Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

First I’ve heard of this
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...9/news-story/0d876ecddcff8ef1426432d037af449c
BRISBANE

WHO’S FIT
The Lions have enjoyed a largely uneventful pre-season and have close to a full list available for match simulation. The majority of the players look to be in good nick and picking a standout isn’t easy. Given Charlie Cameron missed the back end of last season and left a huge void when he went out of the team, the sight of him in full flight probably stands out the most. Second and third year players such as Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Alex Witherden and Cam Raynor all appear a little bigger and stronger.

WHO’S HURT
Darcy Gardiner’s knee injury suffered at their training camp in Hobart last week was the first major hiccup for the Lions over the off-season. Gardiner limped off the intra-club scratch match with a PCL injury and will be out of full training for between six and eight weeks. Brisbane hope to experiment with key defender Harris Andrews in attack but with new recruit Marcus Adams the other Lion to have a slow start to his pre-season, those plans will be temporarily shelved until he gets some depth back into his defensive stocks.

WHO’S IMPRESSING
Ask Brisbane and they’ll say Lachie Neale, and there’s no doubt the former Docker is making a big impact at his new club. But every club says that when they spend big on a player and you’d expect someone of Neale’s standing in the game to hit the ground running. Brisbane’s hopes of climbing the ladder will rely on the continued development of the club’s under 22-year-olds and they are all making progress. But the standout would have to be Jarrod Berry. It seems he beats his personal bests every time he is tested but it is his maturity and emergence as a leader that is even more impressive.

I think the pressure is off McCluggage abit now. I feel he will be free to play his game. With the hype surrounding Neale and Berry. Think bags will take a big step forward this season. I'm hoping he can get his disposal numbers up around 28-30 a game he will have a huge year.

First I’ve heard of this
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...9/news-story/0d876ecddcff8ef1426432d037af449c
BRISBANE

WHO’S FIT
The Lions have enjoyed a largely uneventful pre-season and have close to a full list available for match simulation. The majority of the players look to be in good nick and picking a standout isn’t easy. Given Charlie Cameron missed the back end of last season and left a huge void when he went out of the team, the sight of him in full flight probably stands out the most. Second and third year players such as Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Alex Witherden and Cam Raynor all appear a little bigger and stronger.

WHO’S HURT
Darcy Gardiner’s knee injury suffered at their training camp in Hobart last week was the first major hiccup for the Lions over the off-season. Gardiner limped off the intra-club scratch match with a PCL injury and will be out of full training for between six and eight weeks. Brisbane hope to experiment with key defender Harris Andrews in attack but with new recruit Marcus Adams the other Lion to have a slow start to his pre-season, those plans will be temporarily shelved until he gets some depth back into his defensive stocks.

WHO’S IMPRESSING
Ask Brisbane and they’ll say Lachie Neale, and there’s no doubt the former Docker is making a big impact at his new club. But every club says that when they spend big on a player and you’d expect someone of Neale’s standing in the game to hit the ground running. Brisbane’s hopes of climbing the ladder will rely on the continued development of the club’s under 22-year-olds and they are all making progress. But the standout would have to be Jarrod Berry. It seems he beats his personal bests every time he is tested but it is his maturity and emergence as a leader that is even more impressive.

I vaguely recall that Andrews up forward has been discussed quite a bit on bf. I'm keen to see it happen in a preseason match at least. I think Walker stepping up in defence last season meant we have options that we can explore.

And from a fairytale perspective I'd be happy if Marty eagles reached the ones standard and got some games and defence is really his only possible option.

An Andrews and hipwood forward line could be a formidable combination.

Could be a risk of robbing Peter to pay Paul if it were a permanent move. But I think the likelihood of the coach doing that is pretty slim. Just looking to increase Harris' versatility, as with most other players.

Andrews is an AA squad member for a full back. Our team doesn't have a problem scoring but it does have a problem with its defence. Doesn't make sense to move him
Andrews was approaching Rance/McGovern levels last season, he's too important to move. Repels attacks in the air and now when the ball hits the ground as well, turns defense into attack and is one of our best ball users.
If Adams can play the role effectively Harris and Hipwood would be a lethal combination up forward. I'm all for it.
The Tom McDonald example is obviously attractive but I wonder it it's partly a function of Melbourne's focus on outnumbering at the contest and moving the ball forward at all costs. I'm fairly sure Hogan's seemingly inevitable departure had something to do with it. Plus you can also see the risks there, once Lever went down they really struggled to defend opposition talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our tall defence without Andrews looks pretty average right now. I think I’d rather keep him there and manufacture a forward line somehow. Don’t mind him as a change up option or if we simply don’t have matchups for all our tall defenders but not in favour of it as a plan A.

Harris has to start back for mine. No need to experiment with him forward.

I think Adams could play the role effectively if he is over his injury and plays forward in the preseason games.
Of Adam's 10 games in 2017 he played forward 3 times, taking 22 marks in those games and kicked 4 goals 7 behinds. One of those games was against Brisbane where he kicked 1 goal 1 behind before going onto Hipwood at half time.

Our tall defence without Andrews looks pretty average right now. I think I’d rather keep him there and manufacture a forward line somehow. Don’t mind him as a change up option or if we simply don’t have matchups for all our tall defenders but not in favour of it as a plan A.
It's hard to argue against that we are better with Andrews in defense , but don't under estimate the quality we have back there without him.
We did pretty good down there when he was out. Josh Walker and Dizzy in particular.
Having said that if Dizzy is unavailable then the mix would change.

If Mcstay starts kicking points at right angles then we need to try something different (plan B).

There is a huge question mark over Adams' durability. With Dizzy missing a large part of the preseason, contact stuff at least, it's hard to see us using this option in the first part of the season at least. I think we will have enough other scoring options, provided the forwards and mids live up to expectations.

My gut feel is that the first half of season they will play Harris in defence. If we are competing for top 8 and mcstay is going well they won't change things. However, if we are already no chance of making top 8 by bye and mcstay hasn't stepped up then we could see a move to the forward line for Harris (or Adams).

It's hard to argue against that we are better with Andrews in defense , but don't under estimate the quality we have back there without him.
We did pretty good down there when he was out. Josh Walker and Dizzy in particular.
Having said that if Dizzy is unavailable then the mix would change.

If Mcstay starts kicking points at right angles then we need to try something different (plan B).

Didn't we win a string of games while Harris was out injured?

Didn't we win a string of games while Harris was out injured?

We did, but two of those wins were Freo (albeit away) and Carlton who were below average to awful up forward. We also dominated the midfield in both of them which kept the pressure off.

Even the Hawks really don't have the defensive matchups to stress us without Harris - Roughy is well past his best and Gunston isn't a big power forward so dizzy could go with him. Walker did play well in those three games but I think we are a far better side structurally with Harris in defence.

Very unlikely that we will win, hopefully will have everyone playing (Berry, Christenson), will hopefully do at least "well".

Thoughts on first match back against West Coast? How do you guys think we'll go?

West coast, even though they shouldn't, will be cocky and take half a game to settle in.

We'll start strong and hold our own, it'll be high scoring as holes open up under the new rules. Sometime in the late 3rd/4th quarter west coast will find their finals form and will pull away. Pulling away under the mew rules could be blow out score but we won't know that for a few weeks so we will all be woe is us, we're crap, another failed year.

Then we win the next 3 games on the trot and we will start talking finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back