolved by next Friday, but it was owned by Newscorp, Nine and Seven West and all of those papers utilised AAP at various points to cover stories for them.

Really not a big deal.

Pobably why newspapers are not worth what they a written on anymore.

Hang on; so WA Today buy the article from a journo based in Gold Coast (or technically from a company they partially own anyway) rather than just rewriting the exact same story and that makes them terrible?

Hang on; so WA Today buy the article from a journo based in Gold Coast (or technically from a company they partially own anyway) rather than just rewriting the exact same story and that makes them terrible?

I'm from WA paying for a news subscription about WA and its sports teams, why do I want a Gold Coast journalist opinion about how good the Brisbane teams are?

Buy impartial sports articles. It's ok thewest can't write them either. call out to all impartial sports article journalists....

Eric Hipwood is 22 and has kicked over 30 goals a season in each of the last 3 seasons (he has played 4 seasons). Matt Taberner is 26 and in 6 seasons has never kicked more than 20 goals in any season. Rocks in glass houses people.

Eric Hipwood is 22 and has kicked over 30 goals a season in each of the last 3 seasons (he has played 4 seasons). Matt Taberner is 26 and in 6 seasons has never kicked more than 20 goals in any season. Rocks in glass houses people.

I'm not convinced Taberner is the answer (and I hope Dixon gets his act together and progresses to push him out of the side to be honest) but f*** me that post is WILDLY disingenuous! His last 3 seasons he has gotten up to 20 goals before round 10 before going down with season ending injuries FFS.

I'm not convinced Taberner is the answer (and I hope Dixon gets his act together and progresses to push him out of the side to be honest) but f*** me that post is WILDLY disingenuous! His last 3 seasons he has gotten up to 20 goals before round 10 before going down with season ending injuries FFS.

Umm isn't his last 3 seasons:
2019 Season = 13 goals
2018 Season = 10 goals
2017 Season = 11 goals?

Also it wasn't meant to be a critique so much of Taberner but the fact that people were implying Hipwood wasn't good enough....

2019 Season = 13 goals
2018 Season = 10 goals
2017 Season = 11 goals?

Also it wasn't meant to be a critique so much of Taberner but the fact that people were implying Hipwood wasn't good enough....

Fair enough, I hadn't quite researched Tabs stats, mainly just shooting from the hip at work after remembering Tabs injuries.

Hipwood's good but he isn't exactly amazing. The criticism is more from the subjective observation that he isn't filling out and hasn't really come into his own to look like ripping a game apart as of yet. He also lacks help in this area due to McStay looking decidedly average at best as the 2nd KPF. What he does do well is contest: and that's where Cameron (and Neale when he rests forward) comes into his own as one of, if not the best small forward in the game.

Ultimately the criticism of Hipwood comes from the hype which was always going to be unfair to him. Unfortunately, the hype hasn't subsided due to the fans and the rise up the ladder hence the disproportionate criticism. Make no mistake if he even fills out and improves even 20% on where he is now he'll be the next star FF of the league.

Last edited:
Hipwood might end up being the example we use when we say that you don't want a player to aim to be the third tall at either end of the ground. As shown with Logue, you want them to be a key defender that can also play third or small.

But he isn't going to be alone when we speak of players who either didn't physically develop or appear to not work hard enough, that could be said of almost every player at one point or another.

2019 Season = 13 goals
2018 Season = 10 goals
2017 Season = 11 goals?

Is that aimed at me?

If so, I never said Hipwood wasn’t good enough, just said he’s overrated and not as good as everyone is making out. Secondly wtf has Tabs got to do with an opinion on Hipwood.? What a weird post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back