Not open for further replies.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Mitch isn’t an elite skills player, and he is going to be overtaken sooner rather than later but the young ones who have less clangers.
When you look at clangers it stands out some of the games top players make the most clangers, I suspect it's because they're getting hard ball & clearing under huge pressure.

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Mate,with all the people you know, and all the inside info you hear about near every player in the AFL you must be 100 years old and drink in 10 dfferent bars a day.:D
Don’t choose to believe me but I know a couple people and my info is generally pretty good. Sorry I touched a sore spot with robbo.
But nothing I’ve said isn’t inaccurate at all. Otherwise he’d be captain on a ten year contract like you lot want
Unless you’re involved in the decisions and know exactly what’s going on with the club this comment (and your previous ones), just come off as dumb.
I’m not the only one around here with a bit of information that has said similar things on this forum.
It’s factyally true and as he drops down the pecking order next year I guess I’ll be proved correct.

This would be a very boring place if you lot who contribute nothing shout down everyone with a little info just because you don’t like what it is.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
I’m not the only one around here with a bit of information that has said similar things on this forum.
It’s factyally true and as he drops down the pecking order next year I guess I’ll be proved correct.

This would be a very boring place if you lot who contribute nothing shout down everyone with a little info just because you don’t like what it is.

It's got nothing to do with whether I like what you say or not. Didn't really shout it down either. It's related to you mentioning Robo's past from almost four years ago now, relying on very little information, then presenting it as fact. Don't think he should become captain, don't think at this stage in his career that he's going to get more than 1 year deals based on his age and injury history. However, I disagree with the reasoning that your representing as fact without having enough information.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don’t choose to believe me but I know a couple people and my info is generally pretty good. Sorry I touched a sore spot with robbo.
But nothing I’ve said isn’t inaccurate at all. Otherwise he’d be captain on a ten year contract like you lot want

Off the top of my head for the pst 2 or 3 years you've been right about Rocky, Yeo, Schache, Aish, Mayes, Robbo, Dawson... I too have some very solid connections but because we don't post all rainbows and butterflies everyone jumps on and calls it as BS. I mean, not sure bout you but if you want to read what the club wants you to know then just head to the Lions website or AFL.com.au. Inside goss is what I find more interesting than some X,Y,Z copy and paste article they roll out every year.

I love your scoops BP, and I'm sure the clique does too but just don't want to admit it. They could only dream of the connections and sources you have mate. Keep it up. :thumbsu:

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
A bit dramatic Billy.
"But nothing I've said isn't inaccurate at all"
That's an interesting sentence
Does this mean, everything you have said, is inaccurate??

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides

Inaccurate on this

Changed man up here but that’s been under the constant pressure of the rolling on year contracts that he cannot take even a slight step backwards. It’s worked out thus far

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/senior-trio-resign-with-lions-20151207-glhl0k.html

Not sure anyone is advocating giving Mitch the captaincy...Just putting doubt on keeping him in check.. Mitch bleeds for the club, he plays tough and hard and that's the way Fagan wants Mitch Robinson to keep playing "on the edge" and on record as saying
"I want Mitch to play on , I want him to play that way," Fagan said
. http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-04-05/fagan-on-playing-fearlessly

Mitch is also aware that the younger guys will step up as he mentioned while out injured... 2min mark in the video below. Sooner or later the game will go past him...nothing new there..This is the second year in a row injuries have taken their toll on him...This is his first 1 year contract has been offered and yes them 1 year contracts are more likely based that his body holds up as he gets older...rather
than complacency keeps in he could do monumental damage to the culture

Not sure anyone is advocating giving Mitch the captaincy...
To be fair, this conversation started because a poster suggested making Robbo captain and someone else suggested he be made VC or DVC.

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Robinson is a limited role player that gets over-rated. He has a very discreet skill set. He can play a midfield extractor role or he can take contested marks and play a third tall role in the forward line. On TV he looks glitsy with his diving tackles and hardness at the ball. When watching him live his defensive deficiencies become more apparent. He gets sucked into contests so his man ends up running free. Robby tries to make up for this with diving tackles but that just leaves him off his feet so the Lions are down one man at the contest. His disposal is questionable. He is very much a Rocky type bang it on the boot kind of guy. However teams have been rebounding off that type of play since the early part of this decade. His playstyle is very much suited for the game in the early parts of this century. However, the modern game is very much focussed on team defense and good ball use. He looks flashy on TV but I totally understand why the coaches have voted for him in the BnF. I wouldnt be surprised if Starc/McCarthy cement their spot in front of Robinson this year. Robinson will be a good depth player next year. Unsure if he will have a role in 2020.

DazzaE

Draftee
Nov 24, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just after people's thoughts - Do we win or lose by replacing beams with Lachie?

Just after people's thoughts - Do we win or lose by replacing beams with Lachie?

Win. Even if Beams stayed it was only for two years max. Neale probably better on the inside but we'll miss Beams work on the outside and when he gets near goal. It would have been nice to see them both play together but at worst short term it's a break even but a win in the long term imo.

singaport

Debutant
Dec 21, 2013
sunshine coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
port
I think the Lions have recruited well in the off season and look forward to more and more enjoyable seasons as the club progresses. On Beams i believe he would not have been here for the 3peat repeat.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

We never really replaced Beams with Lachie, Lachie was already on the way here. We replaced 29 yo Beams with Ely Smith and another first round pick next year (roughly). On current form we got unders but Beams is one bad injury away from being a bust and Ely might play 200 for us.

Regardless of navel gazing I'm glad he gone now. If Beams stayed it still would have been destabilising in terms of the groups commitment to each other. His lack of discretion in orchestrating a trade back to a premiership hopeful basically wiped out any credibility he had build within our group.

So to try and somewhat answer your question, we win big. Both are stars, one going out of his way to play with us and the other going out of his way to pledge commitment, then betraying that trust. Way better off without the latter.

Last edited:
An Eagles supporter in the Brisbane breakout thread on the main board brought up their jump from 16th to 4th from 2010 to 2011 and since I'm bored I decided to do a comparison of that Eagles team heading into 2011 with ours heading into 2019.

Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 3.58.30 PM.png

This is obviously a shallow examination and doesn't account for team depth, injuries and player's ages but based on experience in terms of games played and calibre of players both 22s actually match up reasonably similarly. Not suggesting we'll be able to jump up to top 4 or even the 8 because it took a lot going right for the Eagles to make such huge gains but it's still interesting to consider.
In the interest of discussion some of the things that helped the Eagles make the jump in 2011 were:

- Their experienced midfielders had great seasons with Priddis and Embley both making the AA squad, along with Kerr having a solid season despite missing a chunk of games through injury.
- Their most inexperienced players all hit the ground running with Shuey, Gaff and Darling all making top 10 for the Rising Star
- Their ruck division was the most dominant in the league with the Cox/Naitanui combo working to huge success as both players alternated between the ruck and time up forward. Cox made the All Australian team as ruck and the two kicked 38 goals between them for the season.
- One of the strongest forward division in the league. After kicking 40 goals the prior season Josh Kennedy has his breakout season making the AA squad and kicking 59 goals for the season. Had extremely strong support with other talls Lynch and Darling kicking 52 between them and small and defensive forwards Lecras and Nicoski kicking 47 and 41 respectively.
- Solid defence lead by Glass, who was All-Australian full back, Shannon Hurn providing strong rebound and their inexperienced talls holding up really well
- Finally they were almost unbeatable at home and won 10 of their 11 home games for the regular season

Would take a lot to go right for us to make a similar jump but certainly not impossible with what we've seen from teams in recent years. I don't see us making top 4 but if Zorko, Neale, Andrews, Martin, Hipwood and Cameron play every game, our youngsters continue the progression they've displayed and we can make the most of every game we play at the Gabba I'd say we're in with a shot to make the 8.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I find the personal abuse uncalled for and rather distasteful.
I think he is spot on with his statement.

Beams the footballer is an amazing thing to watch. Absolute gun. When he came here he showed us why we were not so good. Personally dont wish his any harm.

But if anyone feels he invested in us then they need to retake a few things. He had a very bad start to the year. No one wants that for anyone. But his body language all year sucked. Not looking forward to seeing him be a gun in a pies outfit.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I don’t know enough about most of the other teams in the league, so asking for peoples opinion.

Apart from Gold Coast, have any other teams gone backwards during the trade and draft period?

Or any teams on the decline we’re likely to overtake on the ladder?

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don’t know enough about most of the other teams in the league, so asking for peoples opinion.

Apart from Gold Coast, have any other teams gone backwards during the trade and draft period?

Or any teams on the decline we’re likely to overtake on the ladder?

Personally I think Port and the Crows both went backwards.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back