Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bundy is just too slow these days. Cracks in, and defends well but gets caught with the ball every time. To improve we must give priority to AhChee or Cox - get the games they need into them. I would not be surprised to find out we do not have the list space to keep him, but would have no problem if we did.

When Bundy is around you just know he'll bob up with a crumb or a snap to keep scoreboard pressure. Well ahead of Rayner and McCarthy in forward craft in my view. I was lot more confident when he lined up for that last goal in semi.

I havent looked at any stats to back this up, but he just came across as someone with better accuracy than others. We need him for next year.

Not disagreeing, but he is long past his peak. In this game, as everyone knows, you have to improve to stay where you are. That means changes/hard decisions have to be made.

McCarthy was flashy, Rayner has potential but they were nowhere near Bundy in forward craft this year. Lot of times Bundy made something happen and I'd argue he was better than even having McStay in that forward line - this is in terms of impact on scoreboard and winning groundballs in F50. He looked possessed and played very well, helping us to lock that ball in whenever he's in the vicinity.

Our current forward stocks are not crash hot to be honest, those three listed are no way ahead of Bundy.

Last edited:

Noble just re-signed with us and has made it pretty clear he has no intention of being a senior coach, so I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Only risk would be if another club wanted him as their new CEO - he might go for that.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When Bundy is around you just know he'll bob up with a crumb or a snap to keep scoreboard pressure. Well ahead of Rayner and McCarthy in forward craft in my view. I was lot more confident when he lined up for that last goal in semi.

I havent looked at any stats to back this up, but he just came across as someone with better accuracy than others. We need him for next year.

100% agree on keeping Bundy was electric around goals at times and added another exciting dimension to our forward line

Sitting here, watching the buildup to the prelims, and I can't quite get into it, because inside there is a voice screaming

WE SHOULD BE THERE

Nothing compared to what the players are feeling, but.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am having a weird week. Not sure everything has sunk in yet.

One moment.. I am content and feel at peace with the situation. Mainly, I feel we aren't ready yet. I also feel mildly excited about what another preseason will do for this group and get excited thinking about watching next season unfold, where we aren't a bolter. Building from a real foundation.

Then I get waves of intense disappointment and anxiety about the magnitude of the wasted opportunity. I get really shitty that straight sets became out totally predictable but in the end (avoidable) reality after such an amazing season.

Then that wave goes away in about 5 minutes and I am sort of happy again.

Last edited:

bigroy87

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well done to you guys this year and were the better team against GWS. You are building a good club again the right way from the ground up with solid foundations. Fagan and Noble appear to be getting all the credit and rightly so to a point. I really like your coaching group and the way it has been assembled. Not many big names, but good coaches, when you check the background on them, they have all established good coaching resumes. My mate's brother is the midfield coach at the lions and everyone to a man rates him highly. Daly and Davis have been around, but also good coaches. Well done Lions.

werdna78

All Australian
Sep 29, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fulham Football Club
Anyone else a bit over reading "miracle injury run and easy draw, they will drop right off in 2020"?
Yep, some are even comparing us to Melbourne. The difference is, they sent about half their team for surgeries last year. Our playing list is cherry ripe for preseason and even Charlie only needs to wear a brace for a few weeks.

Also if we had lost to a few of the team's we beat twice, those teams would of been in the 8 and not us. You can only play who the AFL puts on front of you.

Like complaining about the weather, doesn't matter how much you do it, you can't change it.

From outside looking in, the Lions new system, focuses on the processes, doing the little things right and learning from your mistakes. Doing the team thing, if your not doing that, you're on the outer.

Anyone else a bit over reading "miracle injury run and easy draw, they will drop right off in 2020"?
  • miracle injury run - sure.
  • easy draw - yawn. Did Geelong have an easy draw, because our's was basically identical?
  • drop right off - maybe, if injuries happen to the wrong people. But if you look at the key guys most are incredibly durable and they're not hitting the age where injuries start adding up yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
yes great performance this year , amazing turn around and credit to Fagan and all the players I am very proud of the year ... but in truth the finals were an opportunity wasted , a double chance played at home and not a win , so many things wasted or badly played in both games, yes we will learn from them but it cannot be taken for granted just how hard and how things must go your way to climb that mountain again next year. we had a huge opportunity to host a prelim or at least play in one and we blew it , pure and simple, yes unlucky and ripped off in many ways but still we had a lot of chances

so .. we need to hurt ..a lot and get our system right were we failed and then go to another level yet again

can we do it ? my word we can but no more being under estimated by other teams ! its time to hunt Lions

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Mostly wishful thinking

• easy draw - yawn. Did Geelong have an easy draw, because our's was basically identical?

Vast majority of posters are just parroting what others have said and have no clue. Ask any one of them for an in depth analysis of our draw V other top 8 teams draws and you won't get much of a reply if any. At best something simplistic like we only beat four of the top 8 teams or something like that

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Noble just re-signed with us and has made it pretty clear he has no intention of being a senior coach, so I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Only risk would be if another club wanted him as their new CEO - he might go for that.

If I re-call, the plan was for him to move to the AFL after us? I thought there was some talk around that being part of the inducement to join us? if that goes ok the next step is high level admin with the AFL?

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mostly wishful thinking

Vast majority of posters are just parroting what others have said and have no clue. Ask any one of them for an in depth analysis of our draw V other top 8 teams draws and you won't get much of a reply if any. At best something simplistic like we only beat four of the top 8 teams or something like that

The draw thing is just plainly incorrect. Champ data had us ranked 9th for draw difficulty at the start of he year. We had a tough start, a patch of games where we had 5 of 7 games on the road. It was a middle ranking draw but not one of these bunny draws that get handed out most years.

yup :rolleyes:

Honestly the weighting system isn't a huge deal generally. It's like 2 games over the coures of a season. Who you get home games against honestly probably makes more difference. And one of our "bottom 6" doubleups played finals this year so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think what this year has shown is that the Brisbane Public really want to see the Lions do well.
And when they do well they will come in their droves.
NRL City or not, the AFL is a bloody good game to watch live and so much better than the Nrl.
The overwhelming thing I heard from people when leaving the game last weekend was that a good close game of AFL is bloody exciting and so good to watch and I reckon the Lions have converted a few Nrl fans for next year.
Here’s to 2020 and beyond.
Go Lions! 🦁

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Barrett and Hutchinson on the record saying that it's not about the reality it's about what they say people want to read. Thats where they start from...They are basically turning it into the Nicole and Keith splitting up/meghan Markle breaks royal protocol/brangelina homogenized crap

It will be harder next year but our 19 y/o will be 20 etc and we will no doubt rise to any tests under leadership and coaching. Let em come at us

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Sitting here, watching the buildup to the prelims, and I can't quite get into it, because inside there is a voice screaming

WE SHOULD BE THERE

Nothing compared to what the players are feeling, but.

I hear you bro.

I'm still trying to get over the team going out without a finals win.

We really should have put the Giants away.

I'm trying to be optimistic but gee it's a long road back to the finals again, even more so to Top 2.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So uh...

KaNQ8WcBxFsgFEQA0ImBQn-KiXg=.gif

Zz8uSivutzTqRMc7cyw-r9eRfJM=.gif

Wonder when the delistings will be announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back