Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done this until I've gone blue in the face but here I go again.

Dan has kicked 73.45 over his career. (61.86%) That's better accuracy than anyone on our list bar Charlie.

This season 20.16 (55.55%)

I readily concede that he's missed some sitters and other relatively easy shots this season. But so have all of our other "goalkickers".

When he misses, he often misses badly and that with an element of groupthink, I believe fuels this perception that he's more likely to miss than goal.

Stastically, it's just not true.

Can we get a count of the out on the fulls?

Can we get a count of the out on the fulls?

zorkoooooooooo

Senior List
Oct 16, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Central Districts
I went to the Empress Hotel on Nicholson street for Saturday and there were lots of screens, and the Lions supporters outnumbers the Richmond supporters. Not bad food. It was pretty packed though so I was glad I booked a table near a screen.
Thanks 😎

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The Royal Derby Hotel (446 Brunswick St, Fitzroy) are big supporters of the club and I think are the "official" hotel of the Brisbane Lions in Melbourne.

They have quite a lot of Lions memorabilia around the place and have heaps of TV's.

The Melbourne Brisbane Lions office often have a number of functions there too, which I've attended. Its a great venue to be around fellow Lions if you're close to the area, which I'm not, but will attend Lions functions when they're on there.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
if you know the kind of people living in his area you'd know why.

I didn't realise his area is Strathpine. Drove out that way recently and noticed a house with southern cross flags out front. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything and a lot of decent people live there.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Coach number 5 gone!
Pyke given his marching orders.
Best thing for them. They will have a better chance of limiting the bleeding with so many players apparently looking to leave. Many still will though as they still need a reboot with the older players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coach number 5 gone!
Pyke given his marching orders.

Seems like sacking coaches has become a thing done to appease public sentiment and make boards feel like they are in control when teams don’t win the flag every year.

Where do people think they are going to find five top quality new coaches a year? That’s over a quarter of teams looking for an immediate fix - do they think the head coach is solely responsible for performance?

Can’t see this high turnover being good for the competition.

Our current model has Fagan in a coach management role with the coaches under him having greater responsibilities and input, and it’s consistent with other sporting codes around the world. Would have thought other clubs would have looked toward this model and supported their coaches through developing the next level coaching staff.

Wonder if the new coaches will cop the same fate in two years time.

What's the highest number of coaches that have been sacked or moved on in a year? This has got to be up there. Could feasibly end up with 7 senior coach changes by the end of the season.

Seems like sacking coaches has become a thing done to appease public sentiment and make boards feel like they are in control when teams don’t win the flag every year.

Where do people think they are going to find five top quality new coaches a year? That’s over a quarter of teams looking for an immediate fix - do they think the head coach is solely responsible for performance?

Can’t see this high turnover being good for the competition.

Our current model has Fagan in a coach management role with the coaches under him having greater responsibilities and input, and it’s consistent with other sporting codes around the world. Would have thought other clubs would have looked toward this model and supported their coaches through developing the next level coaching staff.

Wonder if the new coaches will cop the same fate in two years time.
Surely Vossy will get one of the 2 remaining?

Surely Vossy will get one of the 2 remaining?

He’d have to be a front runner, but why he’d put himself under that pressure is beyond me. The press will relate everything back to his ‘failure’ first time round. Some of it will make him look good,but they won’t hesitate to stick the boot in.

And now the windfalls from a successful season start to roll in :)

Brisbane locks in Easter Thursday fixtures for next three years, two of them against Collingwood

I can't get behind the paywall, but that is effing brilliant from the club. The absolute perfect thing to extract from the league after the season.

Now they take that, they go to sponsors, and they say 'we got Easter Thursday. That is ours, for at least three years'.

Easter Thursday in 2020 is 8 April and in 2021 1 April. So probably our first or second home game. Those will be huge nights for selling memberships.

Why is it up to us to give a leg-up to Collingwood?
Struggling clubs like Collingwood need a leg-up like a prime time game too. It's equalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back