Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
General discussion thread about all random things to do with the Lions season in 2019.

Some pretty decent number up for grabs this year - 7, 8, 9, 11, 17, 22, 24 and 32.

I could see Lachie and Lincoln being locker room buddies with 7 & 8 respectively unless some of the other guys already on the list want to upgrade.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
As for a preliminary prediction of our 2019 season, it is a little hard without knowing what the fixture is, but I'm pretty confident that we won't be bottom two (Gold Coast and St Kilda). I actually think Carlton and Fremantle will improve next year although we should shade Carlton, but I think with the gains Fremantle got, they will still edge us. Bulldogs will regress again IMO and we should have them covered, but apart from that, a lot has to go right for us to improve beyond finishing 12th or higher on the ladder.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I think the overall standard of the competition is improving and it is going to be hard to make a big jump up.

Agree that Carlton will jump up a bit with their ins and returns from injury.

I fall into the trap every year but I am going to again, Sydney to miss finals. Bombers top 4.

We will finally see the top tier at the school end open at the Gabba again, and have a couple of home games crack 30k.

Last edited:

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I think the overall standard of the competition is improving and it is going to be hard to make a big jump up.

Agree that Carlton will jump up a bit with their ins and returns from injury.

I fall into the trap every year but I am going to again, Sydney to miss finals. Bombers top 4.

We will finally see the top tier at the school end open at the Gabba again, and have a couple of home games crack 30k.
Its hard not to think that Essendon won't be up there with the talent they've built.

I reckon Richmond and GWS are two that are quite susceptible if they get their fair share of injuries with both looking like they have a strong core 25 or so and then fall away pretty quickly.

Gabbatoir

Club Legend
Dec 23, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
Also, has there been any talk on how Charlie's recovery is going? Isn't his injury somewhat similar to the Scully one, albeit less severe?

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We will win 10 games this season. We will beat Carlton, Gold Coast and Freo twice and st kilda, Hawthorn, port Adelaide, western bulldogs once.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
We need a few players to go to a higher more consistent level for us to improve next season.

1) Daniel McStay- Turns 24 next season, he needs to be our Jack Darling type and I can see it in him in glimpses.
2) Rhys Mathieson- It would really help out Jarrod Berry if Rhys & Lachie Neale can take over the bulk of the inside grunt work. Jarrod to still do some but I like his ability to spread from the contest and float forward take a grab and is a great set shot.
3) Eric Hipwood- Eric is progressing nicely but if he can continue on that steady upward trajectory and also clean up his set shots he will be great as early as 2019.
4) Jacob Allison- We need another outside mid/wing type (eg. Isaac Smith/Brad Hill) to go along with Tom Cutler, Jacob could be a 70/80 meter player for us.
5) Cedric Cox/Zac Bailey- We need run and carry out of the back half desperately IMO, as Fagan said we just can't rely on kicking it out all the time.

Bonuses would be Marcus Adams fit freeing up Harris to be THE INTERCEPTOR. Lincoln McCarthy & Charlie Cameron fit bringing some forward pressure and x factor to the F50.

Looking past 2019 I still think we are well short of midfield depth and talent which is why I love cotter101 s suggestion from the 2018 draft thread (#4327) that we get creative with getting back into this years top 20, his idea looks very doable and would be a fantastic result beyond 2019.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It would be helpful if we have two better jlt games this season. Last season we played Gold Coast in very wet conditions and then Sydney in 50 knot winds and 40 degrees. I recon this contributed to being under done round one against st kilda and then we were always playing catch up.
Two solid jlt hit outs in normal playing conditions so the team can gel will set us up for a first up win against Gold Coast nicely.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
We need a few players to go to a higher more consistent level for us to improve next season.

2) Rhys Mathieson- It would really help out Jarrod Berry if Rhys & Lachie Neale can take over the bulk of the inside grunt work. Jarrod to still do some but I like his ability to spread from the contest and float forward take a grab and is a great set shot.

Irrespective of the Neale addition, I think the Beams departure will open the door for the likes of Mathieson and Keays in particular. Prior to the Beams announcement that he was out the door whilst adding Neale, I had serious concerns where the likes of Mathieson and Keays would fit in other than as stand-bys for injuries. They both have still a lot of work in front of them, but there are opportunities for the taking, particulalry Mathieson who had kind of cemented his spot in the side late in the season.

It would be helpful if we have two better jlt games this season. Last season we played Gold Coast in very wet conditions and then Sydney in 50 knot winds and 40 degrees. I recon this contributed to being under done round one against st kilda and then we were always playing catch up.
Two solid jlt hit outs in normal playing conditions so the team can gel will set us up for a first up win against Gold Coast nicely.

Wouldn't mind an easy start this year. Hopefully the AFL can do us a solid and schedule something like Gold Coast, Carlton, Saint Kilda to start the season to get the boys up and running.

Always feels like we have really slow starts to the year.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wouldn't mind an easy start this year. Hopefully the AFL can do us a solid and schedule something like Gold Coast, Carlton, Saint Kilda to start the season to get the boys up and running.

Always feels like we have really slow starts to the year.

I think we'll get Collingwood in the first few weeks (easter Thursday at home). Gold Coast at Metripong R1, then Pies, then Carlton (etihad) and Saints at home would be ideal.

Regardless it shouldn't be worse than 2016 - the start to that season was absolutely dreadful and set us up for a shocking year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mainly just excited to see Charlie for a full season. We probably would have won at least a couple more games in the second half of the season if he had been fit and playing.

Yeah I think it's easy to forget how good he was early last year.

Bloke was a machine, ran harder than anyone else on the team.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Further to my earlier point on Keays, it really is make or break for him this season; literally.

Solidify a spot and he'll be re-contracted, otherwise it may just about be curtains.

On the topic of 2019; there are a few guys that are also in the Keays camp with contract expirations in a year's time including: (Keays), Hodge (likely retirement), Christensen, Bastinac, Robinson, Martin (at his age, doubt he'll move on or retire), Walker, Robertson, Skinner, McStay, Cutler, Gardiner, Taylor, Lester, Mathieson, Ballenden, Lyons, Eagles, Hinge, Frost, McInerney and Fullarton.

The ones I hope we can re-sign sooner rather than later are McStay, Cutler and Gardiner and I suspect Melbourne based clubs will come hard at this trio.

I think Christensen, Robinson, Walker, Robertson, Taylor, Lester and Mathieson will need to show something to be re-contracted. I'm not saying they're necessarily in danger, but a failure to show a reasonable level of form could see them either delisted or traded.

I think the likes of Ballenden, Skinner and Fullarton will be given some leeway to a degree.

The ones that are in the most danger IMO at this stage are Bastinac (seemed very much out of favour), Lyons, Eagles (particularly if Adams comes on), Hinge and Frost with Lyons needing to get games this year if he is to avoid the chop.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Further to my earlier point on Keays, it really is make or break for him this season; literally.

Solidify a spot and he'll be re-contracted, otherwise it may just about be curtains.

On the topic of 2019; there are a few guys that are also in the Keays camp with contract expirations in a year's time including: (Keays), Hodge (likely retirement), Christensen, Bastinac, Robinson, Martin (at his age, doubt he'll move on or retire), Walker, Robertson, Skinner, McStay, Cutler, Gardiner, Taylor, Lester, Mathieson, Ballenden, Lyons, Eagles, Hinge, Frost, McInerney and Fullarton.

The ones I hope we can re-sign sooner rather than later are McStay, Cutler and Gardiner and I suspect Melbourne based clubs will come hard at this trio.

I think Christensen, Robinson, Walker, Robertson, Taylor, Lester and Mathieson will need to show something to be re-contracted. I'm not saying they're necessarily in danger, but a failure to show a reasonable level of form could see them either delisted or traded.

I think the likes of Ballenden, Skinner and Fullarton will be given some leeway to a degree.

The ones that are in the most danger IMO at this stage are Bastinac (seemed very much out of favour), Lyons, Eagles (particularly if Adams comes on), Hinge and Frost with Lyons needing to get games this year if he is to avoid the chop.

Great post Dylan12, and I think once we get past the draft there would be a worthwhile thread in itself on 2019 re-signing priorities. It's a big year with basically all of the 2013 class, plus some veterans and some younger players all OOC. For the 2013 class it is probably the last contract offer they will have before they get to FA eligibility years so pretty critical to be smart with how we approach that.

Completely agree with the 3 you've selected - I'd order them Gardiner, Cutler and McStay and all are absolutely essential to get done as soon as possible. I'd also add NRobbo to that list as while he isn't as flashy as those I rate him as a lockdown defender on the medium forwards and his cultural contribution to the group.

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is true. However given we lost about 5 games by only a goal we don't need to improve a lot to become a 10-12 team all of a sudden (which I think is where we should be aiming for 2019). Given we essentially had the percentage of a 10-12 in 2018 already we're not far off at all from that.

Ultimately finals are unlikely in 2019 and it will still be another developing year - but we really should be wanting to go BANG from 2020.

Think we have Suns, Carlton, Fremantle & St. Kilda covered next year. And can probably push ahead of a couple other teams on the ladder who have poor seasons and be in the 11th-13th range.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B: Hodge, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Witherden, Adams (Walker), Rich
C: Cutler, Zorko, McCluggage
HF: Taylor, Hipwood, Rayner
F: McInerney, McStay, Cameron
Foll: Martin, Berry, Neale
I/C: Robinson, Christensen, Robertson, Bailey

I feel Cox will take over from Hodge for about 3/4 of the season. Also depends on where we're playing.
Walker in brackets if Adams is not fit. Still confused on which spot McCarthy will slot into, if available.

If fit do Adams and McCarthy slide straight on in the best 22?

In fact, what does everyone see our 22 looking like come round 1?

Hodge Gardiner Witherden
Rich Adams Andrews
Christensen Berry Taylor
McStay Hipwood Cameron
Robinson McInerney McCarthy
Martin Neale Zorko
I: Rayner McCluggage Robertson Cutler

Bailey very stiff to miss out.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I'd say Adams yes as think he is probably a little better than Eagles and Walker.

McCarthy I'm less sure about. I admit I havent seen him play much but we have quite a few players fighting for that sort of position

Flea_29

All Australian
Oct 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Flea's 2019 Round 1 side
B: Robertson, Adams, Gardiner
HB: Witherden, Andrews, Hodge
C: Zorko , Rich, McCluggage
HF: Christensen, McStay, Rayner
F: Robinson, Hipwood, Cameron
Foll: Martin, Berry, Neale
I/C from: Bailey, Taylor, McInerney, Cutler, McCarthy, Walker, Cox, Starcevich

Key points
- Andrews further up the ground away from the goal square
- Rich in the middle, swapping with Witho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back