Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie now the highest rated non-midfielder in the coach’s votes.

LEADERBOARD
93 Marcus Bontempelli
86 Tim Kelly
83 Nat Fyfe
78 Patrick Cripps
76 Luke Shuey
73 Lachie Neale
72 Patrick Dangerfield
68 Brodie Grundy
67 Travis Boak
65 Ben Cunnington
64 Jack Macrae
62 Josh Dunkley
62 Elliot Yeo
60 Max Gawn
60 Dion Prestia
58 Dayne Zorko
57 Dustin Martin
53 Scott Pendlebury
52 Charlie Cameron
51 Brad Crouch

LEADERBOARD
93 Marcus Bontempelli
86 Tim Kelly
83 Nat Fyfe
78 Patrick Cripps
76 Luke Shuey
73 Lachie Neale
72 Patrick Dangerfield
68 Brodie Grundy
67 Travis Boak
65 Ben Cunnington
64 Jack Macrae
62 Josh Dunkley
62 Elliot Yeo
60 Max Gawn
60 Dion Prestia
58 Dayne Zorko
57 Dustin Martin
53 Scott Pendlebury
52 Charlie Cameron
51 Brad Crouch
Gawn and Grundy?

I feel like each week no one stands out. We have probably the most even contribution we have had in a long time.

Interesting thing Swanny mentioned on his interview with SEN tonight was that all gate takings in finals go straight to AFL not clubs. Did not realize that
happenned. Thought some of the takings would have went to the home team or both clubs. Average crowds last year 17,000 this year 24,000 at the gabba without this weeks games. He also mentioned when Brisbane play Richmond next week Brisbane will be having an open training session at the MCG on Saturday at 3.00 for fans access.

Last edited:

LEADERBOARD
93 Marcus Bontempelli
86 Tim Kelly
83 Nat Fyfe
78 Patrick Cripps
76 Luke Shuey
73 Lachie Neale
72 Patrick Dangerfield
68 Brodie Grundy
67 Travis Boak
65 Ben Cunnington
64 Jack Macrae
62 Josh Dunkley
62 Elliot Yeo
60 Max Gawn
60 Dion Prestia
58 Dayne Zorko
57 Dustin Martin
53 Scott Pendlebury
52 Charlie Cameron
51 Brad Crouch
Pick 12 still ok ?

Interesting thing Swanny mentioned on his interview with SEN tonight was that all gate takings in finals go straight to AFL not clubs. Did not realize that
happenned. Thought some of the takings would have went to the home team or both clubs.
I believe it's part of their "fairness" system so that all the clubs benefit from the finals system, not locking out over half the comp from a very lucrative stream.

The AFL manage all finals including stadium booking, ticketing, etc.

happenned. Thought some of the takings would have went to the home team or both clubs. Average crowds last year 17,000 this year 24,000 at the gabba without this weeks games. He also mentioned when Brisbane play Richmond next week Brisbane will be having an open training session at the MCG on Saturday at 3.00 for fans access.
Dlanod is correct in regard to fairness system. As can be seen from the below chart "2018 AFL Distribution To Clubs". The Lions did okay.

One line included in the article but not on the chart.
" Clubs in finals get prize money (about $1 million for the premier) and finals costs covered".

Would be interesting to see how much of that funding is AFLW related. The top few teams all have AFLW teams and the bottom few don't. Seems pretty clear they've allowed the smaller clubs AFLW teams as a way to pump more money into the club as a whole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be interesting to see how much of that funding is AFLW related. The top few teams all have AFLW teams and the bottom few don't. Seems pretty clear they've allowed the smaller clubs AFLW teams as a way to pump more money into the club as a whole.

Could also be that the bottom clubs are the most wealthy clubs and don't require too much assistance

I think we’re in a very good position getting to play 2 top 4 teams in the last 2 weeks. With a home final locked in its basically a free hit getting to play 2 top teams who are preparing for finals without the fear of being knocked out of finals.

If we can at least be very competitive and give them a good shake we’ll be very confident in the finals that on our day we’ll be able to beat anybody. Worse case scenario we finish 5th having had a great lesson in high intensity footy and should be very confident of knocking off eighth place and then take that confidence into the next week playing a finals week 1 loser.

I think we’re in a very good position getting to play 2 top 4 teams in the last 2 weeks. With a home final locked in its basically a free hit getting to play 2 top teams who are preparing for finals without the fear of being knocked out of finals.

If we can at least be very competitive and give them a good shake we’ll be very confident in the finals that on our day we’ll be able to beat anybody. Worse case scenario we finish 5th having had a great lesson in high intensity footy and should be very confident of knocking off eighth place and then take that confidence into the next week playing a finals week 1 loser.
I'm reasonably confident we will beat or run the Cats close. I'm more worried about the Richmond game. Not about losing, but potentially being thrashed at the G and the impact that will have on the team going into the finals.

I'm reasonably confident we will beat or run the Cats close. I'm more worried about the Richmond game. Not about losing, but potentially being thrashed at the G and the impact that will have on the team going into the finals.
Good point. We’ve struggled both at the MCG and against Richmond over the last 10 years so a touch up by them at the G on the eve of the finals could be quite detrimental.

It would be nice though if we can beat Geelong, Richmond beat WCE and have a top 2 spot sewn up before the Richmond game. I reckon it’ll be a real weight of the club and we go in with the freedom of just playing without worrying about whatever outcome we do or do not have to achieve in that game.

Word is that they’re expecting close to 70K for the Tiges v Lions clash next week.

When was the last time we played against a crowd that big?

I believe that would be our biggest non finals crowd ever right?

H&A season game would surely be the biggest. Again, another reason why it is the perfect experience and game to finish on. That size crowd will have an impact, and getting it out of the way early takes away the possibility of that surprising and/or overwhelming us during a finals game.

A section from the same article may help a little. It appears finding the exact AFLW funding to Clubs from the AFL is difficult.
The club mentioned is Melbourne. According to the chart they received $2.5 million in "Other Payments"
Just had a quick look at the Lions Annual Report and their is no mention in the figures of AFLW at all.

How much does an AFLW team cost?
AFLW funding is also included in the “Other Payments” section of the chart above. It’s difficult to pin down the picture for most clubs, but thanks to the Demons we have a good picture of how one AFL women’s program works.

According to the Melbourne annual report for 2018, their AFLW team cost $450k in player payments, and $401k in program costs, and they spent $192k on the winter VFLW competition. They received $886k in AFLW revenue, including AFL funding covering most player payments, with the remaining income being AFLW-specific sponsorship and membership.

This means that club absorbed the costs of their winter development team, and the AFLW team itself was effectively funded by the AFL’s player payments contribution and the club’s AFLW-specific club revenues.

I'm thinking that's the best prep game we can get before finals. At MCG, more than 60k crowd and feral Richmond fans screaming at everything that goes against them. It will be awesome for the team to get this hostile experience ticked off before real ones come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back